Animevice Tier list? (poll)

Topic started by rein on Oct. 26, 2010. Last post by MisterShin 3 years, 4 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Yes
  • no
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
The point of this thread is to gauge the interest towards an anime tier list. The concept of a tier list is very simple. We would try to sort the manga/anime megaverse into order of strongest to weakest. I feel that this would help to avoid spites, (and honestly it seems like a lot of fun)
I wanted to see how many people would be interested in making this with me. If i'm the only one who thinks this is a good idea, i'll simply make it into a blog post (at which point it would just be a matter of my opinion)
Rules For the list can be discussed later.
Post by FormerCrimsonKing (4,428 posts) See mini bio Level 15
i agree completely with this.... it would make it easier for ppl to understand how powerful certain anime's are...and make the site even better
Post by JThree47605 (1,004 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Yes, this is a good idea
I would also like to note that i don't think this violates the no universe vs universe rule because were ranking them rather then having an actual battle.
Post by FormerCrimsonKing (4,428 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@rein:  yeah it isnt, its more like sorting the verses out so less rape threads are made 
Post by deathmonger (1,036 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@rein:
I like it comicvine did this right
@deathmonger: They might have done a list with individual characters, but since there are really only 6 major universes (that I'm aware of) They wouldn't have much to work with in a universe list.
@rein said:
" @deathmonger: They might have done a list with individual characters, but since there are really only 6 major universes (that I'm aware of) They wouldn't have much to work with in a universe list. "

Um does well Kami tenchi is tops
@deathmonger: Anime has more then one multiversal god, but you do bring up a good point. Should we include the gods of a series when we factor in their fighting strength?
@rein said:
" @deathmonger: Anime has more then one multiversal god, but you do bring up a good point. Should we include the gods of a series when we factor in their fighting strength? "

I always thought of Manga.//anime power tier with all from all universes toghether  
yes gods should be included
Post by SamJaz (12,458 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Wait, I'm confused. 

Is this a ranking system to see if all the characters of Dragonball Z went to war with Bleach, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Gurren Lagann, Gantz Etc? 

In that case, wouldn't Kyon, the one person who can use Haruhi Suzimiya, end up becoming God Emperor of the Universe on a non-existent throne?
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@SamJaz said:
" Wait, I'm confused.   Is this a ranking system to see if all the characters of Dragonball Z went to war with Bleach, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Gurren Lagann, Gantz Etc?   In that case, wouldn't Kyon, the one person who can use Haruhi Suzimiya, end up becoming God Emperor of the Universe on a non-existent throne? "
the fact that god is very relative in anime make this argument invalid
Online Now
@cfatalis: 
1) Her power is to destroy the world and replace it with one she likes is kinda hard to beat.
2) That was just an example. Main question is: "Is this a ranking system to see if all the characters of Dragonball Z went to war with Bleach, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Gurren Lagann, Gantz Etc?"
@SamJaz: Well, that was something i was trying to figure out as well. A tier list can be done two ways (that i know)
  1. Average character from universe A is >>> average character from universe B so universe A has a higher spot on the list then B even if B's strongest character is stronger then the rest of universe a
  2. Overall power. Universe A vs universe b. Which would mean that the universes that have omnipotents would be at the top even if their normal cast is comparatively weak.
Online Now
@rein: I see what you mean. Jack Rakan and Negi Springfield are DBZ tier, for example, but most of the cast are closer to Index level, if that.
And then there's skill level and abilities. Carrying on with Mahou Sensei Negima and Index, Touma would wipe the floor with Negi due to his Imagine Breaker, which should, in theory, also stop Ki blasts and Goku going super saiyan. However, it wouldn't stop Goku from breaking his spine with his muscles.
The main problem is establishing normal human. In DBZ, I think that farmer was level 12 or something, and by the time he beat Frieza, Goku was over 5 million. These power levels are very inconsistent even within the same universe, let alone across them.
@SamJaz said:
In DBZ, I think that farmer was level 12 or something, and by the time he beat Frieza, Goku was over 5 million. These power levels are very inconsistent even within the same universe, let alone across them. "
When i had said "average" i had meant the average combat character.
For example  The "average" combat character in FMA is somewhere between large building and city block level. Father on the other hand could possibly destroy a city or even a country.
if we were to use a series like DBZ i think we would look at the Buu era for their place on the list, because they are the "average" characters at the EOS.
Online Now

@rein: Oh, I know non-combatants don't count as Average. I was trying to establish a universal baseline.
Yeah, EOS is the best place to draw character's strength from, barring examples where characters lost power (I'm looking at you Bleach). 

But then again, drawing strength from destructive capability is also flawed. Vash the Stampede levels cities by accident, and while he does turn out to be able to literally level cities with sheer strength, Kei Kurono could not. However, Kei Kurono would slaughter the hell out of the likes of Father and Cell, because he's Kei Kurono and his job is killing shit that should be impossible for him to kill.

If we're doing this, we need to factor Badass points.  Not for Chuck Norris facts or anything, simply so we can recognise that on paper, John McClain could never take on a building full of terrorists with no shoes, but attitude and sheer willpower make up for that.
It's like what they said in Gurren Lagann: "Break through the impossible and kick logic to the curb.", because in anime, a man can triple in strength by shouting about the strength of his soul, and even then he doesn't have to do that, he just needs to be a total badass.

This is not gonna be easy, but I think we can agree that those in Gantz earn the highest Grit score.
@SamJaz said:
  This is not gonna be easy, but I think we can agree that those in Gantz earn the highest Grit score. "
^^ this we agree upon.
Online Now
@rein: 
Indeed. It's a fun thought game to consider how long anime characters would last in Gantz if they were stripped of all of their powers.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel