Mysterious Girlfriend X Discussion

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Nov. 22, 2012. Last post by LHWKnight 1 month, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Welcome to the Mysterious Girlfriend X discussion thread. Because the anime ended, discussion will focus on the manga, so watch out for spoilers!

Mysterious Girlfriend X (謎の彼女X Nazo no Kanojo Ekkusu)
Publisher: Kodansha
Writer & Illustrator: Riichi Ueshiba
Genres & Themes: Comedy, Romance, Slice of Life, Dating, High School, Supernatural, Teen

Plot: Akira Tsubaki was just living his normal school life until a strange girl named Mikoto Urabe transfers into his class. One day, without thinking, he tastes the drool left behind on her desk at school and becomes ill the next day. Urabe pays Tsubaki a visit at home, and using the same drool he tasted before, seemingly cures him. Urabe tells him that it was love sickness and that he has fallen for Urabe, and has become dependent on her drool. From then on, the two start to form a bond, discovering that their drool can transmit feelings and other things between them. Tsubaki soon finds himself with a very mysterious girlfriend.
Anime Vice Wiki Page

Read Online: Crunchyroll
Watch Online: Crunchyroll Hulu Anime Network

User Reviews

Community Content

Editorial Content

Post by Marshal Victory (1,912 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

Hmm you know at 1st i wouldn't have thought of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! as being in a similar catagory but it really is.You could argue MM! as well but its more of a parody of harem anime overall i think. Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos kinda could fit as well but again its a parody where as Mysterious Girlfriend X is i belive a original work with no parody elements.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai i think would be similar in respects of humor as well 1st love .It does lack the drool tho.Since Mysterious Girlfriend X got a ova does that bode well for a second season?

@Marshal Victory: I just grabbed the top recommendations from MAL, I can always add a few more later.

Since Mysterious Girlfriend X got a ova does that bode well for a second season?

It's certainly not a bad thing! MGX seems to be about as popular as it is controversial so who knows. There's certainly plenty of manga content ready to be animated. I'd love to see...

...all the Imai Momoka stuff. And Urabe singing and dancing, that would be great.

...there's definitely some good material to use.

Post by metalsnakezero (665 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Daniel_Newton: That wouldn't be bad for a OVA. I remember reading that arc and it was kinda slow so maybe having it animated would spice it up.

@metalsnakezero: I think the manga just has a slower feel in general, even so, I don't think an OVA would cover enough of the Momoka stuff to be satisfying.

One another note, I just uploaded to Urabe fan art, I'm a little surprised we didn't have any. There are a few risqué ones, in case anyone needed a warning!

@metalsnakezero: Dude, new chapter is out, just in case you wanted to know. I wish we didn't have to wait a month for each one, it's a pretty good one though.

Uh-oh... what have you done now Tsubaki?
Uh-oh... what have you done now Tsubaki?
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,061 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I was surprised that I really enjoyed this series.

@Supreme Marvel: I think most people were, I certainly was. Have you checked the manga out? I highly recommend you do, like I said in previous posts in this thread, things get pretty fun and interesting when Momoka (the idol Urabe looks like) is introduced as a character. I usually don't check out the original manga after an anime ends but I'm glad I did with this one.

@Daniel_Newton: I've not checked it out, but I will now. I like the main guy and like how different the main gal is.

@Supreme Marvel: Cool, feel free to drop by here to talk about it, it's what this thread is for after all.

I actually just noticed some stuff in earlier chapters I didn't recognise, I thought I read the manga from where the anime left off, but I guess the anime skipped over some of the manga. I'll have to go through the older chapters at some point.

Huh, pretty sure this wasn't in the anime
Huh, pretty sure this wasn't in the anime

@Daniel_Newton: I read the first 3 chapters and she looks different in the manga to watch she looks like in the animé. Is that right? I'm reading from the beginning.

@Supreme Marvel: The art style is different at the beginning but it changes later. Look at the manga images I posted, the art style is identical.

@Daniel_Newton: I was a bit worried I was reading a fan made one or something.

@Supreme Marvel: Haha, nah sometimes an art style just develops over time like that. I'm always amazed when I see early manga artwork for Bleach, it's very different to the later stuff. The Mysterious Girlfriend X manga started back in 2006 so it's had a long time to develop.

@Daniel_Newton: When reading this, I forgot how long manga books usually are. I've read 170 pages (although I had a nap in the middle of that out of) out of 205 pages of the first manga.

Think they could make a season 2?

@Supreme Marvel: There's plenty of manga material to use so they could, we'll just have to wait and see what happens, it'll probably be a good while before we hear anything one way or another.

On chapter 47. I'm enjoying Urabe even more.

Did a couple of profile portraits for the homeroom teacher and Youko, I'll do some more soon.

On the story of Suwano and Tsubaki doing the film together. I literally lolled when Suwano requested the cast. I knew that would come.

@Supreme Marvel: Heh, couldn't have had it any other way, really. I guess you must be just about caught up with the manga now huh?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel