Birthdays on Character Pages

Topic started by Kyjin on Dec. 14, 2008. Last post by takashichea 1 week, 3 days ago.
Post by Kyjin (12 posts) See mini bio Level 5
When I was editing a character page, the system requires me to add a year for the character, but a lot of shows don't have years specified with them. (Or they take place in other universes and have different years, ex. Geass, Gundam)  Is there anyway way to add birthdays without years attached?
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
Can you link to a page you are having a problem with?
I was working on Kei Takishima.
http://www.animevice.com/kei-takishima/18-17602/
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
So I just tested editing that character and it does not require me to put in the birthdate, it can be left blank.    

I guess you are saying you want to be able to put in a birth day and birth month without the year.  Yeah sorry we cant do that right now.

I'd say this is not  a bug but a feature request.
Alright, I'll add it to the feature request thread.

I originally did try to put a birthdate in, and then I got an error saying it was invaild. (When I didn't have a year) I then removed what I had written, then saved the page since I had other edits, and I got an error saying the birthday field was required.

Sorry I didn't explain it all in the first post. ^^;
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Generally if Im dealing with a series that doesnt go by our years, Id just put the year when the series was released. Everyone knows that Itachi and Naruto weren't born in 1999, but thats what Id put down, since that when they were conceived
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Kyjin said:
"I originally did try to put a birthdate in, and then I got an error saying it was invaild. (When I didn't have a year) I then removed what I had written, then saved the page since I had other edits, and I got an error saying the birthday field was required."
From what I remember, once you start editing the date the system won't be happy until you supply one. If you don't edit it, then it will not be required.

One should be able to leave it blank if one has second thoughts and decides not to add the date after editing, I think. It will say: birth: this field is required if you try to hit Save Changes, after you leave it blank. The field should be ignored if it is blank (after you edit it and erase it), I think.

Error, but birthday field is blank (after erasing what was there).
Error, but birthday field is blank (after erasing what was there).
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yep. That's the way it is.

A common problem on Giant Bomb is that sometimes someone fills in a character's real name and birthday with the name and birthday of the actor who portrays the character on TV. I can remove the name, but unfortunately the date remains.
Post by takashichea (11,977 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Read this thread please.

For birthdays, we can only put in full dates. We can just add month and day without the year. Sometimes, we can't add birthdays for folks who was born in 555 or numbers that go back 1000 such as one of the Hetalia characters, Japan.

Believe, you won't be the last person I moderate wiki and run into this glitch.

Post by takashichea (11,977 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Please refer to this thread as well. Thank you.

Edit:

One day, we have a fuzzy date feature for our birthdays because most characters don't have full birthdays.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel