AVWP Week #1: Chibi, Yay or Nay?

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Jan. 4, 2013. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Yay! All Chibi Stuff is Awesome!
  • Nay! All Chibi Stuff is Awful!
  • Only When it's for Comic Relief (e.g. Magi, Heaven's Lost Property)
  • Only When it's the Main Art Style (e.g. Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals)
  • Don't Mind/Don't Care/Waffles
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Tom has made it clear in his recent Magi Special Review, and other previous articles, that he would be happy to live in a world without chibi. How do you feel about chibi?

Personally, I can take it or leave it. I think there are many cases where it works fine and some cases where an anime might have been better without it, but mostly, I have no problem with it.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Chibi doesn't bother me that much. It does annoy me when it takes a serious situation and tries to make a funny bit of it. This mostly occurs in Heaven's Lost Prophet.

I do love Chibi-Goku though. :D

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,898 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Chibi is pretty lame most of the time, it ruins the atmosphere of some shows. But its actually good for some.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,240 posts) See mini bio Level 21

:)

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19

Chibi has its moments, especially in Heaven's Lost Property (Anime) and Sora no Otoshimono (Manga). The majority of Tomoki's best freak-outs and funny moments happen when he is portrayed in a chibi-style compared to the rest of the characters. Those who have read the manga or seen the anime can agree with me on this.

Post by takashichea (11,857 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I'm stuck between c, d, and e because I enjoyed both Magi and Rock Lee spin off series. Though, I understand why people hate the use of chibi in serious shows.

Post by MrXD (643 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Meh, doesn't matter. I care less about them.

Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12

It really depends on the way and the anime it is used for me. For example if in Psycho-Pass they suddenly started using chibis, then yeah I would mind. But in anime like FMA, I liked it (like when they were making fun of Ed because of his height). So it either C, D or E for me. Can't decide.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,675 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Chibi is awesome! this is my favorite Chibi picture eva♥

Chibi Chambers♥
Chibi Chambers♥

Also it makes comedy manga/anime a lot funnier IMO.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel