Hei vs. Edward Elric

Topic started by Galenbeta on April 17, 2013. Last post by Whats_out_the_bag 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by Galenbeta (3,025 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Edward Elric
Edward Elric

No Philosopher Stones

No Meteor Fragment

Post by taichokage (13,375 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Might go with Hei on this due to his agility and better fighting skills. Depending on the area and distance though, Ed could have a chance to whip up some environmental alchemy to his advantage, to block or trap Hei. But it would probably have to be an enclosed area like inside of a building for Ed to realistically have a good chance.
Post by bigz007 (1,092 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@taichokage:

I agree with this, but I just want to add something.

Hei needs to finish this quickly. If he can't he's gonna lose.

If Edward figures out fast enough that Hei is using electricity he can counter him with changing his automail in some material that does not conduct electricity and that will definitely give him an advantage.

Post by ReiKai (3,517 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Hei can shock through clothes via the wire as well and just as easily through physical skin contact. Ed can change his outfit, but not his own flesh&blood. Also, electricity is only the most basic aspect of his power as a Contractor. His actual, full power is quantum control over matter and energy. It's how he made the particle that the Government was going to use to kill all Contractors not exist anymore.
Post by ReliusClover (784 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Hei stomps.

Post by phantomrant (1,350 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Ed's skill in the field isn't great compared to Hei, even when Hei was rusty in the second season. He'll fall to a wire trap, and from the Hei electrocutes him. But Hei will literally have to go all-out, as Ed is not only faster but also has an incredible advantage with alchemy.

@phantomrant: Ed isn't and won't be faster in any dimension than Hei nor do i see him having the slightest advantage in anything with alchemy.

@ReliusClover said:

@phantomrant: Ed isn't and won't be faster in any dimension than Hei nor do i see him having the slightest advantage in anything with alchemy.

Except he is. He was stated to be faster than Scar by one of the Chimeras that both were fighting (along with keeping up with him in the fights they've been in). Same Scar that not only bullet-timed but also kept up with a supersonic Bradley in close-quarters combat just fine. Whereas Hei is still stuck in the mid-subsonic range.

The terrain is all in Ed's favor. He can erect barriers, disorient Hei by upheaving the ground below him, and using it to clobber him.

Don't get me wrong. Hei wins. Only if he fully utilizes his battle intellect and weaponry.

@phantomrant: Edward is peak human to faster than the eye can see at best, you can go on about character statements (actually remember that scene lol, quiet impressive given how long ago i read the series) all day long if you want, fact is not a single feat suggests more than what i have said.

And really we're talking about a guy with potentially island level dc as well as the ability to manipulate matter, atoms and shit, anything in FMA shown by every single character except for soul-fuckery which needs prep isn't even close to being as half as impressive as that. I don't think that anything that Ed does can actually surprise Hei or even make him consider Ed a moderate threat.

@ReliusClover said:

@phantomrant: Edward is peak human to faster than the eye can see at best, you can go on about character statements (actually remember that scene lol, quiet impressive given how long ago i read the series) all day long if you want, fact is not a single feat suggests more than what i have said.

You're... ignoring character statements and feats. You can peg him down by stating that he's at a speed much lower than he really is however much you want, but it's not going to change the fact that Ed is supersonic or bordering on it. I've stated that he has gone up against Scar several times without any trouble following his movements + the fact that someone who fought the two of them made out Ed as the faster one. I don't know the reason why you're pegging him so low, but uh.... you need to bring up some evidence to support your view on what Ed's speed really is.

And really we're talking about a guy with potentially island level dc

It's useless in this thread and it's useless in any thread that involves the Gate unless Hei has gone completely berserk.

as well as the ability to manipulate matter, atoms and shit, anything in FMA shown by every single character except for soul-fuckery which needs prep isn't even close to being as half as impressive as that.

The ability is certainly more powerful, but it's not invincible against alchemy.

I don't think that anything that Ed does can actually surprise Hei or even make him consider Ed a moderate threat.

Constantly blindsiding Hei or tripping him over by manipulating the earth isn't going to disorient or surprise him? Ed can easily control the distance between the two of them given that he has some degree of control over the battlefield they're fighting in, something that Hei tends to try to take advantage of.

Hei can never at any point take this battle as anything less than seriously. He has to commit to using his wits to outsmart and outdo Ed. A mistake against someone who's faster than him can led to a spear in his gut or some blocks of rock falling on him.

Post by Whats_out_the_bag (1,438 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@phantomrant: Have you never read Darker than black? At least watch the anime, because I don't see what the hell you think Ed is going to do to this bullet timer. His hand to hand combat skill is above anyone Ed has fought.

@phantomrant: The weight of character statements (not all of them) is rather insignificant in an argument so yes you can say that i am ignoring them, a simple character statement when not backed up by something is not even worth mentioning.

And fighting a bullet timer (and getting trashed by one like Ed) does not make you one bullet timing as it only goes for the reactions.

And you can use as much flowery language you want and try to bolster it up, alchemy in fact is nothing more than some fancy elemental manipulation and pretty love tire on top of that, i've seen more impressive stuff in Avatar and no i don't ever remember Ed manipulating the distance between him and someone else, the best he can do is make spikes erupt at the location of his enemy which as i have already said is not impressive.

@ReliusClover: Alchemy is not impressive?

Post by ReiKai (3,517 posts) See mini bio Level 10
It's not that. However, Hei doesn't specifically require being near Heaven's Gate to use his power at a quantum level. Those are generally the only time he Needs to. Except once in "Gemini of the Meteor" when he freed Yin from being the destroyer of the world by seeming to kill her through his power, yet not killing her and enabling a full existence for her as well as other Dolls.

While Ed has fought Homunculi and other Alchemists, Hei has fought with other Contractors whose abilities have ranged from manipulation of heat and cold, to weight and gravity, even teleportation and sonic attacks. Even the magician guy who could bend space.
Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,041 posts) See mini bio Level 16

My man Hei!

@bigz007: How is creating a dome of rocks impressive in about any category?

@ReliusClover: If causally creating a ginormous prison made of rocks just by looking is not impressive to you, why don't you stop with watching anime in general. What do you want them to do? Stand on their eyelashes?

@bigz007: First of all we are talking about it from a VS debating perspective, when i watch anime or read manga i don't care how powerful someone is as long as it's actually good and the characters are well written.

On the other hand on the battle dome i reduce every character to how strong they and their attacks are. I don't see how creating a dome of the size of a huge building made of generic rocks would be anything even worth mentioning in VS debating, perhaps if the enemy was Guts, a superhuman with no powers at all, but hell even he would tear through that thing. Actually it's hard to think of a decent combat oriented character that wouldn't be able to do it.

So yeah, given that my definition of impressive in VS debating is something above the HST level than i can't do anything but to laugh at FMA.

@ReliusClover: Do you know that characters don't have to be OP to be interesting?

@bigz007: Did you even read what i said?

Gonna repeat it slow for you: I don't care about how strong/powerful characters are when watch or reading manga is concerned, some of my favorite characters are weak as hell and i don't judge characters or series based on their power level nor do i really care about it, the personalities and the story are important.

But we are in a VS thread right now which means the only thing i find relevant is the power of a character which is what the word "impressive" stands for in this case, the power behind an attack and nothing more.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel