The missing feature: Email Notification

Topic started by YotaruVegeta on June 3, 2014. Last post by YotaruVegeta 6 days, 9 hours ago.
Post by YotaruVegeta (566 posts) See mini bio Level 12

It is 2014. I think that the greatest help to keeping interested in a discussion thread has been e-mail notification. I'd simply like to know why Anime Vice does not- or cannot- implement this? I don't recall what Whiskey media site it was, but I did receive an email notification from on of them, once.

The funny thing is, if I don't remember to keep track of this topic, I may never learn if there was any reply.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,195 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@YotaruVegeta: While there's no email notification for individual threads (you can get notifications for almost everything else) you can favourite specific boards. Doing that will show the most recent posts from those boards in the forum activity at the bottom of the main page. That's how I keep track of threads. The anime/manga series discussion board is a good one to favourite, for example.

Post by takashichea (11,909 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@YotaruVegeta:

We used to get e-mail notifications for replies, follows, writing on the walls, and wiki submissions. Since you only follow a few forums, just turn off the preferences of the threads you don't follow. I know you don't view RPG, battle forums, general discussion, and off-topic forum. You're more of a front news person. I turn off RPG and battle forums because I don't use them.

I would simply like to get a new e-mail for every forum topic or article comment section I participate in.

Online Now

@YotaruVegeta:

After the Whiskey Media Sale out, we didn't have a strong engineering presence like Daniel and Ethan Lance. That requires engineering and an overhaul in the infrastructure. What Daniel Newton and I suggest was alternatives for the issue here.

Ah, I see.

So what about RSS? For some sites I frequent, they will have a comments RSS for every article posted.

Online Now

@YotaruVegeta:

We do have one, but I'm not sure if the e-mail system works. Some users notice the e-mail to create a user account isn't working 100 percent after the Whiskey Media sale out. Without a new subscription process like they have in Tested, there is likely to be no e-mail notifications. I haven't tried subscribing it if you want me to test it out. I'm not familiar with RSS.

It does update though, but I prefer checking the front page.

I know of all the RSS feeds AV offers, and I use one of them. I just want a comments RSS, even if it's all comments across the site. I don't know if the team at AV is capable of doing it. I wouldn't know the first thing about how creating a feed works, or how complex it is.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel