Details Emerge About The Cancelled Live Action Akira Movie

Topic started by No_name_here on July 13, 2011. Last post by ironapollo 3 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
"Change what you want, but the stickers stay..."
"Change what you want, but the stickers stay..."

Throughout all the craziness of the last week, more details about the seeming cancellation of the live-action AKIRA remake have been swirling up like so much mutating bio-mechanical flesh. The last news we heard was that the Hughes Brothers had amicably stepped away from the project to put their time and talents onto other projects. At that point, the apparent plan was for the project to move ahead with new directors, but IO9’s said that the tent’s been brought down and the windows have been boarded up for the whole thing.

Teasingly enough, comics artist Chris Weston has shared a few tidbits on his blog about his year-long experience as a conceptual designer on the unrealized project. Most scandalously, he reveals that his first task was to redesign Kaneda’s signature motorcycle. He tried his best to keep it true to the bike’s iconic shape, while still infusing it with some more grounded tech. details and the visible wear and tear that frequent road combat would entail. Who knows if any of this would-be AKIRA’s production art will ever leak like Weta’s EVANGELION studies did, but we can now be pretty sure that there’s just mountains of it.

I wasn’t spitting blood about this like many of you lunatics were, but I guess this is an averted pop cultural crisis for many. Though, considering how Weston describes the casting rumors as “bollocks,” I’d be curious as what the signal-to-noise ratio was for all that reports we got about this over this past year.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator

This is an example of a realistic remake of the bike. Changing it sounds bad on paper but something like this being on the silver screen would make me lol immediately upon seeing it.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Well that's too bad. I was hoping this would make it through production and finally be a good live-action US adaptation despite the artistic, scenic, and story changes.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Moderator

@sickVisionz: I could see them using a bike similar to the one you showed in the image, just modified to look more sleek, advanced, and awesome for the film compared to the image posted.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Moderator

Can't say I'm upset about this. The first thing Hollywood seems to do with anime-based live actions movies is to "white wash" them. By that I mean making sure that the lead is always some white guy. We saw the same thing in the Prince of Persia movie. For some reason the Prince was a white guy with a Brit accent. You can't tell me that out of all of Hollywood you couldn't find one guy with a middle-eastern background. When they were casting for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they went out of their way to find an actual Bulgarian to play Viktor Krum. As if anyone would be able to tell the difference between a Bulgarian or any other Eastern European nation. That's dedication to your casting.

I wish they would stop making these half-assed live action movies and just concentrate on making some top quality animations, much in the tradition of the Evangelion Rebuild Project. They are using top of the line production to make amazing visuals that weren't possible during the era they were originally produced.

Redesigning the bike would be like redesigning the Millennium Falcon.

Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator

@FoxxFireArt said:

Redesigning the bike would be like redesigning the Millennium Falcon.

Except the Millennium Falcon was designed from the ground up to look good when filmed in live-action and this wasn't... to that it actually looks pretty silly when the design is kept identical.

Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Just putting it out there for a future feature when the statue of limitations about this movie lift.......but at one point friend of Whiskey Media Gary Whitta at once was being tapped as the screenwriter for the live action Akira film. He wrote an entire script that got green-lit and was going to be the script for the film but the studio hired new writers and was completely redone.

Post by Aetheldod (24 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Somethings are meant to stay in animation/manga ... thank the gods for the cancellation of this
Post by TheHT (16 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@sickVisionz said:

@FoxxFireArt said:

Redesigning the bike would be like redesigning the Millennium Falcon.

Except the Millennium Falcon was designed from the ground up to look good when filmed in live-action and this wasn't... to that it actually looks pretty silly when the design is kept identical.

Silly only if the world it's placed in differs from Neo-Tokyo. The only way I can imagine it being done and not looking goofy (that is, the entire Neo-Tokyo vibe) is if it were really stylized akin to Casshern or Goemon.
 
Though after reading the comic way back when the anime became significantly less significant. Stand out still, but not as untouchably awesome as I thought it was. A terribad live action flick wouldn't even matter to me so long as I got me that glorious manga.
Post by Ryokan (291 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@aetheldod said:
Somethings are meant to stay in animation/manga ... thank the gods for the cancellation of this

Yeah, at first, it's what I tought, but frankly, it can be awesomely made, just think of LotR, the Matrix or Inception. They can do it, but there's the problem.
 
Problem is, Hollywood is a nest of old producers who are more preoccupied by making cash than make awesome movie and who think the avrage viewer is a racist moron. Once in a while, when they feel they head is on the billboard, they do make some bold move, or they stole idea and adapt entirely into something else (Yeah !  I look at you George Lucas.) but otherwise, they tend to take the easy/lazy way... and fail miserably ! 
 
 
Post by infinitybiscuits (1 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@sickVisionz said:

This is an example of a realistic remake of the bike. Changing it sounds bad on paper but something like this being on the silver screen would make me lol immediately upon seeing it.

Okay… first of all, Kaneda's bike would awesome in real life if done RIGHT, and second of all, no, that looks pretty awful actually, you're right, but that's because it's a rubbish facsimile. Dude seriously, even the wheels are fake!!! That's your example!?!? Don't get me wrong, I've not yet seen a truly great real life version, but pretty much every single one that I HAVE seen was a damn sight better looking than that thing! :P 
 
Take this one for example (which was actually the first to my knowledge, used to promote the anime), not perfect (far from it actually), but still a damn site better looking than that awful example up there (even the seating position is wrong!)…
Speaking of something designed for live-action, the Tron Legacy bikes are a very good example of the fact this isn't always true in the age of CGI. The bike looks amazing on screen, in the correct context, but the real life ones (which unlike this hideous copy are quite accurate to the original design) simply look like a stylish joke, being way, WAY too uncomfortable to actually be of any use besides momentary showboating. You look at them for a bit, want to be impressed, and then laugh the moment anyone actually tries to ride it. :P
 
This, on the other hand, looks AWESOME. And why is that? Because this is actually a decent version of the original:
Notice for a start, that unlike the version you posted this CGI rendition actually looks like it might be made out of metal as opposed to plastic? (it looks more like a real life bike in general, actually…) And that certain parts are left unpainted to enhance the metal effect, much the same as many of the better model kits, and the original 'live' model created by Whitehouse? (And even in some of Otomo's original artwork, though only one or two pictures, like the one below). 

In other other words, all it needs is a little thing called ATTENTION TO DETAIL and it will be awesome. No need to fundamentally change the original design at all. I do like the comments by Weston about weathering and such though, you can see a little of that in the CGI shot as well and it works splendidly.
 
Also, I fully admit I signed up JUST to comment on what you said and the example you (and, as it turns out, he/Weston) used. It's nothing personal, just, that bike is probably one of the nicest designs of anything I've ever seen, and most real life renditions that aren't model kits look like plastic lumps of crap because, well, that's what they are. But you guys seem to have almost deliberately chosen the worst example out there on top of that, which doesn't help. 
 
If it was actually done right though, the original design would be a beautiful thing to behold. :)
Would love to see what the engineering guru's behind the modern Batmobile/Tumbler could do with this. Oh well, I guess we'll never know! )_)
 
P.S. Nice site you guys have here by the way. :)
Post by Dream (7,250 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
Post by Hailinel (74 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Dream said:

News about a live-action Akira film getting canned have been greatly exaggerated.

So they got a director with a terrible track record of movies like Orphan on board now?

Is Warner Bros. just trying to piss people off?

Post by Danial79 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Despite seeing no need to make a live-action version of the film, I still would have watched it if they did :)

Post by kimeraevet (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3
 
I couldn't have said it better myself.  
 
@infinitybiscuits
said:
@sickVisionz said:

This is an example of a realistic remake of the bike. Changing it sounds bad on paper but something like this being on the silver screen would make me lol immediately upon seeing it.

Okay… first of all, Kaneda's bike would awesome in real life if done RIGHT, and second of all, no, that looks pretty awful actually, you're right, but that's because it's a rubbish facsimile. Dude seriously, even the wheels are fake!!! That's your example!?!? Don't get me wrong, I've not yet seen a truly great real life version, but pretty much every single one that I HAVE seen was a damn sight better looking than that thing! :P 
 
Take this one for example (which was actually the first to my knowledge, used to promote the anime), not perfect (far from it actually), but still a damn site better looking than that awful example up there (even the seating position is wrong!)…
Speaking of something designed for live-action, the Tron Legacy bikes are a very good example of the fact this isn't always true in the age of CGI. The bike looks amazing on screen, in the correct context, but the real life ones (which unlike this hideous copy are quite accurate to the original design) simply look like a stylish joke, being way, WAY too uncomfortable to actually be of any use besides momentary showboating. You look at them for a bit, want to be impressed, and then laugh the moment anyone actually tries to ride it. :P
 
This, on the other hand, looks AWESOME. And why is that? Because this is actually a decent version of the original:
Notice for a start, that unlike the version you posted this CGI rendition actually looks like it might be made out of metal as opposed to plastic? (it looks more like a real life bike in general, actually…) And that certain parts are left unpainted to enhance the metal effect, much the same as many of the better model kits, and the original 'live' model created by Whitehouse? (And even in some of Otomo's original artwork, though only one or two pictures, like the one below). 

In other other words, all it needs is a little thing called ATTENTION TO DETAIL and it will be awesome. No need to fundamentally change the original design at all. I do like the comments by Weston about weathering and such though, you can see a little of that in the CGI shot as well and it works splendidly.  Also, I fully admit I signed up JUST to comment on what you said and the example you (and, as it turns out, he/Weston) used. It's nothing personal, just, that bike is probably one of the nicest designs of anything I've ever seen, and most real life renditions that aren't model kits look like plastic lumps of crap because, well, that's what they are. But you guys seem to have almost deliberately chosen the worst example out there on top of that, which doesn't help.   If it was actually done right though, the original design would be a beautiful thing to behold. :) Would love to see what the engineering guru's behind the modern Batmobile/Tumbler could do with this. Oh well, I guess we'll never know! )_)  P.S. Nice site you guys have here by the way. :)
Post by jamdown (23 posts) See mini bio Level 5
If Its possible to make a light cycle look Bad @$$, i'm pretty sure its possible with Akira' s bike
Post by ironapollo (1 posts) See mini bio Level 9
not so awesome!
Top Editors
Top Posters
FoxxFireArt
17 posts
sotyfan16
14 posts
sickVisionz
12 posts
GMan
8 posts
Hailinel
6 posts
Devilly
6 posts
ShadowKnight508
5 posts
Count_Zero
5 posts
Superevil225
5 posts
No_name_here
4 posts
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel