Watch & Learn: COWBOY BEBOP #22

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 3, 2010. Last post by Mutant_God 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
  You think about it... a furry probably WOULD be the most terrifying villain of all.
 You think about it... a furry probably WOULD be the most terrifying villain of all.

I suppose it was inevitable that these space cowboys would eventually run afoul a “real” cowboy.

This is definitely another example of the best kind of COWBOY BEBOP episodes. Referring to my earlier formula for success, I’d say you also need these episodes to tie-up in a meaningful way, preferably with a punch line. That was my issue with the last one with the Feng Shui girl… it just kind of ended. But this… you get the doozy of a closer with the samurai gag (which has the added bonus of reminding me of a Phil Collins music video.)

Speaking of music, they might not be playing "Susudio" or "Easy Lover," but I'm  so glad to see (hear) the soundtrack referencing Morricone’s spaghetti western scores. Oddly enough, I was just musing about the shortage of memorable movie scores these days over at Screened, and I pointed to his work in the talkbacks as something that, sadly, wouldn’t be considered fashionable today.   

  I'm going to guess this character was named after they watched TOY STORY.
 I'm going to guess this character was named after they watched TOY STORY.

The Teddy Bomber’s another great addition to steadily-increasing rogue’s gallery of great villains in the show (an outfit that definitely doesn’t include Vicious.) I’d add Jake the cowboy to that list to, as he is a foil for Spike. I'm not so sure about them being two sides of the same coin, though  I do think they might’ve been voiced by the same guy?   Speaking of which, w hile my mind was initially blown when somebody pointed out that Spike is voiced by the same actor who voices Leeronin GURREN LAGANN, I’m starting to notice a little Leeron asserting himself in the voice work.

Heh, and I was definitely in agreement with Faye about his yacht living room being one of the tacky decorated rooms ever. He didn't even need a leopard skin rug! And Jet’s hippy costume with him rocking the weed shirt was a hoot too.  

 “Hey, don’t forget about peace and love, everybody!” 

This episode’s another example of why I’m seriously digging this show. It’s just so eclectic.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &     here .

Post by frsty13 (30 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Loved this episode.  One of the funniest of the bunch.  Teddy Bomber really was a great character.  His reactions to the other characters really made him perfect for this episode. 
 
As for Jake and Spike being "two sides of the same coin", they both have a habit of throwing themselves at the situation with reckless abandon, but outside of that, I don't really see it either.  If you want a character who's really cut from the same cloth as Spike, check out Vincent from the Cowboy Bebop movie after you've finished the series and compare him to Spike in the last two episodes.  
Post by SamJaz (11,612 posts) See mini bio Level 19
You've only got another two episodes of fun left. The final two episodes are the most perfect ending to an anime ever.
 
Now would be an excelent time to point out that the next episode in the timeline is the Knocking On Heaven's Door movie, which is most excellent and features the best Cowboy Bebop villain in my opinion. 
The movie (not the one with Keanu Reaves that was cancelled, the 2001 animated feature.) takes place between episodes 22 and 23, so it's worth checking out.
 
In fact, screw worth checking it out. Knocking On Heaven's Door is awesome to the level of the Grand Finale of Cowboy Bebop, one of the greatest endings of all anime. You hate Vicious? You'll love Vincent. No angsting, no overarching plot, it's exactly what you need to prepare you for the next four episodes of dark and serious.
 
Steve Blum, Spike's Voice Actor, was also Eikichi Onizuka, Wolverine, Vincent Valentine, and Jack Shepard in Lost. Yes, he's that good of a voice actor, he's better than the actual character.
Post by TriforceF (105 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@SamJaz said:
" You've only got another two episodes of fun left. The final two episodes are the most perfect ending to an anime ever.  Now would be an excelent time to point out that the next episode in the timeline is the Knocking On Heaven's Door movie, which is most excellent and features the best Cowboy Bebop villain in my opinion.  The movie (not the one with Keanu Reaves that was cancelled, the 2001 animated feature.) takes place between episodes 22 and 23, so it's worth checking out.  In fact, screw worth checking it out. Knocking On Heaven's Door is awesome to the level of the Grand Finale of Cowboy Bebop, one of the greatest endings of all anime. You hate Vicious? You'll love Vincent. No angsting, no overarching plot, it's exactly what you need to prepare you for the next four episodes of dark and serious.  
I second that. Tom, you need to watch Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Plus it'll tie neatly in as it is also based during Halloween-isque holiday. Ed running around with a pumpkin on her head FTW X D
Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
This and Faye's back story are my favorite episodes.  It's a shame that the series ends how it does.  I could have watched a couple more seasons of the gang getting into random adventures across the galaxy.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@frsty13 said:
" Loved this episode.  One of the funniest of the bunch.  Teddy Bomber really was a great character.  His reactions to the other characters really made him perfect for this episode.  As for Jake and Spike being "two sides of the same coin", they both have a habit of throwing themselves at the situation with reckless abandon, but outside of that, I don't really see it either.  If you want a character who's really cut from the same cloth as Spike, check out Vincent from the Cowboy Bebop movie after you've finished the series and compare him to Spike in the last two episodes.   "
I think their facial structure is similar too. 
 
I need to see if my friend has the movie, or if I can find it on Netflix.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I thought the Teddy Bomber's monologues were very well written.  The bit about buildings being symbols was insightful, and the bit about how everyone missed the point of his actions fit well dramatically (kinda cathartic).  Typically when you have a villain who sees himself as the one sane man in a sea of insanity, he comes off as crazy, but the Teddy Bomber came off as sympathetic.  Evil, but sympathetic, and very, very sane.
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I flat out loved the final fight scene between Spike and the other guy. It managed to be both intense and ridiculous at the same time.
 
Definitely one of my favorite episodes
Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18
I don't know why, but this is somewhere in my top list of Bebop episodes for the weird anachronistic cowboy alone.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Am I the only one who saw this Jake guy as completely stupid? The guy is a nut and must have someone to tell him where the Bomber would attack next. Jake's "See you Space Cowboy.", was foreseeable and the Samurai at the end was just another pushing gag. 

For me, Cowboy Bebop is ok at best. Some boring episodes and just not entirely appealing overall.
 
@Tom_Pinchuk:

The most certainly is a Cowboy Bebop movie on Netflix for Instant Watch.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
The Bebop movie has an awesome soundtrack.
  
    
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@sotyfan16 said:
" Am I the only one who saw this Jake guy as completely stupid? The guy is a nut and must have someone to tell him where the Bomber would attack next. Jake's "See you Space Cowboy.", was foreseeable and the Samurai at the end was just another pushing gag. 

For me, Cowboy Bebop is ok at best. Some boring episodes and just not entirely appealing overall.
 
@Tom_Pinchuk:

The most certainly is a Cowboy Bebop movie on Netflix for Instant Watch. "
Jake being stupid was kind of the point. Did you SEE how he decorated his living room? 
 
I'll have to bug my roommate about putting the movie on his que.
Post by Mutant_God (206 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Whos Jake I thought the cowboy's name was Andy
Top Editors
Top Posters
SamJaz
24 posts
vergilius
17 posts
No_name_here
17 posts
Little_Sparrow
16 posts
gla55jAw
15 posts
FoxxFireArt
14 posts
zaldar
13 posts
sotyfan16
11 posts
gia
10 posts
GMan
10 posts
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel