Vapovile's AV Battle Usage Project

Topic started by takashichea on Jan. 14, 2014. Last post by takashichea 4 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,353 posts) See mini bio Level 25

This idea was proposed by Vapovile who wanted to see a character tier list, so he and I started the Anime Vice Battle Usage List2 months ago. I only did 3 pages for Vapovile while he did 10 pages back then. I had to stop due to the wiki projects and the Battle Archive projects. I had completed the Battle Forum Archive Nov-Dec 2013's December portion but not the November part. It's past January, and I haven't started the archive for January due to the Anime Vice 2013's Top Reviewers, the Winter Anime 2014 Trailers Guide, and the future Wiki Editor Archive 2013 archive project. I decide to stop the Battle Archive project because I'm reaching my end of the rope.

Vapovile and I discuss what to do next to make our tasks easier. We thought we could stop one project, but there is a way to combine both projects using Gdocs.

Using this Poll Sheet, you simply fill out your name, add the link to your battle thread, and type the characters you are using. It does not require a Gmail account. It's simple and only takes a minute or two.

I encourage you guys and gals to use this Poll Sheet to help Vapovile and I to document and record our history in the battle forums. Plus, it help you see what characters are used so frequently and what characters haven't been used. It will help promote underused characters. I'm a bit new to Gdocs, so I'[m currently working on exploiting it for our community's needs.

Thank you, and please use this poll sheet. It will help improve Anime Vice's Battle Forums in the long run.

Oh, here are December's results!

Users who made the most threads:

1. LHWKnight with 15
  2. Luthluth, Othus12, Nishi99 with 8
  3. Ikki_Minami_, Salad King, and ImDictatorBowDown with 7
Post by waybig1010101 (3,244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
ok i just send my toriko vs dark witch meruru the problem is i use this link which is the 3rd page of the battle that should be fine right?  http://www.animevice.com/forums/battles/33/toriko-vs-dark-witch-meruru/344177/?page=3
Post by Vapovile (1,985 posts) See mini bio Level 16

To add to what Taka said, we have a gdoc right now where we record how many times a certain character is used in a battle thread. We only have 12 pages archived right now, but like the universe, the list is expanding by the day.

Currently, the top 5 most used characters are;

1. Goku - 22 battles
  2. Naruto - 20 battles
  3. Madara - 15 battles
  4. Luffy - 14 battles
  5. Juubito and Ichigo tie - 13 battles each

If you want to see who has been used out of the 426 characters we have cataloged so far, you can view the gdoc at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApaWMnCFxXSadHJWUWRvWWt2cm5GbHlUdEtQNzhHOXc&usp=sharing

@waybig That will work. @vapovile After they submit their responses, they can see their results by clicking on view responses. Though, I couldn't change the response page to spreadsheet view. Thanks for the update.

I forgot to pin this thread. My bad.

Post by taichokage (13,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
This is actually quite interesting.

@Vapovile:

I forgot to clarify it using your words. I was on someone's smart phone last night at the restaurant. Oh, I did list your Gdoc link since you asked me on my wall about the Gdoc link.

I was afraid that no one would continue the Battle Archive after I stopped the project because it's so time consuming. I fix my OP after setting up a CAV thread for DBZ_Universe.

@taichokage:

Thank you. I was wrecking my brain on a solution to help Vapovile and his project come to light since we were both busy with school and work. Plus, we're short handed. I finally figure out how to combine both projects into one.

However, the issue is that the poll is separate from Vapovile's Gdoc spreadsheet list. Meaning, that he and I have to use that poll sheet's results and transfer the responses to Vapovile's Gdoc.

Is both Vapovile's Gdoc and poll sheet working on your phone?

Post by taichokage (13,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I am pleasantly surprised to say that they both do work.

@takashichea: Well I would be willing to help with the Archive as I work on the Usage list. It only adds one extra step, to be honest. It's only fair, since you are helping me with my project :D.

@Vapovile:

Pretty much, the new poll form takes care of the new battle threads and recording on a separate sheet. It all depends on the others and their participation. If they don't do this, the poll fails.

Let me notify the most busiest battlations from December:

Hey guys, this is a small request. You see this thread. There is a poll. If you have time when you make your battle threads from this point on, can you also fill out the poll. It only takes one minute. It's your name, your battle thread link, and the characters.

Your contributions will help the community because Vapovile and I are doing this project to see how much a character or a group is used in our community. This way, we will help promote underused characters, too.

Thank you.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,194 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@takashichea: sure why not , I will help but lets hope I don't forget =D

@Vapovile:

We got 9 responses in the poll sheet. I have to push the others. When I get home from school, I'll do a page. I bookmark a page in the battle threads, but it has been a month, so it has been pushed down. I have to work backwards.

Let's publish our in progress results by the end of January, so folks get to know your project better. An example would be top 10 used excluding Kuzan (I need to round up all threads by his name and alias). For underused characters, there are too many ones. We can't do that yet.

Edit:

I'm going to PM folks instead of recording their stuff for them since having to deal with old threads and new threads will be difficult.

@takashichea: That sounds like a good idea. I will also continue updating the list from the most recent threads. So you think that monthly update to our progress would be a a good idea? Well it sounds good to me, so we can publish the Top 10 each month. I have a feeling that a few of them will stay at the top, IE HST and Goku, but we can see who else might take the top spots.

@Vapovile:

Even if I quit my role in the battle threads, I will help you document the Battle threads and the character usage since I committed a lot of hours with you. It would be a disservice if I quit the project. This project would be last one for the battle threads. I will only work on community threads for other parts of the site. Sorry, Vapovile.

@takashichea: Well thank you for continuing to help me with this project. You don't have to make it a priority, since you do so many other projects for AV.

@Vapovile:

I'm thinking of another method for this project and making it more user friendly. Plus, the Gdoc is very time consuming. I know a lot of folks forgot to record their projects. I only went out to record battle threads once.

When I posted the April 2014 Anime Vice Community Report, I made a calendar on the spur of the moment for the actual, dominant battle themes. I thought of this old project we had done. I know a few folks supported and made themes that were suggested by our Battlation of the Month users.

Here's my proposal:

After May 1st, I'm going to do an April Battle Highlight Project where we highlight both the user and the battle themes to make it more user friendly. Just a quick tally of how many thread. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long.

1. Gremmy
  2. Kenpachi
  3. ???

Do some stats like I have done back in the Battle Forum Archive Nov-Dec 2013. This way it help make more achievements for lesser known users. I remember LHWKnight was the one who made the most threads back then.

Don't worry about the Gdoc project. I'm not saying we should shut it done. We should focus on current trends as we saw in our battle community.

@takashichea: Ah, so basically recording what characters are being used the most and say what the theme is at the end of the month? Sounds like a good idea! It will certainly be a lot easier to manage than recording EVERY character, as we have both found out xD.

I'll help out if you want to do this, btw.

@Vapovile:

Which one do you want: Gremmy or Kenpachi? Recording every battle thread and even this month takes too much time. Take the top three would be the most effective. It might be one of the Hitman Reborn characters or Juubito. We'll just got to keep an eye out.

Not a lot of our folks are into data. They want the results that's easy for them to read.

@takashichea:

Well this month is definitely Gremmy for must hyped. Let's just wait till the month is over, and I will start recording the ones who have been used a lot. Though i have a feeling it will be Gremmy, Juubidara and someone else this month in terms of usage.

@Vapovile:

I agreed. Next week is I'm going to take a leave of absence due to papers. That's why I put May 1st for myself. It's up to you start anytime after this month is over.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel