AgentJ's Imitation Watch and Learn: Angel Beats! #3

Topic started by AgentJ on March 18, 2011. Last post by AgentJ 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Sorry, minor spoilers ahead. Names have been left out, but you’ll likely know what I’m talking about within moments of the start of the episode.

AAAAAHHH, FUCK YOU ANGEL BEATS! YOU FINALLY FLESH OUT A CHARACTER, JUST TO KILL THEM?!?! YOU GOT-DAMNED (sic) BASTARDS!

Still love the sight gags; this show is an expert-level emotional manipulator, much like my number-one show ever: Mongolian Chop Squad. If I’m not smiling one moment,

Sniff...
 Sniff...

I’m crying the next. Okay, I’m not literally crying, but this show makes me very sad when I’m not laughing my ass off. And I love shows that can do that. In this episode, Angel Beats! Did it very well. It’s amazing; we get to hear how each of these characters died, but it isn’t until they are reincarnated that the real emotions come out. A bit ironic.

Ugh, I have a soft spot for characters that end up dying. Maes Hughes was my first, and to this day he’s my favorite character in anime. This death isn’t quite as potent, but I think she’ll make my favorite characters list, despite only getting a single episode of screen time. What can I say; I’m a sucker for a sob story. I also seem to have a thing for musically-inclined characters. K-On is probably going to chew me up and spit me out some day…

Is this what the rest of the series is going to be? Will someone fulfill themselves every episode now? Will we lose someone from now on? Like a train wreck, I don’t want to see something so horrible, but I can’t look away. 

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@AgentJ:  
You think that sad just wait, it get sadder.  
This story make me laugh for a minute and then make me sad the next, but it still a really enjoyable anime 
I hope it come over here someday, I like your watch & learn. Keep up the good work :)  
I'll try to comment more on them  
@Destinyheroknight said:
" @AgentJ:  You think that sad just wait, it get sadder.  This story make me laugh for a minute and then make me sad the next, but it still a really enjoyable anime I hope it come over here someday, I like your watch & learn. Keep up the good work :)  I'll try to comment more on them   "
I'll go get a box of tissues... And put them away when I watch High School of the Dead...
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@AgentJ:  
LOL! :)
Post by EquitasInvictus (332 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Angel Beats! is great, since it demonstrates how much Key can expand on its presentation of drama without the element of romance that drives most of its works. They did an exceptional job executing the drama for this episode and I was moved to the point where I was convinced to continue watching it. (I was actually on the fence on whether I'd follow this series until this episode when I was bought.) 

Even when they do end up having romance-powered drama later on, I found it refreshing and poignant to the point where I actually felt touched. After sitting through all of other anime adaptations of Key's visual novels, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off again without being unoriginal, but I feel like they actually did. 

I feel like the success of Angel Beats! comes from its unique setting and situation that sets everything up such that you can't really tell what's going to happen next, but it's nicely paced with a continuous flow of events. In fact, I actually think this is an anime that would've benefited from having 24 episodes if they went that path. Despite being as short as it was, however, Key did an awesome job making the most out of it.
@EquitasInvictus said:
" Angel Beats! is great, since it demonstrates how much Key can expand on its presentation of drama without the element of romance that drives most of its works. They did an exceptional job executing the drama for this episode and I was moved to the point where I was convinced to continue watching it. (I was actually on the fence on whether I'd follow this series until this episode when I was bought.) 

Even when they do end up having romance-powered drama later on, I found it refreshing and poignant to the point where I actually felt touched. After sitting through all of other anime adaptations of Key's visual novels, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off again without being unoriginal, but I feel like they actually did. 

I feel like the success of Angel Beats! comes from its unique setting and situation that sets everything up such that you can't really tell what's going to happen next, but it's nicely paced with a continuous flow of events. In fact, I actually think this is an anime that would've benefited from having 24 episodes if they went that path. Despite being as short as it was, however, Key did an awesome job making the most out of it. "
Thanks for the eloquent reply. I'm honestly still on the fence at the moment, but definitely leaning towards like. Next episode-blog will be out momentarily. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel