Thorfinn vs Rurouni Kenshin

Topic started by takashichea on June 17, 2014. Last post by takashichea 6 months, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (14,451 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Combatants

• Thorfinn - The son of Thor and Helga, Jomsviking noble, who is a skilled warrior bent on getting revenge on Askeladd who killed his father.
  • Rurouni Kenshin - A samurai who slayed so many men has now lost his way, wandering feudal Japan and vowing not to kill anyone.

Trivia: (Spoiler Warning) Both characters were former warriors who had killed so many men and now abstain from ever killing another person.

Conditions

• In Character.
  • Specifically, Thorfinn is at his prime (late 20's) after the Viking invasion had ended.
  • No prep
  • Winner by knock out

2nd Edit:

Thanks to Phantomrant for the reminder:

• Speed is equalized.

Equipment

• Thorfinn - his knives
  • Rurouni Kenshin - his reverse blade

If you don't know who is Thorfinn and you want feats, I can explain his feats (more like a wiki editor than a battle person) after reading 100 chapters or so last night. (see Vinland Saga 101 Chapters Binge)). It's a good manga series if you don't mind the bloody gore of war, slavery, and revenge. I'll make the Vinland Saga discussion for folks.

Purpose:

To promote Vinland Saga.

Post by phantomrant (1,500 posts) See mini bio Level 10

1. Vinland Saga is a great manga. Everyone should read it.

2. Wouldn't Thorfinn get blitzed in close quarters combat? Kenshin is supersonic+, whereas Thorfinn himself is barely at the 100s m/s speed tier.

@phantomrant:

I never took into calcs because I'm not a calc person. I won't ignore them when people use them argument. I just concede or admit I don't understand them. Supersonic + - isn't that bit much for a series that has warriors with above human qualities but not reaching inhuman or superhuman feats.

For close combat, Thorfinn has done great in close combat with his knives against Askeladd, a sword wielder, and Thorkell, a giant who can throw a spear accurately over a wide distance and hack people with 2 axes. However, he did lose to both of them.

Looks like I made a bad thread again. I thought I knew Rurouni Kenshin, but I didn't take speed into account. I can be wrong.

I'll make the Vinland Saga manga discussion in the evening. I'll see you there. I thank you for checking out the anime and manga discussion threads. I wish more folks from the battle, RPG, and other forums hit them up. I'm promoting them everywhere and even in the battle threads. I hit flood fail just after creating a blog post and a battle thread. Anime Vice loves to mess with me.

Post by phantomrant (1,500 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@takashichea said:

I never took into calcs because I'm not a calc person. I won't ignore them when people use them argument. I just concede or admit I don't understand them. Supersonic + - isn't that bit much for a series that has warriors with above human qualities but not reaching inhuman or superhuman feats.

It ain't a calc, Kenshin performed bullet-timing feats. The verse has always been at a superhuman level.

@phantomrant:

Good point, I should have finished Rurouni Kenshin. I never got deep in it. Didn't remember him dodging bullets with those old guns. I assumed he can only dodge if he can see the enemy's line of sight. Given Thorfinn's combat experiences and feats, he wouldn't win against Kenshin in a long fight.

All right, I'll lock the thread. Good argument there, Phantomrant.

Edit:

If I do a mistake and Thorfinn makes improvement (Vinland Saga is ongoing), let me know. I'll unlock it. Thank you.

2nd Edit:

I just realized I could have made the speed equal. That would make it a fair fight.

Post by katmic (481 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Strangely enough i was about to go with Thorfin till speed was mentioned; kenshin should take this. It could be an interesting battle, but it could also be extremely short.

Post by GrayWolf2 (411 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Can he dodge kenshins ultimate attack?

I forgot to lock this thread.

@GrayWolf2:

Unfortunately, he cannot. People in Vinland Saga aren't superhuman like folks from Kenshin's franchise.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel