BINBOGAMI GA! #7 - - Special Review

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 19, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Hah. The arm bar is one of the most effective holds to subdue your opponent without running the risk of, you know, killing them (though you can still break their arm if you’re still feeling nasty). The thought of a show like BINBOGAMI-GA getting into real technical detail about submission grappling is honestly pretty amusing, in of itself. Just imagine the credits rolling with a line…

JIU-JITSU TECHNICAL ADVISOR - - Rorion Gracie

I’d apologize for making such a digression but, c’mon, this show’s all about random digressions.

Actually, I’ve got to say… even though this show plays on plenty of anime tropes and makes oodles of shotcalls, the plots of these episodes have been anything but typical to the genre. The whole progression of Ichiko pantsing this tomboyish rival, then giving her an extreme make-over, then issuing judgment on her controlling father was honest-to-goodness mouse chaser of small-yet-unpredictable twists and turns.

Then again, it might only seem unpredictable to me because I might not be familiar with the tropes or stories that are getting specifically spoofed here. I’ve yet to get around to reading JOJO’S BIZARRE ADVENTURE for myself yet, for example. Though I was able to recognize that quick-change gag from last episode that referenced JoJo, I feel like I don’t have the best grasp of why Ichiko’s new rival here is dressed in what seems like JoJo's garb.

The episode’s titled “Is This That So-called Boy-Raised-As-a-Girl Pattern?” and that presumably refers to a trope that’s being spoofed - - so that's one possibility. The sailor/brawler outfit could just simply be a boys outfit without any ties to any specific title, though. I can only guess.

Like I said, what’s nice about this show is that I don’t need to know all the references, but I'm still left with some curiosity about finding out what they’re referring to. Still - - would any of you lunatics care to do a breakdown for me?

Watch this episode, "Is This That So-called Boy-Raised-As-a-Girl Pattern?” here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

the way Jojo or Ranmaru dressed is what could be called banchou style. Banchou are mostly known as leader of delinquent and stereotypes would wear their dress that way.

Post by takashichea (14,478 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@buhssuht:

Thanks, I was looking for the name to describe her clothing on the wiki page.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,308 posts) See mini bio Level 20

This episode had my favourite parody scene so far. I'll put the clip in a spoiler block though, if you haven't watched the episode yet watching the clip beforehand would spoil it.

I haven't even watched Fist of The North Star but this had me practically howling with laughter. Amazing.

You never quite know what to expect with this show, I'm loving every episode, so glad Tom's covering this, it deserves it.

Post by samweller999 (69 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

@Daniel_Newton: Nice catch! I kind of make no bones that I'm huge fan of Fist of The North Star...but seeing this trope in my new favorite anime comedy is a plus

Post by Marshal Victory (2,664 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Yup 1st i thought golo 13 then seen it was fist of north star parody... so priceless.This show should win a emmy or a academy award...or least a gold star on the writers forehead! Cause the show end is a riot to.Great now i got the end song stuck in my head...hm wonder why theirs a echo? :)

Post by takashichea (14,478 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Like Sonata said, this episode had the most references. Personally, I don't know Fist of the North Star. It was an awesome episode. Can't wait to see the next one.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel