Watch & Learn: ABENOBASHI #5 + 6

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 21, 2010. Last post by SilverZeo 3 years, 9 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 He better get used to her wearing the hat.
 He better get used to her wearing the hat.

Aaaaaah… at last, the dramatic/emotional subtext of this show rears its head. So Sasshi has been, as Cake’s album put it so smoothly, “prolonging the magic.” I’m usually a little dubious whenever you have hidden, even subconscious, motivations explain actions, but I suppose it makes sense that whoever the “forces that be” are wouldn’t let these kids return until they both actually wanted to. However, I did really like the logic of one of the promo’s explanation - - that is, these kids can’t return because they’re gaining interdimensional power from goblins who’re weak enough to lose to grade schoolers (and thus, not really powerful enough to get them back home.) I can get behind that, but I’m getting less behind the notion that he’s just doing this to keep Arumi around.

Why? Because she’s actually kind of a shrew.   

Willful is fine. Hot tempered is fine. But the fact that she’ll use any reason (and often times, not even use one) to club people with that fan is starting to cross the line from charming to anti-social. She’s not even open-minded enough to enjoy this wonderful adventure she’s on. Again, I roll my eyes a lot about readers criticizing a story because “the characters aren’t likable” but my first reaction, still, is why Sasshi is so desperate to keep this girl around.

Unless, maybe even deeper down in his consciousness, he likes to get bossed around. Which could be very well be true, even at this age.

We got dinosaurs and film noir in this batch, which is actually a little puzzling, as I don’t think “dinosaurs” has ever been a genre (and I didn’t have to be some smelly otaku caricature to know that, either.)   Maybe I’ll just label that one “video games” because it gave me some serious SUPER MARIO 2 and BONK vibes.

Hey, could you lunatics weigh in on something for me? Am I the only one who feels like the beat to this show’s theme song sounds like a slightly slower tempo version of the one in “Wanna Be Starting Something”? Seriously, compare…   

…and contrast. The similarities aren’t as blatant as those between the soundtracks of BUBBLEGUM CRISIS and STREETS OF FIRE, but I know I’m not crazy here.   

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by bustajibb (51 posts) See mini bio Level 11

LOL.  I totally hear the similarities to both Abeno's OP and MJ's song.   Good catch.

You are definitely starting to get how the themes of each episode correlate.  I dont want to give anything away but think about Sasshi and what it was like to be a boy about his age.  I like the relationship between Sasshi and Arumi.  She acts as a foil to Sasshi's uncontrolled, unadulterated childish whims.  Sometimes we have to get hit in the head to think straight and act our age.  :)    

Staff
@bustajibb said: 

LOL.  I totally hear the similarities to both Abeno's OP and MJ's song.   Good catch.  

I think they even beat match if you play them at the same time.

You are definitely starting to get how the themes of each episode correlate.  I dont want to give anything away but think about Sasshi and what it was like to be a boy about his age.  I like the relationship between Sasshi and Arumi.  She acts as a foil to Sasshi's uncontrolled, unadulterated childish whims.  Sometimes we have to get hit in the head to think straight and act our age.  :)   

Yeah, but are they both kids?
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Ah I love me some Abenobashi but I agree with you about Arumi, I didn't really like her. XP But then again I don't like characters like that, (Sakura and Tokine) ugh..
Staff
@Catolf said:
" Ah I love me some Abenobashi but I agree with you about Arumi, I didn't really like her. XP But then again I don't like characters like that, (Sakura and Tokine) ugh.. "
At first I thought you accumulated some XP with that statement. Ha ha...
Post by Lovenuggets (17 posts) See mini bio Level 10
MUAHAHAHAHA! I remember this anime...oh my god it had me rofling so much!...and both the music do sound similar! I say who cares! all about the respect  :D -dances-
Post by zaldar (1,270 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Yea you are starting to get how the show interacts and its themes.  In the end you will like her more and the boy less I think but will be interesting to see.
Staff
@lovenuggets said:
" MUAHAHAHAHA! I remember this anime...oh my god it had me rofling so much!...and both the music do sound similar! I say who cares! all about the respect  :D -dances- "
Heh heh... I can just picture you shaking your tail feather.
Post by Lovenuggets (17 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @lovenuggets said:
" MUAHAHAHAHA! I remember this anime...oh my god it had me rofling so much!...and both the music do sound similar! I say who cares! all about the respect  :D -dances- "
Heh heh... I can just picture you shaking your tail feather. "
Ha!hahahaha!....also..I knew a few people who hated the voice acting as well....I told them they're from Osaka, that part of japan took on the Western culture (ours) and thats why in the original Japanese voice it sounded sorta western..and the English dub was perfect for it...its not easy to do a Osaka accent..hell not easy to voice act in general!
Post by SilverZeo (58 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I remember watching this late at night back in High School... I love the space episode!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel