Brittle Bullet is the fifth episode in FLCL. The episode parodies gun-fu action films and animes, as well as dropping hints of Haruko's true intentions.
When Kamon sees Naota kissing Haruko, which is actually due to Naota's newest horn forcing him into her lips, he challenges him to a battle with B.B. guns: winner winning the heart of the fair Haruko. After the battle, which is interrupted when Amarao sends Kitsurabami to take out Canti (which back fires) and forces kamon into the river, Naota learns that his friends have gotten a part-time job driving making deliveries.
"What's with the eyebrows, loverboy?"
Naota meets up with Mamimi where they discuss his relationship with Haruko, which she thinks is becoming intimate, referring to Haruko's behavior earlier on. Meanwhile, in a salon, Haruko does battle with Amarao and his thugs. He hints about Canti's relationship to the space pirate Atomisk, referring to past occurrences where Canti's screen lit red and displayed his insignia. As the battle continues, Natota is, meanwhile, trying to convince Mamimi that he likes her and not Haruko; who he blames for all the strange incidents throughout the series. When he tries to kiss her, his hood comes off: revealing his latest horn, which resembles the hammer for a single action revolver.
Suddenly, as the familiar siren blasts out from the Medical Mechanica building, the latest robot comes out of Natoa's head, taking he and Mamimi with it. Back on the ground, Amarao has lost his eyebrows during his battle with Haruko. Preparing to do battle with the robot, she smacks Amarao with her guitar: hinting that since he has lost his eyebrows, Haruko can now open a portal in his head. However, it only provides Haruko with a small, pick-like object. She taunts Amarao onces more and flies off.
The robot, seen as a slim, stories-tall figure in a brown trenchcoat and matching hat, starts to lumber towards the MM building, with Naota and Mamimi on ontop its head holding on for dear life. Suddenly, Haruko appears, now wearing a bunny costume, and attacks the behemoth with a sling-shot. In the chaos, Mamimi calls out for Naota's brother pleading fruitlessly that he will come to protect her. Instead Naota, upset at what's she's doing, calls out for Canti and climbs in his mouth, yelling at Mamimi; demanding that she "never [call him] 'Takun' again".
Back at the battle, Haruko is starting to run out of ammo while the creature seems to have an
Don't ever call him 'Takun' again!
endless amount: pulling various guns out from beneath its trenchcoat. Suddently Canti, who had first dropped off Mamimi with Naota's freinds, comes to assist her and turns into his cannon form. After a couple shots, the bot repels his attack (which is Naota being launched as a spherical projectile) into a billboard. At one point, we see that the robot is (once again) in the shape of a giant hand, which smaller limbs attached to its fingers holding its weapon stockpile. After saving Haruko, who had been blasted away by the robot's attack, Canti's screen glows read. On the ground, Amarao dreads that the creature may make it to the building and "activate it".
But then, a blinding light emits from Canti's screen. He reaches into it and pulls out Atomisk's own guitar: a 1961 Gibson EB-0. He flies over and bashes the guitar into the beast, felling it. Back on the surface, Kamon has managed to pull himself from the river: only to be thrown back into it by falling debris. Naota starts to come to, but is stepped on by Haruko: who just gazes into Canti's face and udders "Atomisk". In the background, the remains of the robot changes into the form of what looks like a human hand.
Trivia and Additional Notes
- The episode focuses heavily on guns and action movies, the latter being the most obvious from its over-the-top action scenes.
- Kamon is first seen dressed as the character Lupin the Third, in his red suit. Kamon also asks Naota if he prefers the green suit seen in the Castle of Cagliostro. Also, to end the scene, Kamon and Haruko re-enact the famous gag from the Lupin the Third opening titles where Lupin (Kamon) jumps out of his clothes only to be hit by a giant boxing glove with Fujiko covering herself up as the scene goes red. This then cuts to the title being typed out with a typewriter.
- During the BB gun fight, Kamon is seen dressed in a Nazi uniform, for unknown reasons.
- In the English dub Haruko, dressed in a comical Elvis Presley costume, names off a list of Western musicians when trying to convince Naota to start playing guitar. She names off examples like Filter, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paul McCartney, and Rage Against the Machine. She even names Mr. T, who Naota points out isn't a musician.
- In a popular scene, the animation cuts out to that of South Park's style, complete with the voice actor doing a close imitation of Matt Stone's voice work.
- During the climax, Haruko is seen in her bunny suit. She also shouts "Daicon V" a reference to a convention where the suit was originally from.