Yamamoto vs. Whitebeard

Topic started by CallmeBrent on Oct. 3, 2012. Last post by TheNeutralOne 2 years ago.
Post by CallmeBrent (98 posts) See mini bio Level 8

We have seen what both of these men are capable of.

Who wins then?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,337 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@CallmeBrent:

There already a thread about this

http://www.animevice.com/forums/battles/33/whitebeard-vs-captain-yamamoto/326405/

Please use the search bar in the future

Post by SpeedForceSpider (5,037 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Been done. And for the record Yamamoto stomps.

Post by Jinbeifan1 (3,355 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@SpeedForceSpider: not really, he doesnt have a bankai anymore remember? XD

Post by othus12 (7,317 posts) See mini bio Level 13

IMO he was overrated, he got owned in like 4 chapters .___.

Post by Yusuke52 (441 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Yamamoto's power was overrated, his bankai while powerful, trades out long range combat for close range, its the trade off that will get him killed in most fights against anyone with decent ranged abilities and speed enough to dodge his attacks, like Whitebeard or someone with energy based attacks like Kizaru. An air-quake will kill him. With his Shikai at least he can keep the pressure on him.

They can one shot each other, but Whitebeard can do it more often thanks to ranged air quakes.

But as Destinyheroknight said this has been done before.

Post by YouFinished (1,035 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Yusuke52 said:

Yamamoto's power was overrated, his bankai while powerful, trades out long range combat for close range, its the trade off that will get him killed in most fights against anyone with decent ranged abilities and speed enough to dodge his attacks, like Whitebeard or someone with energy based attacks like Kizaru. An air-quake will kill him. With his Shikai at least he can keep the pressure on him.

They can one shot each other, but Whitebeard can do it more often thanks to ranged air quakes.

But as Destinyheroknight said this has been done before.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. Yama being limited to close range in his bankai makes him quite useless against an opponent with long range attacks and speed equal or greater than his. With only fodder skeletons to support him makes it even worse, plus the lack of feats his bankai has in the first place. With that said someone like WB is his worst nightmare. Having about the same speed, precog, city busting long ranged attacks, and monstrous endurance makes it a pretty shitty situation for Yama. 

@YouFinished: Exactly that. And because Kubo never drew a background on his Zanka no Tachi North feat, there is no way to know how far it can reach. Given the distance between them on the next panel it was only a few meters. Against anyone with strong ranged combat that does not employ a physical substance like rock or water he is getting destroyed.

He is better off with only his Shikai in an instance like this, his Bankai gives him increased one shot potential but limits his ability to actually pull it off against someone in Whitebeards caliber.

His Bankai simultaneously makes his stronger and weaker. So his position of power in the HST has not changed for me. I would personally rank him higher with his Shikai since it allows him more versatility in his attacks.

All his Bankai gives him is one shotting potential, and unless he is against someone who fights in close quarters, Yamamoto, fighting any strong ranged fighter, might as well throw his blade on the ground and fight in hand to hand for all the good it will do him.

His corpses are really only there to slow someone down, they dont have any destructive feats or durability feats. I thought it would have been better had they been coated in flames too, at least then they would be of some use outside of hinderance. I like to think of them as the marines that stood their ground against Whitebeard in marineford.

And we all know how that turned out.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,741 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Sucks for Yamamoto.. lol he has no more bankai!

anyways this has been done before.

Post by bobokyo (122 posts) See mini bio Level 6

The battle really depends on distance. If its like 3-5 meters, I would give it to Yama-jii with mid-difficulty.

If its like 30-50 meters, I would give it to Whitebeard high-difficulty

Post by taichokage (14,202 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Yamaji doesn't have bankai? Lol and Whitebeard is dead if we talk about current versions. Yamamoto would win with effort with or without bankai IMO. I have always said this.

@taichokage: Yeah, He lost it when Juha stole it and then he was sliced open.

What are your reasons for him winning? as I said they can more or less one shot each other.

Post by taichokage (14,202 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Better mobility for Yamamoto, plus the option to bind Whitebeard in a high level Bakudo. Basically because he has a lot more options than just using a massive attack unlike Whitebeard. At least as far as possibilities go, Yamamoto has an advantage.

@taichokage: I would disagree on mobility, he was holding his own in close quarters with the admirals despite his size, not to mention blocking Kizaru just as he changed into his light form to help luffy. Speedwise they would be about the same, Whitebeard wins in reaction time thanks to precog.

The Bakudo are a different story, Whitebeard is physical strong enough to break free from them, so Yamamoto would have to go very high up the list to get one that gives him enough time to capatlize on his immobility.

Whitebeard's quakes are enough to put Yamamoto down, just as Yamamoto's flames are enough to put Whitebeard down. But his Bankai limits him to CQC, which is the main reason why he would lose to such a powerful ranged fighter, unless the distance between them at the start of the fight is small enough for him to close tha gap.

Thats the reason I said his Shikai is the better bet here as it allows him to fight at range. That would either leave it in a tie or Whitebeard/Yamamoto winning but with high difficulty.

But I will agree with you that Yamamoto has more variety in how he can approach the battle.

Post by bobokyo (122 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Yusuke52: IIRC, Marco said if Whitebeard was a little younger, he would have dodged Squardo's sneak attack.

Yama-jii on the other hand, is able to blitz two captains (Shunsui and Ukitake) despite giving them a head-start.

So in short, Yama-jii I think has better mobility.

@bobokyo: I will check on the Marco feat and see if thats true, but I doubt he would have dodged to begin with even if that were true.

He was able to intercept Kizaru who was starting to move in his light form, which should put them around the same level in terms of speed, Yamamoto might be faster over long distances however. In combat Whitebeard would have the advantage with Haki.

Edit: Just checked through all of Volume 57, to find it was on the first page of Volume 58... Not my day haha.

Its not that he was old, he said that his condition must be getting worse, but he should have still managed to dodge it. Which makes me think that he had no intention of dodging it at all. Plus it all leads into Whitebeard strengthing the moral of everyone present making it more of a plot device than anything related to his reaction speed.

Post by FormerCrimsonKing (4,495 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Online Now

Lol. Since when was dodging attacks by moving a a few feet considered great mobility?? Lol. Majority of Whitebeard's fights took place with him standing in one spot. That's not mobility, thats's great reactions. Yamamoto can fly so he has the superior mobility. So Yamamoto Only Has Bankai? Everybody keeps saying he traded range for CQC, who says he has to use Bankai?. He doesnt have to in order to win. A combination of flight, kido, and his Shikai would do him just fine. Yama won in the previous thread and wins in this one as well. Nothing Has changed.

@FormerCrimsonKing: actuallly now that i think about it, he shouldnt have won that thread. people were too focused on what he could tank. while he may be able to tank a lot that doesnt mean he can dish out that same amount. sure if he gets flying he has an advantage, but a quake answers any flames and kido he could launch at him

Post by FormerCrimsonKing (4,495 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Online Now

@Jinbeifan1: he will whitebeard quaking fire prevent him from getting burned? I know WB has range with his quakes but will they ever hit Yamaji?? Besides, Yamamoto could use the same attack he used on Aizen, Tousen, & Gin and surround him with fire.

@FormerCrimsonKing: ithe shockwave would disperse the fire before it gets to him, the same way he did to ace's fire and akainu's lava. and i believe it should since it was able to reach aokiji in the mid air. and if he surrounded him with flames, then what? WB could either use his staff sword (i forget what its called) and mix it with a quake or haki and disperse it. and if that doesnt work, well then i dont know what yama ji could do to him while hes in there, for one thing he never took the chance of that and tried to kill them while they were sealed off, so i can only assume that its meant to keep someone in, but cannot be attacked from the outside

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel