ATTACK ON TITAN #25 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 30, 2013. Last post by Kino88 9 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Wow. The show’s habit of leaning on to explosive pay-offs applies as much to the macro as it’s applied to the micro. Just as every mini-arc has ended with a dynamic finisher to make up for all the interminable internal monologues, so too does the larger arc end with one of the best season cliffhangers in recent memory.

All’s well that ends well, of course, and for as passionately as I’ve griped about the show’s lesser moments, they all seem rather irrelevant now with the complete picture in sight. The success of the show really comes in to sharper relief as I see MAGI Season 2 coming down the pipe. There was a show with a lot of promise which steadily squandered whatever good will it engendered until it got along to one, truly clumsy finale.

By contrast, while TITAN has left plenty of threads dangling, there’s a still a satisfying sense of resolution since, y’know, Eren has actually vanquished one of the major foes in the stories. The human resistance has actually made an important step forward in this war against the Titans. And we, as an audience, have actually learned a lot more about this world.

It’s not like it was with MAGI, where all the show’s mumbo jumbo about magoi just sort of coalesced at an arbitrary stopping point. And, for as much I’ve griped about TITAN having too large of a cast, it didn’t just dump another whole bunch of characters on us in the interest of cheating its way to an epic final battle. TITAN has focused on a small (well, relatively small) grudge match between two players, and it carries far more grandeur because it brings strong, pent-up feelings to a head.

Again... unlike MAGI.

I've fixated on comparisons here because they nicely illustrate the do's and don'ts of handling a season finale. Stay tuned for a video later today, wherein I’ll be talking about this final arc in greater detail with Mr. Matt Murphy.

Watch this episode, "Wall - Raid on Stohess District" here and decide for yourself, then read my write-up on the previous episode here.

About the Author

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk
Post by rubberluffy (573 posts) See mini bio Level 16

This last episode was a mess. Janky looking scenes, Levi magically being healed and turning the big reveal that this whole arc was leading up to into a 20 second post-credit wet fart was just horrible execution. Par for the course for this adaptation though.

Post by sickVisionz (4,238 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Good episode. They could end the series right here imo. Similar to how the Matrix ends with Neo flying off and you assume he saves the day, never knowing the specifics but just feeling that's how it plays out post credits. Hopefully if they do a sequel, it will live up to the original and not follow the Matrix path of crawling up its own ass and getting worse and worse with each release.

Post by SamJaz (11,778 posts) See mini bio Level 19

NOt seen the anime, but loved this part of the manga. Look forward to Season 2

Post by takashichea (11,064 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I somewhat enjoyed the ending and Eren's fight with Annie. That answers my suspicions about the wall. How are humans able to build those high walls with the current technology they have. I never expected Titans in the wall. Quite ironic. I was surprised how much the ending changed from the manga. They have to do a retcon, if I used that word correctly, if they do a 2nd season for the anime when the manga manages to distance itself. The creator stated that he is ending the series on volume 20.

Post by Marshal Victory (1,951 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@sickVisionz: To be fair matrix suffered on the second an 3rd movies based partialy on um personal problems of one of the borthers.An they ran out of things to rip off from anime with out being blantant about it to . 2nd an 3rd movies realy did eb away good will that the 1st had made by fans.I cant really watch the 1st one with out thinking about the next two being so meh.

Totaly agree with ya tho if they just left it at the 1st one the matrix would be still a favorite.Least of mine any way.

@rubberluffy: Back to Attack on Titan .Kinda felt ending was kinda rushed to.Tho i thought time had progressed some thus Levi's wound heal .He stil functioned int he chase earlyer with the wound .So it wasnt to much of a strech for me for what he did in the ending.

@Tom Pinchuk Dont think its totaly fair to compair MAGI to Attack on Titan other than how each show handeled plots an pace.Where as Attack on Titan hit just the enuff right plot pace to work for its gene.MAGI almost broke out of its genes acepatable plot pace only to become a mess later on.

World build tho compairng the two shows is about the same. MAGI you learn a bit how magic works ,world history an its politics.Attack on Titan you learn world history ,politics an a bit how titans work.Still alot of exploration in both.As much as you can say "mumbo jumbo about magoi" the same can be said of titans.

Post by metalsnakezero (666 posts) See mini bio Level 16

They could have made the reveal of the Titan in the wall a little better (In the manga Mikasa notice it after she kick Annie of the wall). But overall a good way to end a series while still setting up a season 2.

Post by zeemod155 (12 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@metalsnakezero: For an end of the season scenario, I feel this was the better way to handle it. With the "Mikasa noticing it" version, the atmosphere feels like it has to just really begin to jump forward into the next part of the story (a feeling that people who decide to wait a whole year for season 2 will NOT want to have). This way there is actual closure to the events of the battle without having the characters leave tension in the air. How they will handle it in the beginning of Season 2 may correct this, or allow the show to find a more appropriate way to adapt the events in that scene of Mikasa discovering it and the events that rapidly continue thereafter.

Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@rubberluffy: Wouldn't really call that Levi's magically healed since he was limping when they walked away.

Post by YotaruVegeta (539 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@rubberluffy:Huh?

Wow, Tom. Way to remind me how lackluster Magi's season 1 ender was. So sad.

Post by Kino88 (191 posts) See mini bio Level 6

good god I hope there is a season 2!!, but man..... what a master piece, it was totally..... TITAN MADNESSS!!!!!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel