Watch & Learn: CODE GEASS #14

Topic started by No_name_here on May 10, 2011. Last post by zaldar 3 years, 2 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Mao doesn't exactly travel incognito.
 Mao doesn't exactly travel incognito.

Even though the parallels to Misa Misa and Ray Penber are abundant and screaming in the little mind control Mexican stand-off (CC even dresses like Misa!), I’m going to resist ever urge within me and lay off the comparisons to DEATH NOTE. You Anime Vice lunatics get the point.

I have to imagine that the dubbing staff must’ve got a kick out of this one. After 13 episodes of intense internal monologue, it was a hoot to witness Lelouch’s bubble get burst so brusquely when this Mao guy hears and responds to everything he’s saying in his head. It does bring up the interesting question of how you could ever fight somebody who can read your mind, though. Is any offensive fundamentally futile in that scenario, or is there something to be said about the reflexive speed of physical violence? That is, if you’ve sharpened your instincts enough that your muscles are doing most of the thinking, does it really matter if your opponent can see the punches coming when he isn’t physically fast enough to dodge them?

Let it never be said that this isn’t a thought-provoking show!

The ending makes it seem pretty clear that “Lulu” used the geass on Shirley to make her forget everything she knew about him. It happened so quickly that I suppose I haven’t really decided yet if it was a cruel or merciful thing to do. I’ll guess that Lelouch’s days at the academy are finished (as they would’ve been, even if he hadn’t wiped her mind.) He’d have to blank every student, teacher and janitors’ brains too for Shirley’s oddly-conspicuous amnesia to not stick out to anyone. So, now, he’ll have to push her along to go wander Japan aimlessly while he returns back to class and shrugs any time she’s brought up. Rebellion or no, that’s still a mighty nasty thing to do a girl you dated.

Watch this episode "Geass vs. Geass" below, decide for yourself and then read my comments on the previous episode here.      

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by Lurkero (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Naruto actually brought up the reflexive speed early in the show, and yes, reading a mind in a fight doesn't matter if you can't keep up anyways.

I was creeped out by this new guy. When he showed up I got the same feeling I had when Legato came out of nowhere in Trigun. All he really did was tease Vash and try to be a jerk, and he really didn't have to move a finger.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I felt this part of the story sort of broke the tempo of the basic theme, but in the long run I understand it's place.

It was a mixture of kindness and cruelty what Lelouch did to her. He knew the grief was ripping Shirley's mind and soul. It's these sort of actions that separate Lelouch and Light. Light would of killed her and not even cared. Lelouch feels sorrow for his actions that hurt the people close to him.

@lurkero: 
The problem is that Lelouch is a tactician. He thinks and double thinks his tactics. He needs to know how his opponent can move before he can make a strategy. It's like when you play chess. To plot your next move, you need to understand the limits of your enemies abilities.
Post by zaldar (1,236 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Nope the academy stuff isn't done yet...it just gets weirder...I am with you though show would have been better if they didn't try to shoehorn in the academy stuff after this.  The way lulu (how I love that nickname) figures out to fight this guy is interesting, though one of the many times from here on out sense kinda goes out the window.
Post by kurovet (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

the best episode yet
Post by Rxanadu (83 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@kurovet said:
" the best episode yet "
I have one thing to say about the episode after the next: turrets are useless
Staff
@lurkero said:

" Naruto actually brought up the reflexive speed early in the show, and yes, reading a mind in a fight doesn't matter if you can't keep up anyways.

Naruto just has ALL the answers, doesn't it? Believe it!
 When he showed up I got the same feeling I had when Legato came out of nowhere in Trigun. All he really did was tease Vash and try to be a jerk, and he really didn't have to move a finger. "

He DOES have a Legato vibe!
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I felt this part of the story sort of broke the tempo of the basic theme, but in the long run I understand it's place.
Dare I say, it's like a drum solo in a larger ensemble piece?
Staff
@zaldar said:
" Nope the academy stuff isn't done yet...it just gets weirder...I am with you though show would have been better if they didn't try to shoehorn in the academy stuff after this.  The way lulu (how I love that nickname) figures out to fight this guy is interesting, though one of the many times from here on out sense kinda goes out the window. "
That'd be awesome if there's a whole episode's whose conflict revolved around Lelouch studying for a math exam.
Staff
@rxanadu said:
" @kurovet said:
" the best episode yet "
I have one thing to say about the episode after the next: turrets are useless "
I'll put that one in my field manual.
Post by endaround (19 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" That'd be awesome if there's a whole episode's whose conflict revolved around Lelouch studying for a math exam. "
Nothing as pedestrian as a math exam.  But yeah basically there is.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Such a cliche episode. I felt like I was watching a segment from a dozen other, lesser anime, and I'm really glad that it was a one-of-a-kind episode. This Mao guy just doesn't belong in Geass at all, and while the events are quite important to the future , it was ham-handedly done. 
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Mao is one of my most hated Geass characters. He's such an annoying pain in the ass.
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I like this episode, because it brings up the fact that there's more to geass then Lelouch and C.C. Up till this point in the series, Lelouch (and the viewers) have just taken Geass for granted, but there is much more to it. And it's not as much as a gift as it seems.

Also, um, i can see the Misa similarities, but where do you see Ray Penber?
Post by zaldar (1,236 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Tom_Pinchuk: Thankfully that doesn't happen...that would be normal, what does...as you have seen a little bit of in the next episode.  Isn't.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel