Suggestion Box for Battlations

Topic started by takashichea on Nov. 23, 2013. Last post by takashichea 4 months ago.
Post by Vapovile (2,032 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Since the site has been relatively active as of late, I feel like this should be addressed again;

I would like to suggest that we remove the whole "lock a topic after 100 posts" system, and just let topics go on for as long as they want. If the debate is civil and the characters are still gaining new feats, I really don't see the reason why we have to stifle the debate just because it reached a certain number of posts. A prime example is the Gremmy Thoumeaux vs Juubi and Juubi Madara Uchiha Vs Gremmy Thoumeaux threads. Both Juubidara and Gremmy are shaping up to be the top tiers of the HST, yet both are locked because they reached over 100 posts, with the Juubi one being locked forever if this still stands.

If we must keep this system, we should at least remove the restriction from series that are still ongoing, like the HST. And of course if it turns into a flame war, then action should be taken against the users in question, not the topic itself. And if we really must keep this system, then the rule against duplicates should be removed so new feats can be taken into account.

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,245 posts) See mini bio Level 16

that is not fair but you have a point

Post by takashichea (12,655 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Vapovile:

There are 2 different situations:

Situation 1

When folks use alternative forms or specify powers based on story arcs from ongoing HST series, it's up to the mod's call.

Pretty much, we lock outdated dupe threads. That's why we warn users to search topics beforehand when making threads like Ichigo vs Luffy.

• Pre Time Skip Luffy vs Pre Time Skip Ichigo
  • Zombie Luffy vs Hollow Ichigo
  • Current Luffy vs Current Ichigo

etc.

There is no specific rule. Rather it's a general rule of thumb that mods go by. I ask Sonata prior to locking these type of threads. Usually Sonata tells me to lock the spammy threads and outdated threads.

Situation 2

With threads like Gremmy and they have past the 100 Post Mark and Unlocked for another 100 posts, there can be an exception, but it has be significant amount of feats revealed in the ongoing manga. Remember the Roronoa Zoro Vs Zaraki Kempachi thread, when bumped it, the outcome was severely changed in favor of Kenpachi due to developments in Bleach. That thread's fate is unknown given that One Piece and Bleach are ongoing. You guys need to watch how you post. Now, it's more about posting carefully and watching the post count. I do delete my posts before 100 post mark after telling users that they violated certain rules.

Right now, you just got to wait or post a different battle thread with Gremmy and another combatant to continue the momentum. Then, come back to the Gremmy thread once new things are brought up.

For the battle rules, Dream, Sonata, and I worked on it to make it brief with brevity. That way, it's flexible for interpretation. That's why we don't go too deep in setting conditions for locked and dupe threads. It's pretty much up to the mods' call.

Post by Vapovile (2,032 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@takashichea:

Well that is the thing, I don't understand why you guys have to lock a battle after 100 posts anymore. If we are to grow as a website, we can't have these kinds of arbitrary limiters on debate, especially with multiple people involved. In the grand scheme of things, 100 posts is nothing compared to some debates I have seen between just two people. There is nowhere else on AnimeVice where we can discuss in battle terms how Gremmy and Juubidara would end up in a fight, and by going to another thread we would only derail it, making another thread get locked. Heck, even I have avoided posting in battle threads on multiple occasions because doing so would waste yet another post that the thread has to stay alive. That to me just kills any sense of community that might be fostered here.

In my opinion, the only reason why a thread should be locked is if it's spite, or breaks obvious forum rules. But with ongoing series, these two rules where a topic gets locked and duplicate threads are banned only prevent us from ever discussions matches like Gremmy vs Juubi ever in a proper format.

@Vapovile:

It's to prevent threads from going off-topic. As you can see long winded debates can end ugly as you can seen in one of the Gremmy threads. It's when users get into gridlock and don't take the step to agree to disagree and move on. Most of the time, I see you guys and gals talking about the feats of an individual and the credibility of it. That's we have Respect threads or Feat threads that sickVisionz came up.

I don't believe we're limiting ourselves with locking threads. We're making you branch off to different forums. You have Bleach Manga discussions where you can discuss anything about Bleach manga including feats.

Examples:

• Manga and Anime Discussion Threads
  • Respect and Feat Threads
  • Who can Beat XXX threads - has no limitations.

Edit:

@Vapovile:

I'll talk with Sonata and Dream on making extensions, making the cap 200 or 300 or so.

Post by Dream (7,735 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Vapovile: Many fights in the forum tend to be settled in less than 100 posts and of the threads in the past that gone past 200 posts, many of them were heated debates where no side could come to an agreement on who would win. In many cases, the latter has to do with members having different stances on the scope of a character or title's capabilities, Bleach and Dragon Ball being the most notable examples within this forum.

While you do have a point about ongoing titles having characters continually getting stronger and gaining new abilities, the majority of Battle forum threads I've seen over the past five years on Vice tend to follow the trends that I've addressed when there is civil debate. That being said, the post limit restrictions we have in the Battles forum will stay as they are right now.

@takashichea: "Who can beat XXX" style matches are not eligible for posting extensions. Only singles and team battles are.

Post by Low (1,379 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I want to suggest a debater ranking thread / hall of fame thread. Unlike battledomers of the month thing, the stafff choose certain members once every month and then have them voted on, and accordingly they will get ranked. Each month, this process will happen, and once every three months, all of those in ranking positions (depending on votes) will be posted for re-evaluation. Votes for the previous threads will stand and will be marked. Votes gotten in the re-evaluation will be added to the previous votes, and changes in rank will take place.  
Post by SMXLR8 (7,245 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Low: like on comic vine?

@SMXLR8  said: 

@Low: like on comic vine?

Not quite.  Well hall of fame yes, but the ranking is different. This keeps tracks of votes, and if possible on an individual basis. This way, re-votes or vote swings affect the ladder drastically. It will not be stagnant for most cases, thats the main idea behind it.

@Low:

If you want to start that community project, feel free. I don't have enough energy since I'm approaching my finals. Be sure to promote the Best Battle User of the Month in that project. It's better if the projects work together and not against each other. Make sure to give credit or mention what inspires you due to SMXLR8's recent plagiarism.

I used up a lot of energy helping two users: @SMXLR8: and @Vapovile: . I had to close down the 2 projects due to following reasons.

• The Battle Callout Phonebook ☎ AnimeVice Edition - It had too many constraints and problems. Many new users were discouraged. SMXLR8's project conflicted with the majority's views on promoting underused manga and anime series. It was mainly unused and plagiarized from Jokergeist's project in Comic Vine.
  • Vapovile's AV Battle Usage Project - It was a shame to close this one after spending two months on the project. Vapovile and I were recording characters and how many times they were used. I believe we recorded 12 pages or so. When we were overwhelmed, I develop a Gdoc Form so people can fill it out and help us record new data. However, most of the community is busy. The Gdoc form was unused. I believe most folks are not interested in the data we worked hard on.

I'll recycle two projects after school is over in late May. I apply AnimeDefender's Battle Directory ideals and make it more user friendly.

@takashichea: I may need some help with. When I have the rough draft, I will PM you. Though I'd appreciate it if you link me the Best Battle User of the Month.

@Low:

I'll do what I can to help. We'll see how it works. Good luck on the project.

Post by 321zigzag1 (650 posts) See mini bio Level 9

As advised by Takashichea the reigning moderator in this thread.

http://www.animevice.com/forums/battles/33/rate-the-debaters/205095/?page=12

Not the first time I encountered thread like this.

Which led me to ask, has this place ever done some kind of debating tournament amongst yourselves? Wouldn't hurt.

@321zigzag1:

Sorry for the late reply. No, I'm not the reigning moderator. The title belongs to Dream. Sonata is inactive. I'm just here as a temp mod in case things go to hell in the battle forums.

I never really done a tournament before. How would you structure it? I can't really imagine it. Unless you have a blueprint, I can look over it.

Post by eddz99 (2,541 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Why not make a thread about the battles already finished? (Who won or who lost)?

@eddz99 said:

Why not make a thread about the battles already finished? (Who won or who lost)?

What's your reason and overlying purpose of this thread? Are you going to take charge of the project? How much work would you put in?

The reason why I ask is that I already put so much energy in three projects closed down:

The problem that missed was that the battle community lacks cohesion. Most of our users are complacent and not willing to take charge. We're a user driven site. The battle community is broken. The mods, Dream and myself, have work hard with users. Sonata left the Over The Limit!: AV Battle Community Vote Thread. to Dream after being inactive

Post by 321zigzag1 (650 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@takashichea said:

@321zigzag1:

Sorry for the late reply. No, I'm not the reigning moderator. The title belongs to Dream. Sonata is inactive. I'm just here as a temp mod in case things go to hell in the battle forums.

I never really done a tournament before. How would you structure it? I can't really imagine it. Unless you have a blueprint, I can look over it.

I don't, I apologize, just throwing in ideas that some may be interested in. Tournaments are one way to keep some people to return after all but it takes a lot of effort.

Signups, scheduling, moderator support, debate day limits, overall time limits, topic debate discussions. etc

@321zigzag1:

Do you mean this Tournament Ideas that SMXLR8 and his group has been collaborating, but they haven't reach a consensus.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel