Erza's battle resumes as she fights Azuma. Despite how strong Azuma is and how Erza's exhausted, Erza's resolve and her friends help her gain victory.
Erza tells Azuma that she never trades power for her friends; Azuma replies that he can wish to fight her fair, but he destroys the Tenrou Tree and lets Erza's strength not diminish. He wants to test Erza's conviction with her friend's lives at stake.
Elsewhere in the forest, Natsu and the others struggle to get up, but their strength is zapped as they faint. Back to Gray, Ultear explains to Gray about the Tenrou's tree's powers while the baffled Meldy helps Juvia. Among the trees, Azuma answers Erza's questions, and the two resume their battling. Erza rushes at Azuma with her Heaven Wheel Armor. Yet, Azuma blocks her rain of swords with his vines. He attacks with Ramus Sica and with a root fist. Erza quickly changes into her flight armor and lands some hits on Azuma. Though, Azuma knocks Erza down who uses her Adamantine armor to defend. Then, Azuma bombards her with vines and roots. When Erza requips into her Lightning Empress to get close to Azuma, Azuma knocks her down with his roots. Suddenly, the two start beating each other with fists until Azuma tries to use his magic. Erza requips in her Giant's armor but to no avail. On the rebound, she uses her Purgatory armor. Yet, she gets caught underneath, and Azuma blasts her with Tower Burst.
On her feet, Erza thinks how to beat Azuma, but she thinks about her seduction armor. She refuses to act like Lucy. Then, she requips into her fight robes and concentrates her remaining magic into Benizakura, Fairy Sword. She leaps at Azuma with her friends' lives going through her head. However, Erza gets caught in Azuma's roots, and Azuma uses the Tenrou island's magic for his Terra Clamare attack. Meanwhile at headquarters, Jellal senses Erza's in the fight of her life. The other Fairy Tail guild members struggle with their battles and getting up. Natsu wonders if everyone is safe. Back to Jellal, his muttering makes the guards wonder what he is doing. Despite how nice the green guard is, the purple guard proceeds to torture Jellal by shocking him to demonstrate how weak Jellal is. On the floor, Jella tells Erza (telepathically?) to not give up, and Erza gets Jellal's message and a rush of flashbacks of Jellal. She wakes and tells herself that Jellal is gone. Erza overwhelms Azuma at first and thwarts Azuma's attacks. Yet, she gets caught in Azuma's roots, and as she struggles, she remembers Jellal's last words.
As the battle heightens, Azuma blasts Erza with his Terra Clamare which everyone sees on the island. As Erza falls in defeat, Jellal and her friends start to appear in her vision and give her the power. Erza breaks free and uses the magic of Tenrou Island to defeat Azuma with all of her might. Azuma's left shoulder bleeds (sparkling), and Jella smiles because he knows Erza has won.
Points of Interest
- Erza's Fairy Sword, Benizakura, is used for the first time in this episode.
- Makarov, Juvia, Cana appear in this episode but did not talk due to their exhausted state. Pantherlily, Gildartz, Levy, and Lisanna are seen in Erza's vision. (Seiyuu note)
- Cameos: Daphne makes an appearance in the prison when Jellal is shown around 13:57.
- Censorship: Azuma's bleeding is sparkling white.
- Erza - Blumenblatt
- Azuma - Folium Sica, Ramus Sica, Tower Burst
- Erza's Armors: Heaven Wheel, Flight, Admantine, Lightning Empress, Giant's, Purgatory, Fight Robes
- Benizakura - Erza's Fairy Sword
- Erza: "I am not protecting everyone! It is I... who is always .. being protected!"
Manga & Anime Differences
This episode covers chapters 236 and 237 of volume 28.
- The manga has Erza use less armors than in the anime. She did not use Admantine, Giant, Purgatory, or Lightning Empress armors in the manga.
- In the manga, Erza gets blast with Tower Burst while in her soaring/ or flight armor. Compared to the anime, Erza is in her Purgatory armor.
Purgatory & Flight Armor Change
- In the manga, Jellal's cell is different from the anime because it's a regular barred prison. The anime has him in a crystal cell.
- Censorship: Azuma bleeds in the manga while in the anime, he bleeds sparkling white.
Censorship of Azuma's bleeding scene
Anime Only Scenes
- Erza and Azuma's hand-to-hand combat
- Natsu and the others' appearances between Erza and Azuma's battle
- Daphne is filler only and appears as a cameo
|Japanese Episode Name|
"Eruza vs. Azuma" (エルザ vs. アズマ)
|Manga Chapter||236 and 237|
|Opening Theme||"I Wish" by Milky Bunny|
|Ending Theme||"Boys be Ambitious!!" (ボーイズ・ビー・アンビシャス) by Hi-Fi Camp|