So you've seen me post responses on the message board 2ch from Japanese viewers about various pieces of news before. But since I saw a lot of you guys questioning whether Akira on Blu-Ray was worth considering, I thought I'd try a new-but-similar tack: translating some of the reviews from Amazon.co.jp, where the release has been given an average of three stars.
That score isn't really very accurate, since currently only a few reviews are actually from the time frame within which people could have acquired copies of the materials (many people used reviews to comment on the price prior to its release),
- Daichi – 5 stars - “The image quality/sound quality is excellent...a must-have version for fans.”
- hirohirohello – 5 stars - “If you're a fan of anime or this work, definitely buy it.”
- KIA – 2 stars - “As expected, an old-fashioned cel anime looks very clear in HD.”
- Marin – 1 star - “The old laser disc version was ¥7000. It had the best quality.” NOTE: this review was posted two months prior to the BD's release (as were many of the posted reviews; other than this I only included more timely ones), but I thought it was an interesting thing to point out.
And one more interesting take...
- Tetsu – 3 stars - “The Tokyo collapse scene had a white spot in the upper portion of the screen originally, whose removal was the only thing I wanted from the BD version. The expected superb audio and image quality made it irresistible in spite of the price. It's uncouth to compare, but the American release is only half the cost.”
So there you have it...the customers seem pretty satisfied with the quality of the product, albeit unhappy with the high price.
Pre-order from Amazon and support Anime Vice!