I'm Sorry, What? New Code Geass?!

Topic started by gia on Dec. 4, 2009. Last post by Jarmel 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

 Come, join me on my new adventure...of quasi-EEEEEVIL!
 Come, join me on my new adventure...of quasi-EEEEEVIL!
Oh, my friends, there isn't a lot of information to be had on this just yet, but...there is a new Code Geass project in the works! Spotted via 2ch, more about the "new birth" will come out in 2010, according "Zero," talking on a mobile phone site (which explains why it looks like so much arse on a full-screen computer).

 Lelouch, Suzaku, Nunnally, and a tiiiny C.C.
 Lelouch, Suzaku, Nunnally, and a tiiiny C.C.
Such things have always been a possibility-- an inevitability, if you consider the popularity of the series --but this is the first official word that something was definitely ongoing.

What form will it take? What does it mean, that it'll be a "new birth" of the series? And while the image is anime, there's also a small chance that it's not an anime project at all-- it could be live-action, or even a new manga, although that seems less likely to create such fanfare.

Let the speculation begin! What will it be? What do you WANT it to be? (I'm personally hoping that they'll animating the Nightmare of Nunnally, an AU take on the series in which Lelouch's little sister scores her own Geass ability.)
Post by kira112 (1,066 posts) See mini bio Level 9

omg really and how is it possible then he survived at the end then;o
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Maybe it's time that I finally watch the show.
Post by Hellos (2,482 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Zombie Lelouch comes from the grave to haunt the living once more!
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Moderator
I really enjoyed this series. So few animes can really evoke an emotional impact at the end. This series did. It was wild when we see the "Zero" standing before Emperor Lelouch. It all fell into place. Watching Nunnally crying over her brother's body. The look of horror as Kallen realized what was happening, and as she was holding back tears admitting as she looked to Lelouch. It was just heartbreaking. A thousand times more in the Japanese version.
 
Lelouch is one of my favorite anime characters. I really don't want them to mess with that ending. I wasn't 'happy' with the ending, but it was satisfying none the less. To have a hero make him self the enemy of the world so he could bring peace to it.
 
I'm more curious if they are going to take the property and make it more like a Gundam series. A new story with a different twist of events. I am praying this wont be a prequel.
 
I don't really know if they could do live action. Those voices are just so iconic to the characters. Not to mention that live action versions of such sci-fi heavy shows always feel goofy.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Hellos: You're assuming he died.
 
Dun dun dun.
Post by Hellos (2,482 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Niko: 
  
  
Post by aurahack (15 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Not... sure how they'd take that series in any direction that would make it more... "creative" than the second season.  
 
If there is a return, I hope it's more about the whole political strife/mech battle/rebellion acts themes the first season explored. I somehow got kinda annoyed at the second season's decision to just be like AHHH HAHAHAHA SUPERNATURAL WHAT I DUNNO DUDE GODS AND POWERS AND SHIT.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@FoxxFireArt: I liked using the end as an excuse to explain the entire series as a biblical allegory.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@aurahack: In all honesty, if its an animated feature then it'll probably be one of the two offshoot universes, Knightmare of Nunnally and Suzaku of the Counterattack,
 
@Hellos: HA! I haven't seen that thing in weeks now.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I liked Code Geass and all, but I'm not so sure that they should continue the series, I feel like it'd just be milking the series for more money (and they must have got mad bucks from Pizza Hut already, I mean come on.  Could they have defined 'product placement' any harder than they already did).
 
The only way I could really see it working would be taking place in the same world, maybe X number of years in the future with a [mostly] new cast of characters.  I feel that the current cast is pretty well resolved by the end of the second season, and they couldn't continue it without some heavy retconning.  If that were the case (same world, new cast) I would probably dig it.   Not a prequel, but an actual continuation of the world.
 
I mean, if they end up having a certain character that shall remain nameless for spoilers end up surviving a certain event at the end of season 2, it'd ruin the impact of that entire ending for me.  That was what gave it impact to me, I hate it when series/games make the character alright afterall (looking at you Persona 4).  It just really takes the impact out of such scenes.  I'm not saying I want characters to die left and right, but the way it happened in Geass is what made the entire ending (and thus the series) worth watching.  It was an emotional impact that would just be greatly lessened by a cheap ploy for more money.
 
If they DON'T do that, and either continue with the remaining cast or take place in a future well past any of the characters lifespans, then I am all for it.  It's a great series with great character designs ( <3 you CLAMP) and a really strong story.  If that can make that happen in a new way without butchering what came before it?  Bring it on.
Post by aurahack (15 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@John_Martone said:
" @aurahack: In all honesty, if its an animated feature then it'll probably be one of the two offshoot universes, Knightmare of Nunnally and Suzaku of the Counterattack,
Christ, I've been missing out on some stuff. I was unaware of both mentioned there D: Serves me right for having my mind set on nothing but Darker than Black.  
 
Don't know what they entail, all I can really decipher is that the crew at Sunrise picking the titles for their series' suffer heavily from aphasia or something.
Post by eldiax (130 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Addfwyn said:
"I mean, if they end up having a certain character that shall remain nameless for spoilers end up surviving a certain event at the end of season 2, it'd ruin the impact of that entire ending for me.  That was what gave it impact to me, I hate it when series/games make the character alright afterall (looking at you Persona 4).  It just really takes the impact out of such scenes.  I'm not saying I want characters to die left and right, but the way it happened in Geass is what made the entire ending (and thus the series) worth watching.  It was an emotional impact that would just be greatly lessened by a cheap ploy for more money.  "
 
I really really hope they won't do that. Then the whole Zero Requiem wouldn't make any sense at all. But then again, if they don't do that,  they have to try hard to make it more interesting than season 2. The ending season 2 left us with didn't make any room for a new season and ended the series perfectly, so I'm really interested in how can they make it better. If they can make it better.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@aurahack: You and me both. This season has been pretty interesting IMO.
 
@eldiax said:
" @Addfwyn said:
"I mean, if they end up having a certain character that shall remain nameless for spoilers end up surviving a certain event at the end of season 2, it'd ruin the impact of that entire ending for me.  That was what gave it impact to me, I hate it when series/games make the character alright afterall (looking at you Persona 4).  It just really takes the impact out of such scenes.  I'm not saying I want characters to die left and right, but the way it happened in Geass is what made the entire ending (and thus the series) worth watching.  It was an emotional impact that would just be greatly lessened by a cheap ploy for more money.  "
 I really really hope they won't do that. Then the whole Zero Requiem wouldn't make any sense at all. But then again, if they don't do that,  they have to try hard to make it more interesting than season 2. The ending season 2 left us with didn't make any room for a new season and ended the series perfectly, so I'm really interested in how can they make it better. If they can make it better. "
Both Knightmare of Nunnally and Suzaku of the Counterattack take place in another universe, so it doesn't have to conflict with the established lore, or follow it. Well, I think Suzaku might just "Lelouch of the Rebellion" from Suzaku's eyes... but Nunnally is about what if she got a geass instead of lelouche, or something to that effect, but I haven't read them.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Moderator
@John_Martone: There are actually three offshoot series. There is a lesser known and hard to find series. It's sort of the same Code Geass story, but with an ancient Japanese twist. Code Geass: Tales of an Alternate Shogunate. It all takes place in the era of Japan when they had only recently lifted the isolationist policy. In the series Geass is the ability to call upon and summon armored creatures called "Knightmares".
 
I don't get quite what you mean by the biblical allegory. If you mean sacrificing one's self to save the world, the analogy is a bit off. Lelouch died after making the whole world hate him after he had conquered it. Only the smallest handful of people realized what had happened and they weren't to talk about it. Jesus wasn't actively setting himself up to be killed. It was more just his fate it would happen, and the story was suppose to be spread of his actions.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You know... I could do without any more Geass
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
It could be a game. I'm not interested in any more Geass.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Niko:
I can see how they must have decided this. 
"You know, we had a fantastic, very final and close-up-show series..... Let's piss all over that". 
 
If they really are going to do something... let it be an alternate take. Don't ruin a good thing.
Post by haseo_yashimora (5,507 posts) See mini bio Level 14

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  i hope it happens!!
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@FoxxFireArt: Shogunate would be an interesting choice. I'm debating whether it's more likely or less than the other two manga series; Shogunate runs in Kerokero Ace, which skews a bit younger than Comp Ace (Nightmare of Nunnally) or Beans Ace (Suzaku of the Counter-Attack). On the one hand, it's entirely plausible that they might try to bring in newer, slightly younger fans; on the other, it's also possible that they'll want to skew more towards the already-established older fans.
 
And of course, there is still the possibility that it'll be something entirely unrelated to any of these series-- a prequel, a much-later sequel, a completely new reimagining, etc.
Top Editors
Top Posters
FoxxFireArt
10 posts
John_Martone
7 posts
ninjadude853
7 posts
Niko
6 posts
InfiniteGeass
4 posts
yorro
3 posts
YoYo
3 posts
HeeroYuy
3 posts
Void_Wizard
3 posts
gia
3 posts
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel