As the entire school quickly spirals into chaos, more players jump into the fight, handmade weapons at the ready. New enemy traits are discovered, and the survivors realize the situation they're really in.
As two other survivors, Saya Takagi and Kohta Hirano, try to avoid the zombies, Rei tries to contact her father, who tells her the city is in complete chaos before being cut off. Meanwhile, kendo club president Saeko Busujima saves the school nurse, Shizuka Marikawa, from more zombies. Kohta manages to piece together a nail gun, while Takashi and Rei manage to stop the zombies on their end. As Kohta runs out of ammunition and Saya starts to buckle under the pressure, the other survivors join them to take out the zombies. As they make plans to journey to Takashi's house to check on the safety of their families, they learn that the outbreak is much worse than they thought.
Points of Interest
- The early scene of Saya and Kohta before they reached the shop class was not in the manga version of the story.
- Rei's father, Tadashi Miyamoto, is heard in this episode but he is never seen in this series. He's voiced by Jin Urayama, and Steven Knight in the English dub.
- This is the first episode that Saeko Busujima is officially voiced.
- In the English dub of the series, Kazu Ishii introduces himself to Saeko using the Japanese tradition of family name first, but she starts with her given name.
- Opening Theme: "HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD" by Kishida Kyodan and the Akeboshi Rockets
- Ending Theme: "color me dark" by Maon Kurosaki