Since Sonata, takashichea and myself have been making various tweaks to the original Battle Forum rules that were set up from three years ago, I think it is long due for a cleanup and overhaul for what was laid out before by Little_Sparrow. For current users, the rules for this forum aren't much different from what we've tweaked from the previous thread. However for new users, it would be a good idea to have an understanding of what rules you need to follow so things are enjoyable for your posting in here and to prevent any thread locks, warnings and bans from taking place.
- With this being an anime/ manga site, any Battle thread created must include at least one anime and/or manga character. Any match created in here that doesn't include one will be locked on sight by the mods.
- Battle threads will be locked after either 200 posts or if a clear outcome has been determined. Exceptions to the rules are Challenge a Vicer (CAVs) and Tournament Threads. Some threads may be allowed to have an extension up to 400 posts via a community vote. Click on Over The Limit!: AV Battle Community Vote Thread for more information.
- Manga scans that have watermarks of pirated websites must be edited out and no links to a pirate site are allowed. Depending on the mod, any scans with pirate site watermarks will either be edited for you or will be removed from the post. Pirate site links, on the other hand, will be removed from a post on sight by a mod.
- Pictures of fighters involved and details on battle conditions (see below) must be included in the opening post of a match. If you choose to follow Default Battle Conditions (read below), please specify this within the post. Failure to do so in 24 hours will result in the match being locked.
- Please watch your spelling when making a match. Be sure character names are spelled properly and include "vs" for versus between character names/ teams for one-on-one and team matches. This is necessary for both mods and regular members to know if a match has already been created previously in the forum.
- If a character's first name is used within multiple titles, please specify the character's last name or what title they are from in the title or opening post of the thread when making a match. Please use official English names used by the official anime and manga publishing companies.
- Please make matches as fair as possible. Any thread with a match where one side is greatly outmatched or intentionally made to spite or flame the forum will be immediately locked.
- Foul language and memes are allowed to be included in posts, so long as they aren't used to insult other users. Insults and flaming are highly frowned upon in debates for matches and punishment for this can vary from warnings, thread locks or temporary/ permanent bans depending on repeated offenses.
- Repeat threads aren't allowed and will be locked on sight if a mod finds one. Use the Search function to see if any match has been posted already before making one. An exception to this rule will be made if the characters involved in a prior match are at different levels or transformed states.
- Trolling (users intentionally insulting other users to incite flame wars and posting anything that is offensive and not relevant to a thread topic) won't be tolerated and users inciting such behavior will be disciplined with punishment dependent on the severity of their actions.
Image Posting Rules with Site Issues
- If you're a user of mobile devices like iPads, iPhones and any smartphone that have difficulty posting pictures onto threads and lack any other means of accessing this site, let one of the mods know and we will include pictures onto the opening post of your thread.
- The parchments used for tweaking or adding onto parts of your post won't function or render properly if you try accessing this site on a regular computer via Internet Explorer. To access this site properly, we would recommend you download and install Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as those browsers enable full functionality and proper rendering of the post parchments. If you do have private access to a computer, you are still responsible for installing any of these browsers and posting your own images for the opening post of any match you make.
- There is another helpful thread with suggestions on using Anime Vice's wiki galleries and other ways to post links in times of glitches.
To allow everyone posting in a match to know all they need to factor in for it, it is required that battle conditions for the match are specified in the opening post of the thread. Here is everything that should be included for match details, if necessary:
- Character Versions (the attributes of a character per a particular saga/ continuity/ series, if they are in a transformed state, have certain abilities)
- Setting (Location, time of day, any bystanders present, available resources)
- Mentalities (If character is fighting with regular tactics/ mentality or are bloodlusted)
- Knowledge (If characters in a match have knowledge of one another and any prep time [if so, specify how much])
- Distance Apart
- Gear (standard or special weapons/ tools/ items)
- How Match is Won (incapacitation, submission, death, removed from battlefield, wiped from existence)
- Special Conditions (time limits, handicaps, boundaries, etc...)
Types of Matches Allowed
Outside of one-on-one and team battles, these are the types of matches that will be allowed to be posted in the forum provided they follow Battle Forum Rules.
- Handicap matches- Matches where one side has a numbers disadvantage in a match.
- Gauntlet matches- Matches where a character(s) go up against multiple characters in a row. Battle conditions in the opening post should specify the characters that the one running the gauntlet will be up against and if the character(s) running the gauntlet gets fully recovered between matches, limited recovery time or must fight the next opponent(s) in line immediately afterward. Up to ten characters/ teams can be used in a gauntlet match, should have effort put at structuring characters in line from weakest to strongest where possible and the majority of those in the gauntlet must be anime/ manga characters.
- Joke Battles- Non-serious matches that are allowed provided they don't get posted too frequently. Rules on banned characters (except religious gods) will be relaxed for these types of matches.
- "Who Can Beat xxxxx?" Matches- Threads asking for any character(s) that can beat a specific character mentioned in the title of the thread. Must involve anime/ manga characters in some form per General Rules and a specific power scope must be specified within the match (Examples: city-level, continental, planetary, galactic, universal, multiversal.)
- Tournament Battles- Forum tournaments organized by a user involving set rules, anime/ manga characters and/or multiple Vice members. If the one organizing the tournament needs consulting on whether elements to their tournament follow forum rules, feel free to PM me or Sonata.
- Challenge a Vicer (CAV) Match- Two Anime Vice members agree to a debate with one another involving a team of characters and agreed-upon conditions for the match.
Banned Battle Threads/ Characters
Due to specific types of characters and matches having potential to derail match discussion or potential to spark flame wars, they are banned from being posted and will be locked on sight. Here are the types of matches and characters not allowed to be posted in the Battle forum:
- Superman Family vs DBZU characters at any level.
- Battle threads involving any godlike or near-godlike being from any form of media that are at least high-multiversal level or higher in scope. What I mean by this is characters that are fully omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and omnipresent (existing in all planes of reality within their title) or are close to all of these levels with some form of limitation that prevents them from gaining perfect status in all three. Characters that fulfill only one or two of these requirements in perfect or near-perfect status like abstracts or high-level reality warpers don't technically fall under any form of godlike status and thus are not banned.
- Battle threads featuring characters with toonforcing. If the character only makes use of toonforcing for a small number of abilities and feats, then only their feats with the ability are banned and shouldn't be factored in for a match.
- Characters with little to no feats.
- Characters that are megaversal level or higher in terms of power (regardless if they are godlike or not)
- A whole Universe vs one of more character threads.
- Universe vs Universe threads
- Fan-Fic Character battle threads (Ex: Made up fusion characters, and characters that have no legitimate feats in officially licensed Anime/Manga material.)
- Vote Battle Threads.
- Battle threads containing more than one match posted in the opening post.
- Any matches that involve heavy buffing and/or nerfing to participants in a match to either make a match fair or one-sided in favor of a character. This rule extends also to "you vs whomever" style battles that involve randomly generating a set of powers to use against an opposing side.
For a specific list of characters that meet the criteria to be banned in this forum, refer to the banned characters list for details and for suggestions on other characters that should be added.
Feats, Respect and Fan-Calc Threads
The Battles forum is made specifically in mind for matches and battle tournaments. If there are any feats, respect threads or fan-calcs you would like to devote a thread for, please add them to the General Discussion forum or any specific wiki forum thread that the topic would be relevant for. If the thread involves a character or topic not involving anime or manga, then post it in the Off-Topic forum. If you would like to make mention of your thread to those in the Battle forum, refer to the Facts and Feats thread and contact takashichea via PM to add the link for your thread onto the list.
Default Battle Conditions
In the event that no details or specific elements aren't specified in the opening post of a battle thread, specify that "Default Conditions" will be followed for a match. In such a case, these conditions will be laid out in place for a match:
- Anime/ manga/ light novel characters involved are at stats as of current point or end of series. If all three have ongoing adaptations, whatever is further along in plot gets priority for judging capabilities. If the character is from a series franchise with different continuities, their strongest incarnation will be used in the match (Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball being notable examples).
- Characters from other mediums will have their mainstream or most popular incarnations judged in the match. For instance, any match with Superman and other DC Comics characters will involve the post-Crisis versions of their characters.
- Battles will be set in a large and indestructible grasslands area with characters 100 yards apart from one another.
- All involved will be in character and battle is fought until the opponent(s) is incapacitated or killed.
- Unless characters are from the same title, they have no knowledge of one another. If they are from the same title, they have knowledge of their opponent's abilities yet no time to prepare.
- Characters involved will start off in base form (if they have transformed states) and will come into battle with standard weapons/ equipment (if applicable).
If you want to share any suggestions or recommendations to the rules, please post a comment here or at this thread: Suggestion Box for Battlations.