Guess What's On Pre-Order Now? Hint: It's "51 Ways..."

Topic started by gia on March 27, 2010. Last post by constanzadellarosa 4 years, 5 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
 I don't normally do a lot of posts just saying "lookie here! There's a product available for preorder!" (not including figures, of course), but I'm really excited for this title, and honestly, it's not like CMX gets a ton of love in the press. And this is one a lot of people are buzzing about, so you should be familiar. And now you can be! Here we go:

Title: 51 Ways to Save Her (Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou, 彼女を守る51の方法)
Author: Usamaru Furuya 
NA Publisher: CMX
Genre: Survival

Summary:

On an unnamed island in Japan, two former junior high school classmates reunite by accident: gothic lolita Nanako Okano and job-seeker Jin Mishima. Only moments later, an earthquake registers an 8.1 on the Richter scale and lays waste to the city. The two must work together, along with anyone else they meet, in order to survive the disaster.

Trivia:

• Based on a novel by Minoru Watanabe, who researched what would actually happen in the event of such an earthquake and applied it to his story.
  • Furuya has been published in the US before: his manga Garo appeared in VIZ's PULP Manga Magazine (anyone else remember it?) during its run. In it, Furuya suggested that people in Japan have a lot of misconceptions about America, and hopes that manga can help the two groups overcome them.
  • Given the above, it should come as no surprise that Furuya's works are well-known for showing you characters that impose a stereotype upon themselves, and then breaking the stereotype down to expose the character for what he or she truly is.

The first volume is now on sale at Right Stuf for $9.74, and on Amazon for $10.39; the SRP is $12.99. Oh, and it's also due out on September 7th. I, for one, can't wait.

How about you? Sound interesting?    
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I'm confused, is it a survive a few days until the rescue plains arrive to save us? Or a survive for months, possibly years, in this waste land scenario? If it's like an anime take on surviving a natural disaster that will play out over a long period of time similar to say "The Walking Dead" comics, then it sounds interesting; other wise, not so much.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@crusader8463: Good question! I believe it's a bit longer-term; the entire metro area where they live is essentially ruins after the earthquake.
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@gia: Sounds good, but do you know if it is planned to be an ongoing series or does it have a set amount of issues already? It sounds like it could be an interesting story, but if they try to continue it past its logical conclusion then i think it may detract from the series as a whole. I personally hope for something along the lines of a four to five print manga with around a hundred or so pages in each. I think that would give it enough time to progress the story over a long period of time, with lots of character development and story twists, without the story falling into a place where they try to artificially lengthen the story or just drag it on past a satisfactory end point.

EDIT: Never mind, i found it online. It appears to have roughly three volumes, with ten chapters in each.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

This sounds interesting... but I'll wait for it to be released rather than pre-order it :)
Post by transgojobot (122 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Honestly, after having read Dragon Head and seen Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I'm not all that anxious to dive back into to "survival stories". Maybe I'll give it look a few months or years down the road.
Post by Hanyaan (10 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I am going to buy this just because I am a shameless fangirl for Usamaru Furuya and I can't pass up the chance to own Furuya manga in English!
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Sounds a little like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 with teenage lead characters instead of children.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Sounds a little like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 with teenage lead characters instead of children.
Post by constanzadellarosa (234 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Hum, I smell a trend in here. But after living a real big frickin earthquake (I live in Chile) I dunno if I would pick it up...
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel