List of Banned Characters in the Battle Threads

Topic started by takashichea on Jan. 23, 2014. Last post by reiyo 13 hours, 59 minutes ago.
Post by takashichea (12,659 posts) See mini bio Level 25

The purpose of this thread is to open a case and establish a list of characters that the community and its leaders agree on. This will be serve as an attachment to the Battle Forum Rules 2.0. and Suggestion Box for Battlations. I always encourage you guys and gals to take the initiative and make the commitment to help your community. Your mods are not online 24/7. This is a community driven site. The current staff (as of 2012-2014) does not deal with the battle threads. It's up to you to be proactive. If you're complaining and taking the effort to notify the mods, it's your own responsibility.

Update (3/7/2014 - Dream): I'll relax the ban on these characters (except real-life religious gods for obvious reasons) if they are involved in joke matches. But any serious match involving them will be banned on sight by me or Sonata.

**As of February 2014, this project is handed over to Dream.

List of Characters

Includes anime, comics, video games.

Godlike Status (includes perfect and near-perfect varieties)

• The Presence
  • The One Above All
  • Kami Tenchi
  • Man Of Miracles
  • Lord Of Nightmares
  • Azathoth
  • Gan
  • Godhead Pick Inspector
  • The Emperor-Beyond-The-Sea
  • Eru Iluvatar
  • Demonbane
  • Nyarathathotep
  • Yog Sothoth
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • The Living Tribunal
  • The Great Evil Beast
  • Heart of the Universe Thanos
  • The Chousin
  • Beyonder (both Retcon and Pre-Retcon)
  • Michael Demiurge
  • Pre-Recton Molecule Man
  • Counter-Actor
  • Elaine Belloc
  • YHVH
  • The Crimson King
  • The Truth (Fullmetal Alchemist)
  • Grant Morrison
  • God Swamp Thing
  • The One (Transformers)
  • Demonbane verse
  • Downstreamers
  • Wave Existence/ U-DO
  • Azathoth (Cthulu mythos)
  • Pre-Retcon Amalgam Brothers
  • The Endless (Destiny, Death, Dream [Morpheous and Daniel], Desire, Despair, Destruction and Delirium)
  • Golden AMAZO (DCAU)
  • One Being

• Bhunivelze (Final Fantasy franchise)

• Nemesis (Infinity Gems)

• Deus Ex Machina (also includes Yuno and Yuki having his power)

• Michael Demiurgos

• Primus

• Spectre

• Trenia

• Zeedmillenniummon

• Angel Spawn
  • God (Supernatural)
  • Death (Supernatural)

Toon Force

• Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
  • Any Looney Tunes character.
  • Deadpool's fourth wall breaking feats
  • Luckyman
  • Doraemon
  • Gintama Fourth Wall Breaking/ Comedic Feats
  • Tom and Jerry
  • Squirrel Girl

Class H (Stands for Headache)

• Featherine- Had a case where she was abused in some spite matches thus she is now banned from discussion in any matches.
  • Real-Life Religious Gods- Banned mostly out of trying to prevent offending any member in this forum who is religious.
  • Whis- Mostly featless and has been used in matches in spite of this. Unless another DBZ title comes out to feature more of what he can do, he will be banned.
  • Umineko-verse- There are some under the mentality that the verse is omniversal based off feats and statements of the witches and those at their level. While there are others (counting myself) that dispute this, the series being omniversal would put it well beyond nearly any anime and manga series that would be put against it if this mentality is legit. So to avoid future hassles, all battles involving Umineko characters are banned for the foreseeable future.

These characters cause a lot of trouble. They're not banned, but it's recommended not to use them.

Please suggest other categories since I'm not familiar with the battle threads.

Open Cases

Closed Cases

Post by Erik (128 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@takashichea: Are you asking us what characters we want to see banned in the Battle Forums?

@Erik:

At first, I wanted to make a list of omnipotent because of that battle thread. I thought it would be better and more beneficial if I made the thread more broad. My intentions could be off the marker. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Yes to some degree. I want to encourage users to post characters that they deem will cause flame wars or has a history of battle threads that went overboard.

@takashichea: I see. Well as a seasoned Battle Forum veteran (from CV), I can tell you that there really aren't any 'safe' characters. Just about any character has the potential to cause flame wars. It's not really the character, it's the debaters. Users that debate with characters that are inconsistent have a propensity to get into flame wars though. Because of this, CV had banned DBZ vs comic characters specifically. Banning characters doesn't sit well with me as there are several users that can debate respectfully. The problem does lie with the users. If I were to give a recommendation, I would suggest bringing in a mod that specifically handles the Battle Forums.

Post by ImDictatorBowDown (1,995 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea:

Kami Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo)

The Chousin (Tenchi Muyo) not really omnipotent but they are god like

Top Tiers in Demonbane (Demonbane)

LoN (Slayers)

Pre Retcon Beyonder (Marvel)

the Presence (DC)

TOAA (Marvel) or just about any author of a series

I can name a few more but these are the ones I've seen used the most

@Erik: But debating omnipotence is pointless regardless of the debators

@ImDictatorBowDown: That's subjective opinion. Some people find a great deal of value in debating the superiority of one omnipotent character over another. As long as the debaters are being respectful towards one another, I see no reason why they can't debate until their hair falls out. It's the disrespectful users that need moderation, not the characters.

At least, that is my views on it.

@Erik:

Oh, you're from Comic Vine? I do work there along with PikaHyper back in 2012 during manga gold rush wiki months. I do see your point about the debaters.

The problem with me is that I can't really see the community from a battle user's perspective. No matter how much I try, I cannot see. It's the mental condition that I still need to adjust.

Off Topic:

I'm wrong then. Thank you for correcting me. I will lock this thread in an hour. Before I do, I want to talk about the mods. Sonata is the only battle mod. Fire Star, Daniel, ShadowKnight, Sickvisionz are all forum mods. Fire Star and ShadowKnight508 used to patrol the battle threads before I was a mod in September 12, 2013. During October to November, we had a state of urgency partly due to a group of users from another community and a select group who were dissatisfied with the new rules that Sonata and I set up. I did suggest we bring up a new battle mod, but my teammate Sonata said there is no urgency and the new rules will help out. There will be days of isolated incidents, but not like ones we face back in the fall.

To be a battle mod, my suggestions, I believe are too high. I feel like it's somewhat necessary because some users are not to be mods despite being active and friendly. It's what they contribute in the community that demonstrates their leadership and ability to response to situations. For me, I don't do well as a battle mod and will only serve as an assistant while being a wiki mod, the wiki is my place, until a user who has demonstrated abilities will become a new mod. I'll leave it to him or her and work on the wiki for the community.

These are suggestions (most of them should be on your plate):

1. Love the community and the users
  2. Be active (~10 hours a week)
  3. Befriend the staff
  4. Enforce the rules and help everyone especially new users
  5. Make yourself known - not thru popularity but by your hard work that is acknowledged by your fellow peers
  6. Start a community project - the staff nominates users to mods for those think outside of the box. It demonstrates leadership.
  7. Have an article posted on the front page - Remember, this is a community driven site
  8. Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep.
  9. Be impartial. There are users who will argue with you or break the rules. You just need to stand firm. I have a hard time doing it since I'm too soft.

The sixth point is crucial. I haven't seen any Battlation users do this, taking initiative.

Existing community projects

I only see two users who demonstrate it, Vapovile and Dream.

Edit:

There is a hitch with my recommendations

• Though, Vapovile is a young user, but he has taken a lot of community projects for the battle threads and did a lot of suggestions for our rules.
  • I can't include Dream since he doesn't want the mod position, but he is recognized by the staff due to his cultural interviews and reviews.

@ImDictatorBowDown:

Thank you. I didn't see your comment. I was writing a big response to Erik. Um, do you see a need for this thread or did I titled it wrong. It sounds like I'm making a version of the Spite Thread topics but with the characters.

@takashichea: Lol some people are fantastic moderators in all things, with the exception of the battle forums. Maybe you are one such amazing moderator. :p

I think that might be one of the reasons why CV took Battle Forums users that they found met their own criteria and asked them to moderate the Battle Forums. If these two individuals meet the criteria to your satisfaction, maybe they should be brought in to keep an eye on the forums that have the most risk of becoming flame wars.

Edit: I see that one isn't interested in moderator position. Maybe it's best not to ask that user to oversee the BF. :p

@Erik: While it may be subjective, I have no problem with people debating whether a character is or isn't, the problem lies in that most threads that use these characters abandon the initial topic completely to debate the validity of the characters Omnipotence.

@ImDictatorBowDown said:

@Erik: While it may be subjective, I have no problem with people debating whether a character is or isn't, the problem lies in that most threads that use these characters abandon the initial topic completely to debate the validity of the characters Omnipotence.

If the topic is two omnipotent characters, then arguing one's supremacy over another is very much on-topic. But yes, arguments that run off-topic should be moderated. But again, that is moderation of the users, not the characters.

@Erik:

I did talk to the user and I respect his wishes. This job of being a mod is like a second job. I don't know what Comic Vine is like since it's more busier than here. The rules are less strict. I do wish to fix the meme and GIF rule because it was pretty controversial.

Thank you. I have to work on the wiki and make a wiki report to Foxx since it's Thursday. Friday is when we have the community spotlight.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I dont think any characters should be banned because of their scale of power. The only times battles should be locked is in the event of flame wars, and those are all but gone now because of the 100 post lock rule. Its not like years ago where heated threads would go on for weeks.

If a debate between 2 street levelers gets out of hand, lock it. If ppl civilly want to debate omnipotent vs omnipotent or verses vs verses let them, I dont c the problem.

Its not like suddenly the gloves come off when debating god like characters and besides, 99 percent of the time in fictions its ambiguous as to whether certain beings really are omnipotent, or if they do have limits.

@Erik: Being omnipotent and having something have supremacy over you is contradictory, your either all powerful or you aren't, there aren't different levels of it. It's as pointless as debating that "this infinite" is bigger than "this infinite" I just see no point, but as you said it is subjective.

Post by Dream (7,739 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Erik: I had discussed this in PM with taka. Anything I contribute to Vice is out of whatever I enjoy and desire to do. I don't want to make it a job. I get enough of that working 40 hours a week in real life and I prefer to unwind when I'm home instead of dealing with more hassle from online.

As for the topic of this thread, omnipotent/ nigh-omnipotent beings are one ugly can of worms that can lead to matches degenerating into debates over the legitimacy of said being's status, my favorite series not withstanding. Would be a suitable topic for discussion in other forums, but not in a Battle forum.

@takashichea: You're very welcome. I think the important thing is just to be aware of when a user is being inflammatory. Sometimes users forget themselves and make mistakes but sometimes, they are trying to avoid losing an argument by directly or indirectly insulting the user and/or character.

@takashichea: Well TBH I don't think it will change much, the battle rules already exclude godlike characters and omni but people occasionally still do it

@ImDictatorBowDown said:

@Erik: Being omnipotent and having something have supremacy over you is contradictory, your either all powerful or you aren't, there aren't different levels of it. It's as pointless as debating that "this infinite" is bigger than "this infinite" I just see no point, but as you said it is subjective.

Meh, that's getting into the very debate you wish to see banned. I would engage if I had any interest in such debates but I honestly don't care to. But again, some people find value in such debates and there is a lot to be said about characters and hyperbole. Sometimes a character is reputed to have omnipotence but in truth, there are feats to show that he or she isn't or there are a lack of feats one way or another.

If there is a thread specifically for this type of discussion and the users are remaining respectful towards one another, I see no harm.

@Dream said:

@Erik: I had discussed this in PM with taka. Anything I contribute to Vice is out of whatever I enjoy and desire to do. I don't want to make it a job. I get enough of that working 40 hours a week in real life and I prefer to unwind when I'm home instead of dealing with more hassle from online.

Haha I understand you completely. You are here because you like being here and contribute when you feel like it. We could use more users like you around these parts.

@Erik:

For me, I'm too soft. I give people second chances. Most take that chance to fix their mistakes. Some just go out on a killing spree when I'm not online. My hours on the site is listed in AV, so everyone knows when I'm online. It's a double edge sword. I have to set a schedule when school gets too busy.

@ImDictatorBowDown:

Yeah, I agree with you. I'll lock this thread before Sonata comes online. I did this thread without consulting him.

@takashichea: Compassionate moderators are a must. So you keep doing you. There is always going to be a need for mods that have a hammer in their toolbox though.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel