Watch & Learn: CLAYMORE #13

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 19, 2011. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 11 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Yet, somehow, this didn't cut her apart?
Yet, somehow, this didn't cut her apart?

Whoa whoa whoa… slow down there, little miss. I can handle all the maiming and dismemberment without batting an eyelash, but you’re making me blush with each of those F-bombs.

Ha, I’ll give it to the series for flaunting its TV-MA rating with such aplomb. It’s maybe even a little cathartic for evil ol’ Ophelia to be going on that blue streak after twelve episodes that’ve been most free of cursing. You might even say it feels like… awakening.

I’ve got to say that it feels like there’s an added dimension for which Claymores awaken and which are corrupted by the switch-flipping. It seems like the girls who have an enthusiasm-unto-zeal for slaying Yoma and Awakened Beings (and for their own slaying prowess, too) are far more likely to turn than the more “mediocre” ones with even-keel personalities. Remember how much of a goody-goody Priscilla was before she became this Organization’s #1 adversary? Pride cometh before the fall, and all that, but it’s reminding me of how my class presidents were always the biggest troublemakers in secret. The kid whose Mom was the D.A.R.E. den mother (or whatever) was getting into drugs long before any other kids did. Here we’ve got Ophelia turning evil after what seems to be her first lost ever, while Clare’s got a handle on her awakening and is even getting her own Mr. Miyagi to teach her how to sharpen her new power.

Speaking of which… as engaging as these training scenes with Elena are, would it have killed them to cut it into a montage and set it to some upbeat power rock? Maybe something by Stan Bush or Joe Esposito?

And, man, even if those parts where Claymores reattach their own limbs and basically solder them back on felt a little excessive, I don’t know if I’m open-minded enough to get used to Clare missing an arm for the rest of the series. Claymores grow limbs back, lizard style, right?

Watch this episode "The Endless Gravestones (Part 2)" below, decide for yourself and then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I had totally forgot about there being F-bombs and nudity in this show until I rewatched these couple episodes. You're only half way through the show though so don't worry too much about things. A Claymore's regeneration ability depends on what type they are. Offensive-based ones are more powerful but have a weaker/longer regeneration. Defensive-based ones are weaker in combat but have better defensive and regenerative abilities.

I laughed when you mentioned Stan Bush. But something up-beat isn't Claymore's style. The show it too dreary and it would mismatch completely. But if you want some Stan Bush then here you go:

Post by Lurkero (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I watched Claymore through a fan translation. I wasn't aware that there was actually so much profanity.
Post by cowdrunk (39 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Just you wait her arm ishues get even better next episoed. :D

Staff

@sotyfan16: Stan Bush is appropriate for all occasions.

Staff

@Lurkero said:

I watched Claymore through a fan translation. I wasn't aware that there was actually so much profanity.

Your fan translators are goody-goodies.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Tom_Pinchuk:
Is that because one of his songs says, "You got the touch!"? haha

@Lurkero said:

Your fan translators are goody-goodies.

As for this, I have seen some fan-subbers be pretty lax on language but I've also seen some take liberty and spice things up. Are you watching the dub, Tom? If you are then it would explain why the language is there since US dubbing takes some liberties with the script and adds some language or swaps derogatory terms.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Tom_Pinchuk
Slight nitpick, Elena the Claymore you linked in this review is the wrong character, you meant Irene... she is the one who teaches Clare the quick sword technique, Elena was the one Clare killed in episode 2 to prevent her from awakening.  

EDIT: Though Irene's name is Ilena in the dub so I totally understand the mix-up
Post by zaldar (1,236 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@EganTheVile1: yet another reason to watch subs....(I'm really enjoying being a dick to much recently...)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel