Tempers flare in the House of Saya Takagi. Decisions must be made, and a leader must be chosen. Honor, love, devotion, and mercy are put to the test, and a man from the group's past makes an unexpected return.
Saya tries to calm down a group of survivors who refuse to accept their current situation. Takashi is appointed the leader by the others, much to his surprise. Soichiro later gives Saeko a prized katana as thanks for protecting his daughter and gratitude to Saeko's father for teaching him. As the group makes plans to go and rescue their remaining families, Shido and his followers arrive at the mansion, to which an angry Rei charges up to him with her bayonet. Rei reveals she hates Shido because his father, a corrupt politician, asked him to force Rei to repeat a year as revenge against her father, who was investigating him for corruption. Soichiro arrives and tells Rei that Shido's fate is in her hands, but Rei decides he is not worth killing which Soichiro has Shido and his followers leave as they have become corrupt. Elsewhere, a US submarine has been given orders by the succeeding President to launch a controversial preemptive nuclear strike at China, North Korea, and Russia, while the crew at the International Space Station watches in horror as both the US and Russia launch their ICBMs at each other.
Points of Interest
- The events that led up to Yamada's expulsion from Shidou's cult are present in the manga version, but were cut from the anime.
- Saeko stops herself from saying Takashi's given name in front of Soichiro. In Japanese culture, using a person's given name rather than their family name can give the impression of a close relationship due to the lack of formality. Her initial use of his given name shows her character is feeling closer to Takashi. This can also be seen later when Takashi is talking to Soichiro about Rei's parents.
- What was left out of Koichi Shidou's back story is that he was passed over for his father's successor for his younger half-brother. The product of his affair with another woman while he was still married to Koichi's mother.
- Alice, Zeke, and Yuriko Takagi are seen in this episode but have no spoken lines.
- Opening Theme: "HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD" by Kishida Kyodan and the Akeboshi Rockets
- Ending Theme: "Hollow Men" by Maon Kurosaki