Rin is Best Orphan (Bunny Drop Review)

Topic started by Elfenlied1012 on Dec. 4, 2012. Last post by Elfenlied1012 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Bunny Drop
Bunny Drop

Hi gents and ladies of anime vice. It’s me, M here returning after a bit of a break from vice and getting back into reviews. This time I’m reviewing the 2011 anime title Bunny Drop more (commonly known as Usagi Drop) An anime based on the very divisive manga by the same name. However I’ve heard the anime takes all the good elements from its manga original, but leaves the bad behind. Well are they right?

Rin is an adorable entity of good
Rin is an adorable entity of good

Bunny Drop is defined as Josei (I genre I historically fail to pronounce correctly) or ladies anime. In my experience this means it has a lot of sex and depression over the male counterpart seinen of which is filled death and misery. This I’m glad to report is not the case with Bunny Drop as the series is a variable ray of god damned sunshine and hope that can even make my cold and indifferent heart melt. The story follows a thirty year old man named Daikichi. When his grandfather dies it is discovered that he left behind an illegitimate 6 year old daughter named RIn (Gramps was an lively old man). When his family treats her with nothing, but disdain Daikichi is disgusted and decides to take on the child himself. From there he learns what sacrifices he has to make as a new single parent and the joy people can find in their heart from the happiness they instill on their children.

Even Side character grow on you even if they tend to have a rocky start
Even Side character grow on you even if they tend to have a rocky start

I know I’ve probably lost most of you with the very “hippie-rainbows-and-sunshine” description of this anime, but there is a definite reality to the feelings a parent, biological or otherwise, has for the child in their care. Bunny drop immerses you into their family world and for the most part made me care very deeply for not only this very special little girl, but also for Daikichi and all the sacrifices he make for her while seeming only to grow happier the closer they get as a family. It’s similar to Yatsuba both in narrative and its “ray of god damn sunshine” effect, but differs by simply by being more mature in its narrative and depth (plus Rin is cooler hands down). Well written and developed with the added bonus subtlety and proper pacing that make it simply one of the most well executed anime’s I’ve seen.

Except for her. Her misery makes me smile.
Except for her. Her misery makes me smile.

What negatives in bunny drop can really hardly damage it. The story doesn’t have drama aside from the real difficulties of raising a child and it’s not specifically fast paced for those with low attention span. It’s not super funny or narratively complex, but then again it’s not trying to be and for the most part I prefer bunny drop as is. Its art while interesting in style (designed to look occasionally like the inside of a girls coloring book) is fairly lack luster, but competent enough. The legitimate issues probably are that it’s ungodly short (11 episodes) and the series doesn’t build up to any big moment to end on, just kind of floats away leaving the audience behind, though admittedly to rig up some “dramatic climax” would damage the series more than help.

Bunny drop at its core is a very sweet story of a single parent and his little girl. It’s got the same execution and brilliance

Their interactions are some of the sweetest things I've seen
Their interactions are some of the sweetest things I've seen

as say another personal favorite of mine Anohana. Although not quite as good as Anohana due to the limitations of its very real world and real world level of drama, but still fairly masterful. Bunny Drop while not exactly making me cry managed to give me some real since of emotion and love for the characters that not much else can accomplish. It left me feeling warm, happy and grateful for the experience. What more can I ask? Bunny drop gets 4 missing teeth out of 5. Damn, 2011 was a good year for anime.

Alright Later Vice, M's got to go fist fight bears.
Alright Later Vice, M's got to go fist fight bears.
Post by rubberluffy (566 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Everyone seems to love this anime because it ends at the manga's halfway point. I haven't watched or read it, but I've seen countless posts/reviews that mention how the manga just screws itself over in the second half, so maybe them cutting it short and leaving no definite ending was completely intentional

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@rubberluffy: While I wouldn't go so far as to say intentional seeing as I'm sure if they were green lighted for a second season they would, but after hearing some specifics about the latter portion of the manga well... if the details are true then yeah its upsetting even

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel