BLACK LAGOON an Anime for Hollywood? - - THE VICE PIT

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 8, 2012. Last post by YotaruVegeta 1 year, 9 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Other Vice Pit sessions on...

• All Anime Questions Answered!
  • FAIRY TAIL the Next Top Shonen?
  • Mecha to Take Over Hollywood?
  • Real World Problems in Anime?
  • Shonen's Just like Pro-Wrestling?
  • Do You Power Through Bad Anime?
  • MADOKA MAGICA Destroys Magical Girl?
  • DRAGON BALL Z is So Silly!
  • ARG! Frustrating Anime Endings!
  • Interrogating an Anime Noob!
  • The Perils of American Anime Remakes?
  • Top 3 Greatest Classic Anime Ever!
  • Our Dream Anime Projects!
  • Why are Anime Heroes So Sad?
  • Top 3 Scariest Anime Monsters Ever!
  • What's Wrong with Anime Games?
  • ONE PIECE vs. DRAGON BALL Z!
  • Worst Anime Video Games Ever!
  • Should You Cosplay in Real Life?
  • Anime Handles Cyborgs Better?
  • Our Favorite Robots?
  • Top 3 Greatest Villains of All Time!
  • Oh Crap! It's Anime Filler!
  • The Secret of Mecha Anime!
  • Are Remakes Necessary?
  • What Was Your First Anime?
  • Anime Convention Gossip!
  • Anime Makes You Cry!
  • We are the Ambassadors of Anime!
  • What Makes A Good Anime Club?
  • CHAMPLOO Better Than BEBOP?
  • Can Anime Ever as Popular in America?
  • Why Do Fighting Game Always Lose?
  • Worst Anime Ever...!
  • Can Anime Ever Compete with Piracy?
  • Is Anime Really Going to Die?!?!
  • Otaku Mega Dating Special!!
  • It's Come to This - - Anime Crushes
  • How Much Better Is Old School Anime, Really?
  • Anime Ripping Off American Cartoons?
  • The Top 3 Greatest Anime Theme Songs of All Time!
  • DIGIMON - - A Harmless or Harmful Escape?
  • Manga vs. American Comics
  • The Most Epic Anime Deaths of All Time!
  • Your Most Hated Anime Tropes!
  • Are Miyazaki Movies Unwise to Introduce Anime?
  • When You're Embarrassed to Like Anime?
  • Why is AKIRA Still Popular?
  • TIGER & BUNNY: The Next Big Thing in Anime?
  • Dub Vs. Sub
  • KIDS ON THE SLOPE
  • YU YU HAKUSHO
  • Comic Con / Anime Expo 2012
  • CAT PLANET CUTIES
  • Toonami / FUJIKO MINE
  • DRAGON AGE
  • Be sure to submit questions and topics for a future Vice Pit session here. We will answer them!

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Sam Weller is a writer and actor who's scribed for shows like FIRST EDITION, GEEK THERAPY, and most recently BATGIRL: SPOILED. He also really likes anime. To know what is going to happen next, follow@cravesam

Post by jj_jackson (116 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I enjoyed Black lagoon throughly. Its in my man anime pile right next to Gurren lagann lol And a hollywood adaption would probably work great for black lagoon. The director of kick ass would be a good person to pull it off.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25

You call it a manly show, but did you notice that the most powerful characters in this series are women? Revy, Balalaika, Roberta, Shenhua, and Eda. However, did you watch the five episode OVA series BLACK LAGOON: ROBERTA'S BLOOD TRAIL, Sam? FUNimation has it up on YouTube now. I wrote a pretty non-spoiler review of it on Anime Vice.

I always refer to Roanapur as a gangster paradise.

I've always considered BLACK LAGOON a series about villains with no real heroes. There are only degrees of villainy, and Rock is trying to discover what sort of villain he's going to be in this city.

Oh, keep Hollywood away from this series.

Post by Aleasha (1,430 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Welcome back Sam!

I enjoyed Black Lagoon and had a lot of the same opinions on the correlation to Cowboy Bebop. Its a bit to action heavy for my regular viewing tastes but its definitely one you reach for when your in that action kind of mood.

Psycho Pass takes a few episodes and revelations to see what could be and now 9 episodes in I enjoy it a lot. Its a pretty great series.

Post by Marshal Victory (2,288 posts) See mini bio Level 13

1st an formost welcome back Sam.If you watched the blue ray for Black Lagoon that is up to season 2. You NEED

to see Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail which is the 3rd season sort of.Yes the rabit hole gets darker.. ok that sounds just wrong .Point is its even more darker/bloodier than what the 1st two seasons set up.

This is the anime series i use to get friends into anime.Point about Revy her past reflects some of how she is.But to me never once thought "eyecandy" bofy language never even sugested that to me.Friend of mine likes her because shes more tuff than fluff.

Also i describe the show as Sin City with pt boats.That level of cool with good adult modern noir.

Writers,Artist an Studios i look at?

Madhouse Studios more often than not i like their animation style.Marvel comic stuff did not detract from my over all respect for this studio.

Masamune Shiro if for nothing else his character designs.

Shinichiro Watanabe from robotech on hes done some cool stuff.

Toshihiro Kawamoto key animation on many good anime.

J.C. Staff has published anime i seem to at the very least like .More of the light hearted stuff but To Aru Majutsu no Index stuff i am really enjoying atm.

BONES would be easyer to pick what few i did not like in their catalog of anime than not.

Ryohgo Narita keeping eye out on anime based of his work Baccano! an Durarara!! show plot an sub plot dense can work.

Monkey Punch He has some upcoming character desgin in Roman Anime.I will watch it just because of him at first.

Seems tho asia is doing hollywood their way now...

A samuri version of Unforgiven .. just the other day i wondered if this could work as a film an now seems they have made it.Sure Black Lagoon could be made into a hollywood movie... would lose so much of what makes it good tho.To many fingerprints just make the project dirty an unfocused.Actualy would rather see the people who did Kung Fu Hustle do it than any one in hollywood.

Post by isawachuck (25 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Welcome back, Sam! Fantastic job as always guys! I absolutely loved Black Lagoon!

Post by Nightwolf (113 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Casting Jason Gordon Levitt as Rokuro "Rock" Okajima would be great first step.

Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I really don't know why, out of all of the shows there have been rumors about, this one hasn't had a whisper. I mean, it's practically already a Tarantino or Coen brothers movie, with all of its send-ups to spaghetti westerns, girls with guns, martial arts, etc. The premise is pretty simple to do. I mean, there's a FRUITS BASKET adaptation in the works, but this hasn't even been considered? I think not only would it make money, it would be incredibly easy to do. Quentin Tarantino has already admitted to being an anime fan anyway, so hey, Tarantino...get on that.

It's also not really a regional story, so you could set it anywhere. It has idealogies that Western audiences would be able to understand, unlike Fruits Basket, which would make no sense to a mainstream Western audience.

Post by ouchmydragonballs (41 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I have not yet seen Black Lagoon, but its on my list of shows I'll be watching over Christmas Break. From what Sam says, it sounds a lot like the movie Wanted (Curving the bullets).

Post by Kino88 (215 posts) See mini bio Level 6

yeah! Sam is back in town, brake out the party hats'!

Post by YotaruVegeta (584 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Let's sing along, y'all!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel