Between this and TEXHNOLYZE (the review of which will be coming soon), I’m realizing that there were a whole bunch of other tropes I should’ve discussed during that one Vice Pit session. AESTHETICA OF A ROGUE HERO falls under the classification of what I like to call “Stereotypical Anime” - - a somewhat vague term, I’ll admit, referring to any show that inescapably reminds you of the worst things mainstream society associates anime with.
Let’s see, we’ve got…
- A rushed pilot episode that doesn’t bother introducing its world, leading to undue confusion for even the savviest genre aficionado.
- A hero whose most salient gimmick is his quick draw panty raiding skills.
- A squad of sexy lady assassins dressed in maid outfits without much concern for the practicalities of such attire in the field.
- Revolving holographic runes that accompany very technical discussions of power levels in the middle of a fight.
- A chick with pink hair for no reason (not much of a demerit, but still part of the stereotype.)
And it stinks, because there are some interesting concepts, here. Honestly, the notion of there being some asylum that trains and rehabilitates traveling inter-dimensional warriors is interesting… but it’s set up so clumsily here that it may as well have tripped over both feet.
Also, since we just recorded a Vice Pit about the divisions and tensions between Eastern and Western genre audiences (that should be up tomorrow or Friday,) my viewing here's couched with a lot of bemusement over the smugness some otaku have about how manga/anime’s supposed to be so much more gender inclusive than American comics and cartoons. Look, I’m not going to turn this into some soap boax about gender roles in media… but there’s still no way to avoid saying that this is a borderline misogynist show.
Matters of fact: the "Rogue Hero" smuggles his subservient gal pal around, naked in a potato sack. I really hope at least somebody in the target audience got off on that, ‘cause it’s serving nobody if they didn’t.
Watch this episode, "New Game Plus” here and decide for yourself.