CASSHERN SINS #6 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 6, 2012. Last post by metalsnakezero 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Pressing forward with this ongoing comparison between CASSHERN and MEGA MAN, I’m quite curious now as to whether this “Dio” dude has shown up in any previous iteration of this franchise. If he did, and he was still presented as a more powerful "evil Casshern" with a darker color scheme, then that’s some pretty incriminating evidence for where the ideas for Protoman and Zero came from. The series of revelations I’m experiencing here must be somewhat akin to some life-long Elvis fan learning that basically every one of the King’s hits was a sped-up and pepped-up cover of a bluesman’s song.

On a less esoteric note, I’ve got to say that this episode had some seriously visceral and kinetic fights. A lot of times, wuxia-style “wire-fu” brawls can lean a little too balletic and seem robbed of any sort of practical intent. Here, when Dio and Casshern fight, it really does seem like a couple of furies going at each other in the only way their larger-than-life abilities dictate. I’m specifically thinking of the parts where Dio does some sort of spinning dive-bomb suplex on Casshern, then proceeds to repeatedly stomp the poor bastard right into the rock. Ouch.

I feel like I’m going to have to institute a personal ban on using the word “operatic” to describe this show, but that’s never-the-less what I keep going to do with each episode. For as kickass as the action gets and for as lush as the animation is, seeing this sort of philosophical pathos as play is what’s really making my gears spin.

I really wanted to avoid bringing this up - - lest my self-promotion get too excessive - - but the plot of this actually has a lot similarities to my first comic. That series was about a sentai-like cyborg killing machine who’s created to defeat a monstrous wizard overlord. By a mistake in calculation, he’s activated 20 years after that overlord’s taken over Earth and turned into a post-Apocalyptic wasteland - - leaving this hero with literally nobody left to save. All that's left for him to do at that point is slay the overlord and his minions.

Believe it or not, that comic was titled RUIN. And I wrote it in ’05! This series ripped me off! (Kidding, kidding. Nobody take that accusation seriously, all right?)

Watch this episode, "Reunited With Fate” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Kuro_San (1,338 posts) See mini bio Level 11

1: YEAH DIO! SING Holy Diver....

2: HE'S NOT THAT DIO!

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Operatic is perfect though. Combat ballet totally sums up Dio and Cash's encounters in the series.
Post by metalsnakezero (665 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Since Casshern is pretty old, information on the series is hard to find so I can't confirm if Dio is original or not. But yeah, Operatic is a good description of whats going on.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel