ATTACK ON TITAN: Best Spring 2013 Anime? - - THE VICE PIT

Topic started by No_name_here on April 25, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Recent Vice Pit sessions on...

• When Battle Anime Sucks?
  • How to Deal with Anime Haters
  • POKEMON Deserves Respect?
  • PSYCHO-PASS: Best Show of 2013 So Far?
  • FROM UP ON POPPY HILL Review
  • Recent sessions in Vice Pit: Undercover...

Classic Vice Pit sessions on...

• Hentai Confessions!
  • Serious Anime Life Advice!
  • Interrogating an Anime Noob!
  • Top 3 Scariest Anime Monsters Ever!
  • ONE PIECE vs. DRAGON BALL Z!
  • We are the Ambassadors of Anime!
  • What Makes A Good Anime Club?
  • Worst Anime Ever...!
  • The Top 3 Greatest Anime Theme Songs of All Time!
  • When You're Embarrassed to Like Anime?
  • You can check out every episode of the Vice Pit here.

Be sure to submit questions and topics for a future Vice Pit session here. We will answer them!

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his . Visit his site - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Sam Weller is a writer and actor who's scribed for shows like FIRST EDITION, GEEK THERAPY, and most recentlyBATGIRL: SPOILED. He also really likes anime. To know what is going to happen next, follow@cravesam

Post by Marshal Victory (2,654 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Ehh may be reading to much into it .Best to enjoy the ride .. Then when the ride has come to a complete stop ,look back upon it an see if the journey was a comentary.Also you have to look at comentary in movies as fleeting. .

Entertainment with out a secret handshake is best.

What few good anime for me this season has had a hook . A change up in plot a sucker punch .So far this one has been the exception for me.I would say it is best so far this season for me.

Also the giants have creepy smiles mostly.Naked true but no naughty bits..so not sure what they are smiling about.

Post by Donwun (127 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Eh, i wouldn't hold it against ya if the show falls off in the next couple of weeks...happens all the time with anime.

There's never any lack of creativity, mostly just follow through or big plot holes that appear over time. Alas there is nothing wrong with promoting something that shows promise. It just sucks when you end up looking like a shmuk for hyping something up. Good vid

Post by dtolson (17 posts) See mini bio Level 9

here is something for your dreams Sam

Post by AURON570 (573 posts) See mini bio Level 15

So the titans are a comment on consumerism! But the comparison could also be extended to zombies! Which brings up the question, to what extent are the titans just giant zombies? How were they created, where did they come from, to what degree are they sapient? And we all know zombies are a comment on how people sometimes behave like mindless automaton. So I think the comparison to otaku consumerism is really fitting.

Post by samweller999 (69 posts) See mini bio Level 9
    Staff

@AURON570: Thanks Man!

Yeah, dude this is a pretty thought-provoking show so far, and I think other people's comments about it being near GANTZ and BESERK levels are good...

Post by takashichea (14,383 posts) See mini bio Level 25
    Online Now

The anime has set up stuff to surprise us later on.

When Sam brought up the secret of what are the people protecting in the center of the city or the questions that was brought in the Attack on Titan Discussion: how the humans built those tall walls in hundred years, do Titans really eat humans, and how do Titans survive on just eating humans.

The anime had one of the best pilot episodes. I'm no horror thriller fan, but it reeled me in.

@Donwun said:

Eh, i wouldn't hold it against ya if the show falls off in the next couple of weeks...happens all the time with anime.

There's never any lack of creativity, mostly just follow through or big plot holes that appear over time. Alas there is nothing wrong with promoting something that shows promise. It just sucks when you end up looking like a shmuk for hyping something up. Good vid

That happened to me when I was promoting Sword Art Online and the discussion. With everyone pointing out the flaws, I got on their side.

Post by heyalexei (9 posts) See mini bio Level 10
    Staff

I dove in and watched 4 episodes last night.

Sam, your thoughts about the intensely metaphorical nature of the giants intruding on a walled city are spot on- but I don't automatically make the comparison to an artist submitting to public consumption of their product. For me, it feels like a much more on-the-nose dissection of our modern security state and the way we allow terror-based fear to turn us into foaming xenophobes who would rather hide in our basements than submit to the dangers of the outside world.

Either way, a very thought provoking show (so far) with a lot of good buried world details. Honestly, it makes me think about Naruto and the hidden ninja cities, each of which harbors its own intensely dark past that is masked by national pride. When Naruto started, it felt like a small story about a small group of ninjas, and it has since then grown... more than a little.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,233 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I've watched the first episode. It gave me a shiver at times. The antagonists portray an eerie aura. I enjoyed what I felt for the first episode. Seem like a villain to hate. Looking forward to catching up.

Post by takashichea (14,383 posts) See mini bio Level 25
    Online Now

@Supreme Marvel:

Yeah, I thought I wouldn't be able to watch this series. I said the same thing to HOTD. Both shows got me watching.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel