Shin Sekai Yori Anime Discussion Thread

Topic started by takashichea on Oct. 29, 2012. Last post by zaldar 1 month, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (11,827 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Welcome to the Shin Sekai Yori anime discussion thread! Here's a synopsis for those who are new.

Plot

In the future Japan has become a fractured country, and small towns now exist. The rulers of this world have the cursed power of Telekinesis. When an incident occurs, 5 children come to realize the world is not as it seems, and learn the bloody history behind this world. These 5 children unite and help the world as it falls into a downward spiral of chaos.

Written by Shels

Trailer/ PV

Here are three videos including an ending theme song to mix things up a bit. I couldn't find the opening theme song yet on Youtube.

Please enjoy them.

Why Should You Watch This Show?

This section is blank and reserved for devoted fans of this series who have stellar recommendations to convince you guys why you give this show a try.

If you guys and gals have recommendations, I'll put them here.

Thank you and all comments are welcome.

Other Discussion Threads

Here's a list of anime discussion threads in Anime Vice.

Oh, don't forget to check out Fall 2012 Anime Season Preview!

Fall 2012 Anime Discussion Threads

Past Summer 2012 Anime Discussion Threads

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

There are five episodes in and there is no OP yet, so here is the reason you couldn't find it. Instead they sometimes have a Cold Open depicting Past events, which is pretty cool.

The series is setting a good atmosphere and is revealing its plot little by little, albeit the 4th and 5th episode were a bit inconsistent. Nonetheless along with JoJo this is the series i most eagerly wait each week.

By the way, just an heads up to the Vicers regularly checking "Watch and Learn!", episode 5 of Shin Sekai Yori was Directed by no less than Shigeyasu Yamauchi, Director of Casshern Sins.

@shels:

episode 5 of Shin Sekai Yori was Directed by no less than Shigeyasu Yamauchi, Director of Casshern Sins.

Oh, that's interesting!

Do you have a blurb for this show and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures for the new fans?

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@takashichea said:

@shels:

episode 5 of Shin Sekai Yori was Directed by no less than Shigeyasu Yamauchi, Director of Casshern Sins.

Oh, that's interesting!

Do you have a blurb for this show and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures for the new fans?

I'm not a great creative writer at all, and for "Shin Sekai Yori" I am pretty much a new fan as well, but Jojo's Bizarre adventure could be pitched as an Old School Shounen, with Determined and over the top Characters set in a sort of Indiana Jones Context.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
One of my favourite shows this season. Really great atmosphere and I'm looking forward to learn more about the world and all of the lore. The first 3 episodes were slowly paced and kind of jarring. They just throw you into the world and tell you all these crazy myths and events that you're basically left to make sense of by yourself. 
I assume it was intentional and they wanted you to be as clueless as the kids until episode 4. Really looking forward to see how it develops.
One of the best ending themes of the season too.
Post by Acura_Max (2,329 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Just saw the first episode. I have no idea what is going on, but it looks pretty interesting. I have to agree with Shels. The atmosphere is pretty nice and has a pretty unique feel to it. I especially like the theme music that also plays in the trailers. Looking forward to episode 2.

Edit: Woah. This series is based on a novel (not light novel) and an award winning one at that.

Post by GrimEversor (5 posts) See mini bio Level 6

To be honest this is a great anime. I am surprised that hasn't been more hype about it. The animation is stunning to say the least, some scenes are masterpieces and can easily make for a gorgeous wallpaper , the soundtrack is grabs you and sways your mood to fit the scenes, the plot is actually mysterious and throws nice twists, the characters have depth. Definitely going to one of the best anime this season

@Petiew: I loved the Closing theme as well. Its been a while since i have actually liked a closing theme so much. Also, i love the lore of the show as well orges, the trickster cat etc.

Post by sickVisionz (4,258 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Anyone else been keeping up with this?

Post by yllekkram (33 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I've been keeping up with it and enjoying it. The one part that I liked a little less was the section in the middle where the focus changed from "Children learning about and coping with the awful truths of the world" to "Man, aren't the monster rats creepy?" I'm glad that its come full circle and shifted back to the original focus in episode 21.

Still haven't watch this series yet.

You guys and gals should check out 's blog on possible English release of the Shin Sekai Yori light novel.

Well, I was doing Shin Sekai Yori marathon. I'm on episode 6. The first few episodes can be a bit puzzling until episode 4 where the Minoshiro explained everything about the abuse of PK powers in the past. The setting of this series is in the future where children are conditioned in order to restrain their PK powers.

It's a good thing I read Shel's summary.

Post by zaldar (1,253 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Ok a why you should watch this show - Do you like anti-utopias? Do you like mysterious thought provoking anime? Do you like philosophy? Do you like things like Gurran Lagan, Eva, Ghost in the Shell? Do you think the focus on Moe is destroying Anime? THEN YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS SHOW! Really along with Madoka, and Kill la Kill this is one of the best anime series I have seen in the last five years.

@zaldar said:

Ok a why you should watch this show - Do you like anti-utopias? Do you like mysterious thought provoking anime? Do you like philosophy? Do you like things like Gurran Lagan, Eva, Ghost in the Shell? Do you think the focus on Moe is destroying Anime? THEN YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS SHOW! Really along with Madoka, and Kill la Kill this is one of the best anime series I have seen in the last five years.

Nice recommendation there. I didn't really see Moe in this show. It's just the cute character design that tried to cover up the darkness in this series.

@takashichea said:

Still haven't watch this series yet.

You guys and gals should check out 's blog on possible English release of the Shin Sekai Yori light novel.

SHIT any update on this as I first wouldn't call it a light novel in any sense of the word (NOTHING about this show is light) and to your above comment nope no moe in this show at all....though damn could it use some about episode 16 or so shit...

@zaldar:

The light in light novel has a different meaning, I believe. I guess it's differentiate between between novels (that has only text) and manga (that has images). I thought this series was based on an actual book.

My understanding is that it is a novel. I thought the light had something to do with um..quality...ease of reading....so a light novel would be something like a young adult novel or a picture book I don't know...please do anyone who knows correct me.

@zaldar:

A light novel has mainly text, but it has illustrations in more of a portrait view. Think of it like a hybrid version of novels and graphic novels/manga. Let me find an example for you:

@takashichea: so its just a novel with illustrations that can have any type of quality? I mean Branden Sanderson's work has illustrations but I wouldn't call his work in any way "light" I mean you hit someone with one of his books (especially the storm bringers saga) it knocks you out. This seems like a time of word for word translation failing. I wouldn't make any assumptions I would normally make and that I made simply because it has illustrations (especially ones as good as the above). So it doesn't mean the book is "lightweight" in any sense of the word? Interesting I wonder what the term really means then....lighter on text since page that has picture doesn't have text? (this seems silly as picture is an "extra" and it isn't like it is taking away text AND seems rather anti-illustration for a culture that is so pro visual art).

Edit: did a quick search and couldn't find anything from the light novel for from the new world looked because the above I recognized the anime immediately and it wasn't one I watched so was curious if the illustrations are the same. I really do hope someone translates the novel I want to see if it is as close to the giver as people on CR are saying the show is...it has been years since I read the giver but that is not a connection I would have made. (But comparing it to that is like comparing it to Shakespeare so....)

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel