Battle Forum Rules
These rules must be read before entering the battle forums, this will prevent threads from being locked and warnings given. This will also help ensure that Animevice is both a friendly and helpful community rather then a hostile environment for new and old users. If you have any problems within the battle forums then please contact the Mods.
Banned Battle Threads/ Characters
- Superman Family vs DBZU characters at any level are banned.
- Godlike creatures of any media vs either a whole universe or just one character banned
- Godlike creature vs Godlike creature threads banned
- A whole Universe vs one of more character threads banned
- Universe vs Universe threads banned
- Fan-Fic Character battle threads are now banned (Ex: Made up fusion characters, and characters that have no legitimate feats in officially licensed Anime/Manga material. NO exceptions.)
- Vote Battle Threads are banned.
These threads in the past have caused more issue then most, for the peace of the battle forums we have taken the measure to ban the above battles from the forums in order to keep peace.
UPDATE (3/7/2014): Omnipotent and nigh-omnipotent characters are now banned from serious discussions here on the forum. Refer to the banned characters list for details and for suggestions on other characters that should be added.
No Repeat Battles/Use the Search Function
We have a search function now which can be used to search for past battles. If you want to see who would win a fight, check if we've already discussed it. If we have and you have something to say about the outcome that’s been reached, don’t be afraid to bump the thread, but don’t make a new one when one already exists. Our search tool should give you everything you need, but if for some reason it doesn't Google can be used to search AV. Dupe threads will be locked.
Label Battles Correctly
To make it easy for people to look up past battles, make sure the names of characters in whatever fight you're making are spelled correctly (nobody will find "Naruto Veeersuse Ichiago") and use "vs" as opposed to "versus" (most people use that - good for searching without quotes). This also goes for a characters name, make sure the name is spelled correctly before posting the battle.
Be Specific about Fights
This is probably the most important rule, and when it’s followed, many other problems go away. When starting a battle you need to be specific about how everything is going to go down. This includes a lot of factors. A lot of posters just type "fighter 1 vs fighter 2, who wins?" and they're done. Putting just a little effort into it can sort out a lot of questions that pop up later. You can determine if the characters involved are acting in character (like they normally would as their personalities dictate), if they are “bloodlusted” or anywhere in between, how much time they get before the fight (prep), where they're fighting, what gear they have with them, which incarnation of the character, any power limitations, etc, etc. It really isn’t hard to flesh out the battle a little and it goes a long way.
Writing some options again to make sure they’re easy to see:
In Character or Bloodlusted
Prep Time or No Prep Time
Setting (time, location, bystanders, available resources, etc)
Gear (standard weaponry/gadgets/items, unarmed, special weapons)
Character Version (current version, original, alternate universe, etc)
Extra Rules (time limits, boundaries, what counts as win)
When these things are left out it’s generally assumed that characters are fighting to the best of their ability but still within the limits of their personality, using their standard gear, have no prep time, and are their current versions. Their starting distance is close and the setting is most often a city. But as I said, this is what is “generally assumed”, not what everyone thinks of. It’s always best to give as much information about the fight in the first post.
Use Manga/Anime/Manhwa Characters / At least one Manga/Anime/Manhwa per battle
In case you didn’t know, this site was made for Anime/Manga and Manhwa. It would follow that the majority of fights should be related. This isn’t to say that only these fights are allowed and all others will be locked, but keep in mind what most of us are here for. Also, keep silly battles to a minimum – Funny battles are of course enjoyable once in a while, but gets tiring if overused. Your battle must at least have one Anime/Manga/Manhwa character or character who has been in a Manga/Anime/Manhwa in order for it to be considered a battle, If it is Will Smith Vs DR Dre this should be in the off topic section and not in the battle forums.
Make Fair Fights
Don’t make battles that are clearly one-sided. Most times this happens when people want to make one character look bad or another look good. Either way it’s childish and a waste of space. Sometimes it’s a mistake because you don’t know all the abilities of a characters and it turns out that they have a power that would make them win easily, but that doesn't happen much (and it really shouldn't, AV is an encyclopedia, look up characters before you make the fight). If it’s obvious you’re doing it on purpose, the thread will be locked.Also, it is a good idea to create battles that you aren't sure of the winner. Creating a battle with a clear winner in mind isn't really great form and isn't how the battles work, your supposed to create a fight when you see two or more characters that are pretty evenly matched and you aren't really sure of one or the other. Also the anime/manga character in question must be able to compete in the battle. The should not be used then thrown away as an excuse to create an illegal battle. If this occurs the thread will be locked.
Stay On Topic
Stay on topic, now from time to time a thread can be taken off topic, now this can at times have its place, but often will lead to some type of argument or flaming. If you are talking in a topic you must focus on the characters at hand and anything else relevant to the battle, if you wish to talk about something else use the PM facility or use one of the many community chat areas often found in the RPG section or in Gen Discussion.
Watch Your Language (and Attitude)
Now I know we can swear here on AnimeVice but that does not give anyone the right to be abusive towards anyone and while there’s no strict rule against having an attitude or being a jerk, if you can’t discuss something without throwing insults you probably shouldn't try. The attitude thing extends into being a gracious winner or loser. If, after a long debate, you find that your position has withstood all attacks against it while the opposition’s hasn’t, there’s no need to be obnoxious about it. If it turns out that you were wrong the whole time, don’t get mad, just accept it. These things really aren’t important enough to get bent out of shape over. (And when the time comes that you’ve switched positions, you won’t want someone being obnoxious because they “beat” you or acting like a child because they “lost”.)
Also insulting other users in any shape or form is not debating and will follow with a warning from the mods. AnimeVice is a friendly site and we will enforce this rule to make sure it stays this way, if you can not debate civilly then this site is not the place for you. If the debate is getting heated walk away and alert a mod, do not insult back as this will just lead to you getting a warning as well.
What Can You Use?
Like most things in the fight, the following may vary depending on what the thread creator chooses to allow. Despite, or maybe because of, how much debate there’s been on this area (check old threads in the Battle Forum) this section is rather small. What I have here is what I think most people agree on.
Things that aren't cannon are not used in battles unless otherwise stated by the creator of the thread. For things that are canon, an understanding of the character as a whole helps determine what they can do in fights. For example, one time feats, crossover feats, powers/abilities that haven’t been used in a long time (but haven’t been specifically removed) are not to be dismissed out of hand, but they should be weighed against regular appearances and displays of abilities. Don’t just use a character’s best showings to determine what they can do, and don’t just use their worst showings to limit them.
Let me start of by explaining what trolling actually is! Trolling is a user who posts to incite flame wars and continues to post in a manner that is offensive or posting something that has nothing to do with the thread. Baiting other users into an argument and continuing that argument in hopes of offending that user or the community. As such this is not allowed on Animevice and will be dealt with according to the AnimeVice guide lines! Again if you can not debate civilly and with out trying to ignite a flame war then Animevice is not the site for you.
This is more a suggestion that a rule. Sometimes you just want to know which of your favorite characters will win in a fight and don’t really care about making it interesting, but that kind of thing often leads to the same kinds of fights, or the same characters in fights, over and over. To remedy this, try to cut back on very popular characters. A lot of fights involving well known characters have been done, and it gets annoying. Ichigo and Naruto do not need to be in a battle every day. In addition to picking new characters, making the setup for the fight unique also adds to it.
New rules that will be enforced
- A 100 Post limit to battle threads. Any thread that goes beyond it will be auto-locked. Exceptions to the rules are CAVs and Tournament Threads. Some threads may be allowed to have an extension up to 200 posts via a community vote. Click on Over The Limit!: AV Battle Community Vote Thread for more information.
- Manga scans that have watermarks of pirated websites must be edited out.
Joke matches are allowed, as long as they aren't overused. But please clarify if they are in the title of the thread or the opening post so it doesn't throw off the mods when we're making rounds to make sure match discussions follow the rules.
Default Battle Conditions
In the event that no details or specific elements aren't specified in the opening post of a battle thread, these battle conditions will be followed by default with specific conditions to a match:
- Anime/ manga/ light novel characters involved are at stats as of current point or end of series. If all three have ongoing adaptations, whatever is further along in plot gets priority for judging capabilities. If the character is from a series franchise with different continuities, their strongest incarnation will be used in the match (Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball being notable examples).
- Characters from other mediums will have their mainstream or most popular incarnations judged in the match. For instance, any match with Superman and other DC Comics characters will involve the post-Crisis versions of their characters.
- Battles will be set in a large and indestructible grasslands area with characters 100 yards apart from one another.
- All involved will be in character and battle is fought until the opponent(s) is incapacitated or killed.
- Unless characters are from the same title, they have no knowledge of one another. If they are from the same title, they have knowledge of their opponent's abilities yet no time to prepare.
- Characters involved will start off in base form (if they have transformed states) and will come into battle with standard weapons/ equipment (if applicable).
To those that are confused, these default conditions are set up as a template to reduce enforcement by the mods of any thread that doesn't have enough details to specify elements to a match and prevent discussion into degenerating into what the exact conditions are for a match.
If you want to share any suggestions or recommendations to the rules, please post a comment here or at this thread: Suggestion Box for Battlations.
- Added Sonata's new rules - Takashichea - 12/05/2013
- Added link to the Suggestion Box - Takashichea - 12/19/2013
- Added Tournaments and CAVS - Takashichea - 12/26/201
- Removed the Meme ban on the Battle Forums - Sonata- 2/2/2014
- Added Joke Matches section - Dream - 3/7/2014
- Added additional information and links for Banned Battle Threads/ Characters and Sonata's New Rules - Dream- 3/7/2014
- Added Default Battle Conditions section and removed "strict enforcement on battle conditions" rule. -Dream 3/10/2014