Watch & Learn: CLAYMORE #19

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 2, 2011. Last post by Mooseslayer 3 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
"Stop cutting your own head off" is the new "stop hitting yourself."
"Stop cutting your own head off" is the new "stop hitting yourself."

That was one killer cliffhanger, friends. I knew that Raki would eventually fall into the bosom of the enemy, but I didn’t expected him to be pulled in to that bosom with such friendly tenderness. Unless Priscilla shows her real stripes soon, I expect we’ll get a scene of him begging Clare not to kill his “cool new friend” and crying in the way he does. Actually, it’s mad intriguing that Priscilla looks so much like Riful, now. It’s been more than 10 years, right? Perhaps that’s a hint to the natural transformation cycle of these Awakened Beings. Lady to monster and then to a deceptively-cute lil’ moppet? Actually, a real part of this show’s appeal has been the grotesquely-delightful unpredictability of what shape these monsters take after they turn. And I suppose that makes up for how that makes up for how the Claymores are nearly indistinguishable.

Part II of this “Carnage in the North” arc is another combat procedural episode and, thus, it’s something that's perhaps better experienced than described (or reviewed, for that matter.) All I can say is that, once again, the action (especially the gag with the talking severed head and the 9,000 cuts needed to destroy it) somehows manages to work on screen even though it sounds real stupid when said aloud.

Well, then... since we’re nearing the final stretch of this series, maybe I ought to make some predictions of how this will all shake out by the end. I’m picturing total chaos, regardless, but you can put your over/unders on the following bets...

1. All the Claymores will die except (maybe) Clare.
  2. Clare will have to transform into a monster to save the day. Raki's love will help her control it.
  3. Part and parcel of all that, Clare will ascend to rank #1.
  4. Raki's either going to get eaten or he's going to be turned by the King of the North.

Remember this list well. We'll be coming back later to see how wrong or right it turned out to be.

Watch this episode "The Carnage in the North (Part 2)" below, decide for yourself and then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Dinstar (5 posts) See mini bio Level 4

Oh, I'm rooting for the first part of #4 !  

I already saw the ending of the serie though ... :)   
It's true he cries some more! But didn't he cry every episode?
Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I will try to keep any potentials to a minimum, however it is at this point going on that Claymore the show began to unravel more than any point before. There are two major story threads going on: Claire's own personal back story and the larger war in the North. The show at its climax balances these two points poorly, and doesn't let either finish in any satisfactory way.

And that list is correct, partly.

Post by Lurkero (408 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Don't forget that Claymore is an ongoing manga. The predictions you have for the end of the anime may not happen because they are drawn out over more chapters in the manga.
Post by adoggz (210 posts) See mini bio Level 11
oh god. why is anyone trying to watch claymore after they go to the snowy place? it goes so sideways there its not even funny. Just stop and read the manga instead of finishing the anime.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Wrong on all but 1 of your bets Tom
Post by metalsnakezero (673 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Well you got all but one right in your predictions Tom. Now after this point in the Anime that they stray away from the Manga and make something up that really breaks the whole story that they had going for it in the beginning.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@metalsnakezero said:
Well you got all but one right in your predictions Tom. Now after this point in the Anime that they stray away from the Manga and make something up that really breaks the whole story that they had going for it in the beginning.
All but one right? all but one wrong is more like it.
Post by Mooseslayer (1 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Interesting

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel