Prediction: Light and Misa are going to die at the hands (pens?) of their respective Kira counterparts (kounterparts?), Mikami and Takada. It just seems like that’s the set-up this show's going for, harping on the dangers of trusting the death note with anybody but yourself. As for Mikami… I can just see a scene where Light doesn’t match up to his exact conception of justice and him not taking it it well. Then again, he's got a fake death note, now, so he could just be getting set-up as the fall guy. With Misa, she's already got this really catty rivalry with Takada. Did anybody else see that ridiculous dinner scene as a bizarre parody of L and Light’s dialogues? It was like Misa was trying to be sly, but she was woefully under-qualified for such verbal gymnastics.
And speaking of stupid… I’ve concluded that Matsuda must’ve been somebody’s nephew. That’s the only way he could've got on the force. Though, I’m still highly amused by his hooting and hollering over Light’s little meetings with Takada. I can't say I've ever seen a wiretap session play out like an episode of MAURY. And while we’re on pop culture, how bizarre is it that Takada’s hosting that East/West pop concert? Television personality AND herald of death… that’d be like, I don’t know, Brooke Burke also happening to be a priestess of the Cult of Kali.
Some scatter-shot observations….
- Near’s just got his fingers wrapped around the Hamburglar, doesn’t he? And, by that, I mean he’s closing in on Kira like a vise. All he needs to do at this point is disprove the fake 13 day rule, right?
- Another prediction: the Eiffel tower going to factor into the climax somehow. Unless there’s another building that looks just like it in Japan. They just keep harping on it. Near’s building a model of it (with glue sticks!), there’s that symbolic scene of him and Light rising up through it on an elevator. It seems like that’s what they’re going for.
- Okay… just how well thought-out is that the SPK’s double agent’s cover? Takada’s got three manly lady Karate champions, and then there's this one American blond. It’s like those SESAME STREET skits. “One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn’t belong…”
- And speaking of the task force. Sheesh… they’re just coming out of the wood work, aren’t they? This gets back to what I was saying earlier about Kira’s opponents seeming to only be limited by the number of bodies. I probably only remember Gevanni because he’s got such a peculiar name.
- Also, I can't believe I didn't comment on this for the actual episode, but that part where Mello's mob associates first see Sidoh and are like, "Ey yo... it's one of dem shiny-gahmees" was unintentionally hysterical.