Goku (Instant Transmission) Vs Silver Surfer (Speed)

Topic started by comicfanforever on Nov. 18, 2009. Last post by JThree47693 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Sonata said:
" @rein said:
" @Andras said:
" @rein said:
" @Andras said:
" @Sonata said:
" Well then seems like everyone agrees that SS takes it, so a mod can wrap a chain around this oneXD "
Na i'll leave it open.  We all know some DBZ fanboy will bring this up 5 months from now just to be owned :p "
it would provide some nice facepalm material. "
I must gather my resources "
Xd Welcome to the vice btw "
Whispers in his ear, Thats Acer:P "

Really? i had no idea lol
Post by Sonata (35,223 posts) See mini bio Level 20
LOLXD
Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,143 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Andras said:
" @Sonata said:
" Well then seems like everyone agrees that SS takes it, so a mod can wrap a chain around this oneXD "
Na i'll leave it open.  We all know some DBZ fanboy will bring this up 5 months from now just to be owned :p "

Ah wonderful, yet another DBZ hater has joined the forums (oh well, at least your user pic is awesome).
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@GIRUGAMESH: If you would have read the rest you would have known it was Acer a mod not a newbie and he doesn't hate DB he hates DB Fanboys and DBE just like the rest of us. and frankly this is an DB Fanboy magnet so yeah i`ll keep it open for the lulz ^^
@Mortein:  

Well actually from the feats of IT provided thus far it would appear that it is indeed instant, you never see Goku travelling in space once he's used it (although I accept that Goku has never had to travel as far as the surfe

@Sonata said:

"Well then seems like everyone agrees that SS takes it, so a mod can wrap a chain around this oneXD "

Since when? I leave the forums for 1 day and this happens. My previous point remains: Goku was able to travel from Earth to Namek in the blink of an eye, yet a spaceship that reached Jupiter in seconds took several weeks to get to Namek (I must have made this point about 3 times now).

Post by Sonata (35,223 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@GIRUGAMESH: SS can move across the universe in moments seen in the scans posted earlier.
@Sonata said:
" @GIRUGAMESH: SS can move across the universe in moments seen in the scans posted earlier. "

1. The time in which it took him to move wasn't specified, it was a short amount of time, but not necessarily as short as a matter of moments. 
2. IT is instant, in all cases shown. Even if what you stated is the case, Instant>>>moments.
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@GIRUGAMESH: The Silver Surfer was specially designed by Galactus to travel the cosmos searching for suitable planets for him, at one point he has travelled the entire universe in a matter of minutes, nothing in DBZ has ever compared to that kind of speed and The Surfer's speed has no known upper limit. He moves far too fast that he is forced to enter a new speed dimension that is not restricted to the speed of light. 

ND
@Newdeath said:
" @GIRUGAMESH: The Silver Surfer was specially designed by Galactus to travel the cosmos searching for suitable planets for him, at one point he has travelled the entire universe in a matter of minutes, nothing in DBZ has ever compared to that kind of speed and The Surfer's speed has no known upper limit. He moves far too fast that he is forced to enter a new speed dimension that is not restricted to the speed of light.   ND "

Well that's wonderful newdeath, but just because he was specifically desgined for uber-travel doesn't mean that he is unsurpassable in speed. Yes we saw him in the scan, that was very impressive, but I rather doubt that was the "entire universe" (unless you are referring to a different incident, in which case I apologize).  
"The Surfer's speed has no known upper limit".  
Neither has IT, it has never been shown (as previously stated) to be less than 'instant', meaning the limitations of its speed have never been shown. And as for the last point, I think it is safe to say that the speeds we are dealing with here are far beyond light speed. This is either a win for IT or a tie, simply due to the reason you highlited (the upper limits of their speeds are never demonstated).
Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, SS Has IT Too, (can teleport anyone he has been before)
@GIRUGAMESH: I never said his speed is unsurpassable, I said he has no known speed limit, many fictional characters don't have speed limits in their respective universes and there are other characters faster than them.  

Listen. Even though IT doesn't have a known speed limit its highest speed feat still doesn't compare to the highest speed feat of The Silver Surfer so we cannot assume that it can reach the kind of speed The Surfer does because it never has and if we do it would be speculation. Just because both of them don't have known speed limits doesn't mean its a tie because IT's highest feat doesn't compare to The Surfer's highest feat. Superman's speed has no known limit as well as The Flash but it is well established that The Flash is faster because Superman has never achieved the top speed The Flash has.  

ND
@rein said:
"Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, SS Has IT Too, (can teleport anyone he has been before) "

Does he indeed? So I take it he hadn't been to the place shown in your scan? (Or was that just poor writing and failed logic?) 
Anywho, the point still stands, this is at least a tie.
@GIRUGAMESH said:

" @rein said:

"Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, SS Has IT Too, (can teleport anyone he has been before) "

Does he indeed? So I take it he hadn't been to the place shown in your scan? (Or was that just poor writing and failed logic?) Anywho, the point still stands, this is at least a tie. "
Yeah it's likely SS has never been there, so he couldn't teleport. anyway i agreed with you quite a few posts ago, we have no idea if It is actually instant, so we can't really decide who is  faster
@GIRUGAMESH: Its not a tie. Just because these two characters don't have a known speed limit doesn't mean they are tied because the other character (The Surfer) has a higher speed feat than the highest speed feat of IT. Here is an example: Marvel's Hercules has no known upper strength limit and Blue Marvel also does not have a known upper strength limit but it is well established that Blue Marvel is stronger because he has better strength feats than Hercules. I was just using that as an example. If IT really is instant (we are not sure of that) then you are correct and we cannot decide who is faster but if it isn't instant it is slower.

ND
@Newdeath said:
" @GIRUGAMESH: Its not a tie. Just because these two characters don't have a known speed limit doesn't mean they are tied because the other character (The Surfer) has a higher speed feat than the highest speed feat of IT. Here is an example: Marvel's Hercules has no known upper strength limit and Blue Marvel also does not have a known upper strength limit but it is well established that Blue Marvel is stronger because he has better strength feats than Hercules. I was just using that as an example.  ND "
I actually have to disagree, While your example of Hercules and BM likely makes sense ( i don't know much about Blue marvel) it was likely established what their general strength capacity is. (e.x A writer saying that Hercules has the strength to lift a car, and then he goes and lifts the island of manhatten) In Dbz, Goku stated That "now i can travel at the speed of light!" But obviously Instant transmission must be faster then that because He was able to travel to New Namek, a planet that is unlikely in the same solar system as the planet earth. SS has more impressive feats, i should know i posted the pictures, But we are unsure as to how fast Instant transmission is, whether it is Actually instant, or Simply Very fast, therefore i have to conclude that This battle has to end in a tie, until we can have an accurate estimate on Goku's speed. 
@rein: I don't disagree with the fact that IT travels faster than light but until it is clearly shown that IT is instant we really can't tell which one is faster so I withdraw my previous comment and agree to this as being a tie. I was simply stating that just because two things have no known limit does not really mean that they are on par or something similar.  

ND
Post by DJSNuva1 (3,347 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Silver Surfer is clearly faster.
Post by sinister_noob_incarnate (474 posts) See mini bio Level 3
surrrre he is.
jk, i know
Post by sinister_noob_incarnate (474 posts) See mini bio Level 3
@Nerx said:
" @DJSNuva1 said:
" Silver Surfer is clearly faster. "
Yep that has been agreed upon , just a quarrel with the average DBZ fanboy here "
yup, we are wining.
@Newdeath said:
"@GIRUGAMESH: I never said his speed is unsurpassable, I said he has no known speed limit, many fictional characters don't have speed limits in their respective universes and there are other characters faster than them.   Listen. Even though IT doesn't have a known speed limit its highest speed feat still doesn't compare to the highest speed feat of The Silver Surfer so we cannot assume that it can reach the kind of speed The Surfer does because it never has and if we do it would be speculation. Just because both of them don't have known speed limits doesn't mean its a tie because IT's highest feat doesn't compare to The Surfer's highest feat. Superman's speed has no known limit as well as The Flash but it is well established that The Flash is faster because Superman has never achieved the top speed The Flash has.     ND "

That simply isn't true, Newdeath, you are making the classic comic fanboy mistake here of basing one's abilities purely on feats, you aren't applying logic here. For example, by your method of thinking it could be said that Freiza in his first form is stronger than Fat Buu, because Fat Buu never demonstrated the power to destroy a planet (which is absurd). As Rein stated, you simply cannot say that the surfer is faster because his greatest speed feat is beyond anything showed by IT, as it would be pure speculation and guesswork. 

Let me provide you with an example. Being A is capable of teleporting anywhere in the universe whenever he wants (I am not necessarily suggesting that Goku is capable of that). However, Being A only likes to stay in his part of the galaxy, so he only goes to planets within that galaxy (instantly, of course). However, there is another being in this universe, Being B. Being B is capable of travelling at 1,000,000 times the speed of light, and goes off to the furthest reaches of space, demonstrating greater feats than Being A. Yet it cannot be said that Being B is faster than Being A, as Being A's travel is instantaneous. Yet an onlooker would believe that Being B would indeed have greater speed. 

Now, this can easily be applied to this situation. I am not stating that Goku certainly has instant travel (as the title of the technique would suggest), but that he may, with IT, be capable of speeds far beyond the surfer. This match must therefore be considered a tie, since the upper limits of both remain unkown. 

Oh and DJSNuva1, please refrain from making pointless posts.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel