Suggestion Box for Battlations

Topic started by takashichea on Nov. 23, 2013. Last post by takashichea 3 months, 4 weeks ago.
Post by waybig1010101 (3,268 posts) See mini bio Level 14
maybe make a game where the Op gives an description of characters and that the players have a certain time limit to find the correct character to each description. This could help other people get to know other characters and might build their interest for the series that the characters belong to outside of battles.  
Post by takashichea (12,433 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@waybig1010101:

I think that works for off-topic. I did meet someone in the Judar vs Gray Fullbuster thread and got him into Magi.

Anime Defender was working on the anime directory guide idea, but I shot him down because it's too much to maintain. Acura and I suggested using Aleasha's recommendation lists and making a recommendation directory for everyone.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,268 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@takashichea: sounds good = )
Online Now

@supernova7005: @Sonata: and everyone else

Since everyone is concerned over the 100 post thread, Sonata had posted the Over The Limit!: AV Battle Community Vote .Thread. I have another solution: making a Gdoc form, so everyone can fill out. Ever since I worked with sickVisionz for the Vote for Your Favorite Anime in 2013! community project, I learned how to make spreadsheets and poll forms from sickVisionz. With new idea, it will organize the battle threads more efficiently. We can keep tabs on existing battle threads. It's going to be easy. I'll make a simple poll form. You don't need a Google account.

If you guys and gals would like me to start up a Battlation Gdoc list, I will be glad to do it.

Edit:

I underestimated the sheer number of battle threads. I think we stick with 2013 and 2014. It's more realistic.

2nd Edit:

I didn't think this idea through. Plus, I don't think we can link pages in poll forms only in spreadsheet form. I'll think of something else.

Post by Sonata (35,404 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: The current format will work for now. If a thread does have 100 posts attached to it everyone in the battle community will see. If they truly want the battle thread to be unlocked they can vote for it.

Online Now

@Sonata:

I didn't think the idea through. It was too much to maintain. I'll terminate the idea.

Post by OfficialRikudouSennin (647 posts) See mini bio Level 12

i wanna be a mod lol e.e

Online Now

@OfficialRikudouSennin:

At this point, none of the current Battlations are ready to be mods. To be a mod, there is no written rule. It's up to the staff.

These are suggestions:

1. Love the community and the users
  2. Be active (~10 hours a week)
  3. Befriend the staff
  4. Enforce the rules and help everyone especially new users
  5. Make yourself known - not thru popularity but by your hard work that is acknowledged by your fellow peers
  6. Start a community project - the staff nominates users to mods for those think outside of the box. It demonstrates leadership.
  7. Have an article posted on the front page - Remember, this is a community driven site
  8. Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep.
  9. Be impartial. There are users who will argue with you or break the rules. You just need to stand firm. I have a hard time doing it since I'm too soft.

The sixth point is crucial. I haven't seen any Battlation users do this, taking initiative.

Existing community projects

Post by SMXLR8 (7,207 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@takashichea: you are total right , I don't have to be a mod to do these things but for # 6 I might need some help for that one , I also have decided to be more active on the wiki's . I will need help from time to time but if I get better I would have to bother you lol

Online Now

@SMXLR8:

I agree. I did these things before I was a mod, too. As for community project, it could be something fun like that Christmas one that Aleasha and I posted. I have been slaving at that battle archive thing. It gets tedious.

As for wiki, just ask me for help if you need it.

Post by Vapovile (2,002 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Online Now

Just for statistical purposes, I sort of want to go through all the battle threads, and record each time a particular character is pitted against an opponent in the Battle section. That will give us an idea of who is "over used", and who we might be neglecting in terms of characters. Would that be something worth doing in your opinion @takashichea: ?

Online Now

@Vapovile:

I have that solution: Battle Forum Archive 2013. I'm working on it. I did 3 pages already. I'll update 2 pages a day if I can.

Online Now

@takashichea: Well instead of an entire directory, I would just be counting how many times a character is used in a battle thread, and making a tier list from most used to least. And the directory is still really impressive btw o.o

Online Now

@Vapovile:

Oh, I see. There are 2 ways to tackle it.

1. Gdoc List: Create 1 Spreadsheet for anime (maybe 1 more for comics) and then create a poll form for everyone to check in their characters. People can see the data sheet publicly.
  2. Start a thread on Anime Vice and record using our table. Though, only one person and mods can edit the thread.

It's time consuming, but it will worth it in the long run.

Online Now

Another suggestion I'd like to add would be a monthly Character Spotlight, where someone like the Battalion of the Month chooses one or a specific group of characters(example: the Espada), and for the entire month people are encouraged to create a match-up for that character that promotes the most constructive discussion. The winner of the best battle each month could be recognized in an official thread, or could just be added to the Battalion of the Month thread.

Thoughts?

Online Now

Let me get back to you. I said the wrong thing.

@Vapovile:

I remember I said the Battlation of the Month could pick a theme, but Taichokage never said anything. I asked him. For monthly character spotlight, I thought meant setting up another poll. I was mistaken. That's why I deleted my comment.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,207 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Sonata: @takashichea: WHEN IS THE CAV THREAD GOING TO BE MADE ?

Online Now

@SMXLR8:

I'm pretty new to this. You better ask Sonata or start one yourself. Take the initiative. My hands are full with the battle archive, Vapovile's battle usage docs, and wiki editing.

Online Now

I'll unpin this momentarily. Right now, there are too many threads pinned on the battle forum. I'm going to link this thread to the Rules thread. Don't worry, I'll pin it once we have some room.

Post by Baal_Raam (617 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@takashichea: ...when did you become a mod...

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel