Smile, You're on Otaku Candid Cam!

Topic started by gia on Jan. 27, 2010. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Akihabara: Now On Security Cam
 Akihabara: Now On Security Cam
Kotaku reports that as a result of a June 2008 incident-- when 25-year-old Tomohiro Katou rammed a rented truck into a crowd of pedestrians in Akihabara, killing seven and injuring ten more --Akiba has installed 16 security cameras throughout the pedestrian-filled streets.

The cameras are there to deter crime, of course, but I can't help but wonder if the shy otaku might balk at being on camera, especially since it's being monitored by the neighborhood association and not police or professional security. You hardly see a photo in Akihabara where all of the people have their faces covered in Photoshop after the fact-- it's because people who shop in Akihabara mostly don't want their identities known. They usually don't want their bosses (or other important figures) to know their hobbies.

On the other hand, with all of the otaku gari (otaku-hunting), theft, and other crimes that go down in Akiba, perhaps the regulars will appreciate the added security. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Post by Tempestangel (123 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I'd walk round there in Cosplay.... they'd never know..... EVER!! but I can see why Otaku will be shy... I'm generally shy about it when I go to any store...

@Tempestangel: That only works if you're cosplaying something that covers your face! ;) Besides, good cosplay is expensive!
Post by Arjuna (202 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@gia said:
" @Tempestangel: That only works if you're cosplaying something that covers your face! ;) Besides, good cosplay is expensive! "
There you are, being all shy in Akihabara, when all of a sudden!  HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

SAY SAY SAY!!!
SAY SAY SAY!!!
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Arjuna said:
" @gia said:
" @Tempestangel: That only works if you're cosplaying something that covers your face! ;) Besides, good cosplay is expensive! "
There you are, being all shy in Akihabara, when all of a sudden!  HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

SAY SAY SAY!!!
SAY SAY SAY!!!
"
I had something to say, and then this was posted. I think that pretty much sums it up for me.
Oh, Hard Gay. I miss you.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@gia said:
" Oh, Hard Gay. I miss you. "
Its hard to miss it... "its" right there... in your face.

ZING
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel