what the hell is this show??

Topic started by super2j on Jan. 15, 2012. Last post by Bocam 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by super2j (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

So because of the winter watch for the sequel, i started watching this, surprisingly, i watched the first episode 3 years ago and was uninterested then. I still kind of feel the same way but being able to marathon it has allowed me to be able to watch it and give it another chance. My problem is that i can barely keep up with what is happening. It's so spastic. Is there a sick story that will unfold or is it these mini arcs (im on episode 3) that will look at specific super abusive characters. Do i need to watch this to enjoy the sequel that just came out? honestly there are other shows i could spend time with, im a couple weeks behind on one piece and like 60 episodes on fairy tail. and im sure there were a couple others shows from the last year that i heard(anime vice's top 10 of 2011 list) of that i can spend time with instead in similar marathon fashion. I loved Death note which kinda seems like the closest comparison.

Post by Bocam (14 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You need to watch it to enjoy the sequal
Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@super2j: It's a Shaft and Shinbo show, featuring a lot of head-tilting and Japanese puns. Honestly, this is probably not one to watch if you don't like the first few episodes. Go watch something easier.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I didn't begin to really enjoy Bakemonogatari until about halfway through, when they started to introduce more interesting characters. But it REALLY hit me in the last episode, with one of my favorite action scenes. It's not for everyone, to be certain, but it has some great aspects going for it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,233 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Online Now

@Bocam said:

You need to watch it to enjoy the sequal

Not really.

Post by super2j (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@sickVisionz: so im getting mixed messages, is the sequel the same universe? same characters? If so, do they recap everything?

@DocHaus: i just feel apathetic. If anything slightly erring on the side of not wanting to watch this. But that alone is not enough to stop me from watching more. I just want to know if it gets more intense. For example, are there verbal bombs? like are there insane plot twists or realizations in these lengthy conversations?

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@super2j: Same universe and characters? Yes. But there's no recap if you want to know their original motivations. As for the insane parts...it does get a little more bloody and crazy, but the show is split into mini-arcs focusing on Araragi's interactions with various crazy women in his life. My personal favorite would have to be the Suruga Monkey one (eps 6-8) and how she ties in with Araragi and Senjogahara and the freaky arm that punches through his chest.

I can't answer you the ones about verbal jabs and revelations, those you'll have to figure out on your own.

Online Now

@super2j said:

@sickVisionz: so im getting mixed messages, is the sequel the same universe? same characters? If so, do they recap everything?

Same universe, same characters, no recap. I've never seen Bake and I'm enjoying Nise. To me, it would be like watching Matrix Reloaded without having seen the Matrix. There is character history that you won't know but you can pick up everything you need to enjoy the sequel just by watching the sequel.

@sickVisionz: The later episodes are going to be confusing if you haven't seen the first season. Saying anymore would be spoiling
Online Now

@Bocam: We'll see, but I think people underestimate just how much you can pick up from context clues or reading into how characters act around each other.

@sickVisionz: I'm just going by the novels. They already moved some stuff around to make it easier for first time viewers. I hope you're right
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel