CASSHERN SINS #5 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 5, 2012. Last post by LordTerminal 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

And there are already enough pink-haired robot girls in this show to confuse me as to who is who. Score! This one isn’t the one who gets her jollies from fighting and has presumably fallen madly in love with Casshern for his ultimate fighting skills, right? I got that squared after maybe the third browbeat she administered onto our self-hating hero.

Much like how you can generally tell if a novel’s going to be any good by the first ten pages, I suspect that the strengths and weaknesses for CASSHERN SINS on the whole have become apparent in this first handful of episodes. The operatic sweep of this post-Apocalypse - - with Casshern having doomed the world by unknowingly (?) slaying this messianic moon girl - - has all the grand pathos of a classical tragedy. The action is savage and balletic, at once; lending an artistic color to the plot which allows it to descend to the deepest melancholic depths without seeming overwrought and self-serious.

But... the pacing here has already started to weigh all that down. The first half of this episode went on so long, it had to fill all the excess screen time with some redundant dialog. Seriously, the back-and-forth of accusations and denials between the two made me think of that whole “Yes, you did!” “No, I didn’t!" exchange from AQUA TEEN- - and I doubt that's what they were looking for. Maybe there’s something in Asimov’s Laws of Robotics stating that machine are inherently this stubborn. If the crew is going off of that, they could afford to use some of their own poetic license.

I really, really don’t want this series to fall prey to sort of pity party inner monologues that we rag on so much on the Vice Pit. Casshern can have some angst, sure - - he can have plenty of it, in fact. But he doesn’t have to be so talky about it, all right?

Watch this episode, "The Man Who Killed the Sun Named Moon” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Kuro_San (1,352 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Casshern T-T

Post by metalsnakezero (680 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I wont give away on how the story goes but it is very much heading in to the classical tragedy. The women Casshern meets is a pain in the behind but thats her point, to be a annoyance to both the main character and to the audience.

Post by LordTerminal (69 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Seriously, the back-and-forth of accusations and denials between the two made me think of that whole “Yes, you did!” “No, I didn’t!" exchange from AQUA TEEN- - and I doubt that's what they were looking for.

Excuse me, I'm going to go search YouTube and see if someone already hasn't paired those two up yet....

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel