AgentJ's Imitation Watch and Learn: Angel Beats! #10

Topic started by AgentJ on March 29, 2011. Last post by Voxel 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Okay, this show is just screwing with me at this point. WHERE ARE THE HIDDEN CAMERAS?!?  

Angel Beats loves to take the ones I love away from me. Maybe they know I have a thing for pink hair... 
Angel Beats loves to take the ones I love away from me. Maybe they know I have a thing for pink hair... 
As expected, the whole "I'm going to help everyone" bit felt wrong. It made me hurt on my insides. I'm sorry, but fulfilling someone's regrets just isn't that easy. A couple of German suplexes and some batting practice isn't going to wash away a life of misfortune, and it turns out that Yui certainly had that.  While still funny, it seemed this show had left behind its larger meaning for that stupid slice-of-life crap (no offense to Haruhi fans :P)

And yet, I couldn't hate this episode. I couldn't even dislike it, because our creators at Key got me again with one of their characters. i mentioned before that I liked Yui, and in this episode I connected with her. While I have never been paralyzed by Robert Downey Jr. (read: drunk driver) I do know a thing about feeling like I don't belong, never being good enough, and having so many things you want to do. Its a painful feeling, seeing all the possibilities but having to settle for just one, or in her case none at all, not knowing if the one you chose was really the right one, whether you took too much of a risk, or not big enough. Its a feeling that can haunt you, follow you around in your lively pursuit, or just pop up out of nowhere on a bad day. In those adorable little pink eyes of hers, I saw myself reflected back, and when she finally had her dream come true, I felt for her. 

Granted, it was extremely ham-handed in its presentation. We get nearly no foreshadowing save for a few little wrestling bouts, and suddenly we're supposed to believe they're close enough that they want to get married? I thought they'd at least need to have a ceremony. But damn it, that snippet of their future, or imagination, or whatever it was, where they meet, get to know each other, and fall in love, only stitched my heart together to tear it in half again, like a sadistic surgeon. So while I want to hate this poorly-executed episode, I can't bring myself to do it. 
Post by Voxel (179 posts) See mini bio Level 11
That episode destroyed me emotionally. I cried :(
@natetodamax said:
" That episode destroyed me emotionally. I cried :( "
How did you react to episode 3?
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21
This episode was the second time I have cry watching an anime (first goes to Fullmetal Alchemist).  
The thing with Hinata should have been foreshadowed a little more, but still was good  
R.I.P Yui 
@Destinyheroknight said:
" This episode was the second time I have cry watching an anime (first goes to Fullmetal Alchemist).  The thing with Hinata should have been foreshadowed a little more, but still was good  R.I.P Yui  "
FMA was my first too. I suppose it was the first for a lot of people, which I'm sure contributes to its popularity. HUGHESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@AgentJ:  

FMA was my first too. I suppose it was the first for a lot of people, which I'm sure contributes to its popularity. HUGHESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Yeah, Hughes was one of the reasons I like FMA so much and it just tear my heart to see him go 
Post by Voxel (179 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@AgentJ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" That episode destroyed me emotionally. I cried :( "
How did you react to episode 3? "
Was that the one with Iwasawa? Almost cried.....
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel